Mapex Meridian Kick Mount Problem

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guys I picked up a lightly used Mapex Meridian 6 piece the other day. The price was extremely right so I couldn't say no. This is my first Mapex anything and I'm having a problem. Don't see a lot of Mapex here on DFo but I'm hoping someone knows what my problem is. I searched around for Mapex specific forums on the web but no luck. The kick mount just isn't holding the tom mount tube securely. It easily slips down. I have the black plastic collar thing inside the mount and I with nothing mounted in it can see it closing in when tightening the wingbolt but it's just not holding a pipe. Yeah, there's a memory clamp on the tom mount tube but the mount should be holding without any weight (like toms) on it. Am I missing a metal collar or something from within the kick mount? If anyone has this same Mapex mount could you please check this pic against their mount and let me know if something is amiss? I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Could be your wing bolt is stripped or too short, or the plastic insert is broken. Try a longer Wing bolt.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is the mount on my Merdian kit. Looks identical to your picture. I use the memory lock on the post and never had a problem. Perhaps you have the incorrect Tom post.
AE1413C4-8E79-4EF6-86D1-CB3BFD8D9351.jpeg
FFFD172C-36B7-4EE9-B371-900DA6AD8F83.jpeg

Drm1979

Reaction score
I play with a guitarist who owns a mapex Mars kit that I use and he does not use the tom mounts at all. All of his toms are stand mounted. I'm not sure if his had the same problem but we are playing on Sunday and I'll ask him and let you know. Maybe this is a mapex problem but I'm not sure.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
You can get a piece of rubber gasket material(orange in color) at Lowe’s/Home Depot etc.(have it here anyway) Cut a piece to fit inside mount and install Tom arm. Just make sure it doesn’t drop through into drum! I have done this on a stand up kit I use from time to time and it’s rock solid. Acts as a shim so to speak. I have tried aluminum but does not hold as well.

Of course if something is missing on your mount best to correct it, but this would get you to be able to use it. Just a thought for you.

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the wing screw does not directly contact the plastic bushing. The wingscrew presses against a thin piece of curved metal that then presses against the plastic bushing. I'll bet that the curved metal piece has either fallen out or shifted so that the wingscrew is pressing directly against the side of the plastic bushing.

To repair it, simply back out the wingscrew as far as it will go and pry the plastic bushing insert out of the receiver and check that the metal plate is still in place. I'll bet that you find your problem easily.

GeeDeeEmm

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Splat, so sorry to hear about this problem. I had the exact same kit for nearly a decade and never had a problem like that. I think GeeDeeEmm has the right answer. I'd check that bolt too. If it's not the original Mapex bolt it may be too short. Doubtful, but a possibility. Mapex makes excellent hardware, so I'd be surprised if it's simply faulty.

Also, the Official Drummer Forum is back online. That was started mainly as a Mapex forum though all are welcome. Some of the guys there may have added insight if GeeDee's fix doesn't work.

Best of luck. Please let us know how it turns out.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
GeeDeeEmm for the win! :) The double tom mount has an open receiver mount in the middle. I took the dust cap and plastic sleeve off and sho'nuff there's a metal piece in there. It's missing, like GeeDeeEmm said, from the kick mount. The missing piece appears to be aboout 1.5" OD pipe with about a 0.065" (65 thousandths) wall thickness. It looks like a 1/4 moon. Gotta find one or make it somehow. Oh, old rack tubing is 1.5" OD. Gonna try that.

SpinaDude, you got a link for that forum? I searched but guess I'm getting the old forum cuz OfficialDrummerForum.com not found.

Thanks guys! :occasion5::salute:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
...sheeet. It just came back online about 2 months ago. Traffic has been really slow there so far, and I hadn't been there in about 2 weeks. I just went now and the link is dead. That's really unfortunate. Augie, who ran it, was a really nice guy and the people there were always really friendly. Well usually. LOL There were a few dust-ups over the years that I know of, but these things happen. No blood, no foul. I'll let you know if it opens again.

I'm glad you worked out the kick drum mount issue, Splat!

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
...sheeet. It just came back online about 2 months ago. Traffic has been really slow there so far, and I hadn't been there in about 2 weeks. I just went now and the link is dead. That's really unfortunate. Augie, who ran it, was a really nice guy and the people there were always really friendly. Well usually. LOL There were a few dust-ups over the years that I know of, but these things happen. No blood, no foul. I'll let you know if it opens again.

I'm glad you worked out the kick drum mount issue, Splat!
Shame to see another good drum site go down. Thanks anyway!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those little metal things go missing and are hard to replace. I've fabricated one and they also exist in the tom mounts of some really cheap toms.

MAPEXUSA

Reaction score
You can order the replacement metal piece that goes between the plastic piece that grips the down tube of the tom holder and the bass drum bracket wing screw from any authorized Mapex retailer http://mapexdrums.com/us/locator/ The part # is 1212-072 and we have them in stock here at Mapex. If this does not work, we also have the bass drum bracket in stock as part # 6650B and the wing screw in stock as part # AZ0800170X. All of these parts can be ordered from any authorized Mapex retailer. I hope you are able to get your Mapex kit set up and playing ASAP!

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I made my own metal shim piece from 1.5" rack tubing. I've saved those part #'s though because, like Rich K wrote, they're easy to misplace. Love the drums, btw!

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can order the replacement metal piece that goes between the plastic piece that grips the down tube of the tom holder and the bass drum bracket wing screw from any authorized Mapex retailer http://mapexdrums.com/us/locator/ The part # is 1212-072 and we have them in stock here at Mapex. If this does not work, we also have the bass drum bracket in stock as part # 6650B and the wing screw in stock as part # AZ0800170X. All of these parts can be ordered from any authorized Mapex retailer. I hope you are able to get your Mapex kit set up and playing ASAP!
Do you have a parts webpage? I bought my kit secondhand, and the kid I bought it from has no idea what he was doing. I'm had to replace multiple stripped lugs, and now even a part on the kick pedal is stripped due to him over tightening it incorrectly. It's super frustrating not being able to find parts easily.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt, when I found out that metal shim piece was missing I wondered about this and searched my head off but didn't find a parts site for Mapex. I called local dealer and was told the portal is only for dealers. I hope MapexUSA comes back and lets us know.