Mapex Meridian Bop kit

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very attractive kit. And 2.3 hoops included. Looks like a great formula to me.

GeeDeeEmm

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Put the tom mount closer to the player instead of the front of the bass drum. Why do all the drum makers do this?

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful drums. I’ve got a Pro M kit and checked a number of these Meridian kits when they were being sold. You’ve got a keeper there.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those were pretty popular about what 4 years ago? Pro-M were called then; whats the differences. I recall pondering at the time the Pro-M; they were there before Pearl Vision and Stage Custom (and others) did their decent 14x18" kits..

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not such a fan of Mapex kits, either, but a nice lacquer finish kit in bebop sizes is always welcome. Those are beautiful drums. I don't generally get calls for jazz gigs (wish I did), but a kit like that is quite nice for all the singer-songwriter and folk/ethnic gigs I do get.

It was great to see you at Lawton's, Bob. Good times!

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not such a fan of Mapex kits, either, but a nice lacquer finish kit in bebop sizes is always welcome. Those are beautiful drums. I don't generally get calls for jazz gigs (wish I did), but a kit like that is quite nice for all the singer-songwriter and folk/ethnic gigs I do get.

It was great to see you at Lawton's, Bob. Good times!
You as well Stu. I'll be in De. Maybe you can make it?

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice score Bob! I bought the identical kit to flip a few years back and I enjoyed the kit so much they never left. I have a house full of kits both new and vintage and frequently end up setting up the Meridians to play. I ended up swapping out the cheap stamped bass drum claws for a nice set of die cast claws to spruce up the look. The Meridians are real sleepers!

Attachments

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'd never actually heard the Meridians before, but being familiar with Mapex quality I suggested them to a buddy. He got a store-demo'd fusion-sized Meridian 5-pc for 400 that impressed us both in sound, function & looks.

Congrats, Bob, that's a sweet bop outfit!

orion

Reaction score
I had that same kit and regret selling it. To me they sounded better and had a better tuning range than my Brooklyn bop kit.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I know that Mapex drums way too often fall into that "don't get no respect" category, but I just couldn't resist these. They are in very lightly used condition, sound great and the price was unbeatable. Free shipping too.
Can't go wrong with Premier XPK lugs!
Nice kit. Maple shells, right?
Congrats on your latest grab. :thumbright:

Elvis

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Premier XPK lugs!
Nice kit. Maple shells, right?
Congrats on your latest grab. :thumbright:

Elvis
I thought there was something familiar about those lugs. I think you're right Elvis.

Not sure if the shells are maple or birch. I think Mapex did both.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought there was something familiar about those lugs. I think you're right Elvis.

Not sure if the shells are maple or birch. I think Mapex did both.
Meridian Manhattan Bop kits were only offered in maple. Thin shells with sharp bearing edges, great sounding drums with a wide tuning range.