Mapex or Sonor .....

petereather

Reaction score
Looking for bar set under 500 bucks Sonor Force / Mapex M series , found on craigs list which one sound / quality / any help on this

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are both owned by and made by KHS (parent company).
Listen to some YouTube demos and base it on sound.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are both owned by and made by KHS (parent company).
Listen to some YouTube demos and base it on sound.
This is very true, but i want to say 500 is not going to get you a full kit of good quality gear. If you could stretch it out to 750-1000, a lot of possibilities await you...GL

petereather

Reaction score
This is very true, but i want to say 500 is not going to get you a full kit of good quality gear. If you could stretch it out to 750-1000, a lot of possibilities await you...GL
I found the Mapex 400 bucks the Sonor 550 both with snare cymbal stands hihat Good shape .

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the Force series were made in Germany I think ….

petereather

Reaction score
I play sonor tear drop rose wood need a set to bang around in the pubs keep the sonor tear drop for Partys Weddings

Last edited by a moderator:

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you get MAPEX, look for PRO M (a step up from regular M series). I had a set a few years back, toms were really excellent. Great fit and finish.

OTOH, I bought an older set of cheaper FORCE drums just last year... WORST quality control I have seen in a drum set in years. Edges were basically unsanded.

I know there is lots of love for Sonor here, but the older Asian stuff can be pretty junky, so buy wisely.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not the M, but a gorgeous kit. I'd go for Mapex at that price point.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whichever one is in better shape and you can get the owner to budge a little more on will get you up and running fine. If your budget is tight, I’d take into account which one has better hardware and heads on it and any included cymbals. Both kits, if in good shape, should be perfectly serviceable instruments

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whichever one is in better shape and you can get the owner to budge a little more on will get you up and running fine. If your budget is tight, I’d take into account which one has better hardware and heads on it and any included cymbals. Both kits, if in good shape, should be perfectly serviceable instruments
This is good advice. I’d run with it.

(I have had both Asian made Sonor and German made Sonor Force kits. Gigged and even recorded both, no problem. I doubt that at $500 that is a German made Force kit, unless someone does not know what they are selling. Post pics here if you want to be sure.)

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This won't help, but I've had both, and both are very well made for the money and would work fine for gigging.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not the M, but a gorgeous kit. I'd go for Mapex at that price point.

This all day long.

petereather

Reaction score
This is good advice. I’d run with it.

(I have had both Asian made Sonor and German made Sonor Force kits. Gigged and even recorded both, no problem. I doubt that at $500 that is a German made Force kit, unless someone does not know what they are selling. Post pics here if you want to be sure.)

Attachments

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
any body know
That is definitely an Asian-made kit.
With a good heads, it will sound just fine. I used one for years and got compliments from other drummers and front of the house people.

Not sure what iteration those are, but my only criticism of the kit I had was the snare butt plate and strainer, which I didn’t care for and eventually swapped out. If you do buy that kit, check to see if the butt plate is put in with the wood screws, and swap them out with something that goes fully through the shell, because I actually had the butt plate come out. Gigged steadily for four or five years with no other issue. Paid about $800 new with full hardware, FYI.

Many fond memories of playing that kit.

petereather

Reaction score
That is definitely an Asian-made kit.
With a good heads, it will sound just fine. I used one for years and got compliments from other drummers and front of the house people.

Not sure what iteration those are, but my only criticism of the kit I had was the snare butt plate and strainer, which I didn’t care for and eventually swapped out. If you do buy that kit, check to see if the butt plate is put in with the wood screws, and swap them out with something that goes fully through the shell, because I actually had the butt plate come out. Gigged steadily for four or five years with no other issue. Paid about $800 new with full hardware, FYI.

Many fond memories of playing that kit.
Do you think the kit is worth 500 ? I am buying for the shell pack I have all the hard ware I need and cymbals

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like a five piece kit with a snare, correct? Can’t really tell the condition in that picture, but I wouldn’t pay $500 for just the shell pack.

For one, I don’t like hanging floor toms. I’d offer less than that just for the shells. If the heads are shot, that’s some more money you need to put in, possible replace the snare’s funky butt plate (someone should use that for a band or song name, Funky Butt Plate), maybe a new snare strainer, plus age, wear on the finish, etc.

I’m listing these as things I’d use as talking points to argue for a deal less than $500 to whatever you are comfortable with. These aren’t rare and you can walk away and not feel like you’ve lost out.

If the seller posted bad photos and describes the kit as having a “base peddle” and “snair drum” with “symbols” I always offer $50 less than I’d offer anyone else on principle because the seller is disrespecting my tribe.