header.nohb.html

Mapex

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said MA, but I'm still not sure what was so off putting about Houndog's statement. I have heard dozens of comment about people not liking Mapexs' lugs just on DFO alone. In fact, it's all the brands! How often do we hear DW take a beating over their lugs and someone shared their opinion this week that they did not like Ludwig's Imperial lugs. While many, MANY people express the fact they do not like tube lugs in general. So the lug issues is an ongoing discussion based on nothing but personal aesthetic opinion, there is no right or wrong, it's just a cosmetic choice.

I like both guys very much and enjoy what they bring to the table, both are great members but I'm just confused. All he said was he did not care for most of Mapex lugs but did like this series.

Heck, gonna go one step further.... I dont find this Mapex lug overly attractive...

1669253631008.png

But love this one to the moon and back... it's just my opinion based on what I like.

1669253730171.png

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mapex is not my favorite drum maker by any means but Craig Blundell's kits look amazing! It seems Mapex is making an attempt with the vast amount of snares you can choose. I associate Mapex with that movie Airheads because those were the only sets they would use.
I thought I was the only one that immediately thinks of the Lone Rangers when I see Mapex

Mapex Always

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well said MA, but I'm still not sure what was so off putting about Houndog's statement. I have heard dozens of comment about people not liking Mapexs' lugs just on DFO alone. In fact, it's all the brands! How often do we hear DW take a beating over their lugs and someone shared their opinion this week that they did not like Ludwig's Imperial lugs. While many, MANY people express the fact they do not like tube lugs in general. So the lug issues is an ongoing discussion based on nothing but personal aesthetic opinion, there is no right or wrong, it's just a cosmetic choice.

I like both guys very much and enjoy what they bring to the table, both are great members but I'm just confused. All he said was he did not care for most of Mapex lugs but did like this series.

Heck, gonna go one step further.... I dont find this Mapex lug overly attractive...

View attachment 594183

But love this one to the moon and back... it's just my opinion based on what I like.

View attachment 594184

The key brother Fat (that’s meant nice :)) , is the name of the thread , the invite , and then my last sentence “you say a statement you know has bothered him in the past” ,, heck I’ve only been here a year , and I’ve seen it a handful of times between them both. And it’s probably the word “cheap” , such a silly statement - that means way more than just looks.

Hey I actually have a small relationship with brother Hound , I barely know my man Bandit ,, but what I do know , is he is in the right.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key brother Fat (that’s meant nice :)) , is the name of the thread , the invite , and then my last sentence “you say a statement you know has bothered him in the past” ,, heck I’ve only been here a year , and I’ve seen it a handful of times between them both. And it’s probably the word “cheap” , such a silly statement - that means way more than just looks.

Hey I actually have a small relationship with brother Hound , I barely know my man Bandit ,, but what I do know , is he is in the right.
Bandit said to me that he was likely too sensitive about this matter before and matter of fact has poked fun at my drums

I assumed we were cool …..

I was shocked that todays thread got him upset ….

So no , he’s not in the right ….Thank you .

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What Jimmy M said... Strange Thread fer sher

And can anyone tell us why MAPEX FOREVER does that odd thing in his posts with the DOUBLE COMMAS all ,, over ,, the ,, place?

BOTOH... I am a Mapex owner and the picture below shows the BEST... repeat... BEST looking Mapex lug. If you do not agree you are wrong!

IMG_20221123_212109.jpg

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
The other Mapex kits have cheap looking lugs and big ugly badges .

These kits look quality ..
I’ve played Mapex Meridian and Mapex Saturn drums. Both sounded excellent. Big and musical. The Meridian had a 14x18” bass drum that was just amazing. But, the hardware on both was not aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had my Mapex 30th anniversary walnut snare for sale for a few weeks, mostly only to help pay for another purchase I made. It's a near carbon copy of the old coveted Deep Forest series walnut black panthers. I'm glad it didn't sell, as I'm likely keeping it now.

Those snares were always special to me, and I'm glad to own one of these. Mapex has always been a great snare company in my opinion. I wish they had kept the Deep Forest series alive instead of their new horrible marketing names, but they still make wonderful snares, especially the Black Panther range.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have personally never owned a Mapex drum but have often expressed my opnion that like the Pearl Sensitone is the workhours of the snare world, the Satrun Mapex line is the best kept secret in the past 30 years. I've played them in a lot in back line situations and on friends gear and have never been anything less than impressed with the Maple/ walnut recipe.