Mapex Orion..vintage yet?

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These drums seem to be priced a lot higher than the Saturn line, so I was wondering if you have an answer for that? Both high end well built pro drums. Were the Orion series the top line before Saturn showed up...I believe they were also 100% maple??

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
These drums seem to be priced a lot higher than the Saturn line, so I was wondering if you have an answer for that? Both high end well built pro drums. Were the Orion series the top line before Saturn showed up...I believe they were also 100% maple??
They were also the top of the line even after the Saturns showed up. The Saturn line basically killed the Orion. The Orion was twice as much, but many opted for the unique Saturn hybrid, with a great sound, at half the price.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes to all of the above -but I'll never refer to modern drums as "vintage"
Interesting topic actually.
What would be generally considered Vintage? Modern?

Im thinking anything before 1970 is vintage?
I.e. when did Modern Era start?
I think it has to do with hardware inovations and maybe when Yamaha Drums started?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score

I think it has to do with hardware inovations and maybe when Yamaha Drums started?
I'm over 60 so, to me vintage means pre-1970

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When Mapex first hit our market, Orion was their top line, all maple, and Saturn Pro was next in line, concurrently. I bought a new Saturn Pro back then and regretted it from day one. They sounded awful. Once Mapex updated to the next Saturn series, they sounded great and have only gotten better.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

In 1987, a kit from 1967 was considered vintage. Why? Because collectors said so, that's why. That was only 20 years. A kit from 1985 is now over 30 years old. Many of the same guys say "No".

Vintage in regards to collectibles is an entirely made up thing based solely on someone's opinion.

Vintage schmintage , is it desirable? That's really all that matters.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In 1987, a kit from 1967 was considered vintage. Why? Because collectors said so, that's why. That was only 20 years. A kit from 1985 is now over 30 years old. Many of the same guys say "No".

Vintage in regards to collectibles is an entirely made up thing based solely on someone's opinion.

Vintage schmintage , is it desirable? That's really all that matters.
Correct-

"Vintage" lies in the mind of the buyer or collector. You can *try* and convince me you have a "vintage kit"... But if that kit is an MIJ or China made kit from the late 80s or 90s? Not vintage to *me* lol.

More likely "years-smears"...lol.

But desirability is surely King... :thumbright:

Last edited: