header.nohb.html

Mapex

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DCP has a really nice Saturn w/ lacquer gloss finish 4 pc on sale in their black Friday page. Free shipping too!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
People nowadays need to normal up.
If you're offended,nothing happens,just move on.
If you offend someone with your opinion,it's not your problem,just move on.
I've had a Pro M kit,it was killer in looks and sound,I did not like the lugs but so what?! The sound stood out over anything.
Bandits kits look and probably sound excellent I dig em.
Houndogs choice of words weren't meant to offend anyone in my opinion.
Now,if he said them venomously in vocal infliction,in the person's face,that's different,in my eyes.
Hounding and Bandit are drumbros regardless of their past tet-a-tets.
Just let it be,folks

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DCP has a really nice Saturn w/ lacquer gloss finish 4 pc on sale in their black Friday page. Free shipping too!

Man, that is a cool set at a good price... I have been a big fan of Mapex for years (still have a snare, see above) and I have always wanted a SATURN set. I had a Pro M set and also a Meridian Maple set in the past, but never liked the 8 lug kicks.

My only problem is... I know how fickle I am with drums. I have owned SOOO many kits over the years. Chances are I would buy these and then decide in a year that the blue frosty finish just ain't my cup of joe. I wish they would stick to more trad plain wood looks and maybe a tobacco fade. Blue drums? Fuggedda boudit! (although I did love Ludwig's blue sparkle when I was a kid... but that was 50 years ago!!)

If I am not absolutely sure that I could recoup most of my $$ spent, I would not buy.

Mapex can be TOUGH to resell and get any kinda decent $$ out of.

I really think the actual MAPEX name (sounds like a laxative) plus their goofy sub-names (mydentity etc) plus their over-the top finishes hurts their resale value/perception in the drumming community.

A local store (very nice Fender dealer here in Prescott, Gray Dog Music) took on Mapex as their major new line of drums. I was in the other day talking to the manager and asked how MAPEX was doing. He grimaced and shook his head and muttered... "Nobody even looks at 'em".

Sad but true.

ar628sfuvl_1_hr__23211.jpg

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well said MA, but I'm still not sure what was so off putting about Houndog's statement. I have heard dozens of comment about people not liking Mapexs' lugs just on DFO alone. In fact, it's all the brands! How often do we hear DW take a beating over their lugs and someone shared their opinion this week that they did not like Ludwig's Imperial lugs. While many, MANY people express the fact they do not like tube lugs in general. So the lug issues is an ongoing discussion based on nothing but personal aesthetic opinion, there is no right or wrong, it's just a cosmetic choice.

I like both guys very much and enjoy what they bring to the table, both are great members but I'm just confused. All he said was he did not care for most of Mapex lugs but did like this series.

Heck, gonna go one step further.... I dont find this Mapex lug overly attractive...

View attachment 594183

But love this one to the moon and back... it's just my opinion based on what I like.

View attachment 594184
What? Who said they don’t like Ludwig Imperial lugs? :angry4: Wait, don’t tell me. Probably better that I don’t know.:argue:

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
Just looks like a copy of older tama starclassic lugs from the 2000s
What Jimmy M said... Strange Thread fer sher

And can anyone tell us why MAPEX FOREVER does that odd thing in his posts with the DOUBLE COMMAS all ,, over ,, the ,, place?

BOTOH... I am a Mapex owner and the picture below shows the BEST... repeat... BEST looking Mapex lug. If you do not agree you are wrong!

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, that is a cool set at a good price... I have been a big fan of Mapex for years (still have a snare, see above) and I have always wanted a SATURN set. I had a Pro M set and also a Meridian Maple set in the past, but never liked the 8 lug kicks.

My only problem is... I know how fickle I am with drums. I have owned SOOO many kits over the years. Chances are I would buy these and then decide in a year that the blue frosty finish just ain't my cup of joe. I wish they would stick to more trad plain wood looks and maybe a tobacco fade. Blue drums? Fuggedda boudit! (although I did love Ludwig's blue sparkle when I was a kid... but that was 50 years ago!!)

If I am not absolutely sure that I could recoup most of my $$ spent, I would not buy.

Mapex can be TOUGH to resell and get any kinda decent $$ out of.

I really think the actual MAPEX name (sounds like a laxative) plus their goofy sub-names (mydentity etc) plus their over-the top finishes hurts their resale value/perception in the drumming community.

A local store (very nice Fender dealer here in Prescott, Gray Dog Music) took on Mapex as their major new line of drums. I was in the other day talking to the manager and asked how MAPEX was doing. He grimaced and shook his head and muttered... "Nobody even looks at 'em".

Sad but true.

View attachment 594281
Sounds like a lot of handwringing to me. Pro kit for $1319? Where else you going to find that? If you can't get 70% of that price on resale (you shouldn't expect more than that on ANY used kit) you need to up your sell game. Renown 4 pc kits are going for $2K as are Tama W/B's. All silly preconceived notions aside about badges and what some peeps THINK about the lugs and hardware, that is a VERY GOOD deal. If it ain't for you that's one thing. Any young drummer (or older) looking to move into pro category drums and limited budget should be interested.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMO, Mapex are the Hyundai of the drum world. Both make FANTASTIC products but have a name that simply doesn't resonate with many people, in N. America anyways.

...but, for those that know! ;)

No way dude! Hyundai/Kia have had a TERRIBLE history of blown engines! SEE ARTICLES BELOW!

They have even dome some lifetime warranties just to get people to buy their cars.

No way would I buy one of those POS heaps when I could spend a little more and get Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc.

Life is too short to drive crappy cars!

OTOH, MPEX makes great products... just a lousy name and lousy marketing.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had the space I’d buy a Mapex Saturn kit in a second, in that glorious blue deep water burl. But I don’t have the space.

BTW are there any sonic differences between the III, IV, and V series?

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had the space I’d buy a Mapex Saturn kit in a second, in that glorious blue deep water burl. But I don’t have the space.

BTW are there any sonic differences between the III, IV, and V series?
I think the V series was when they started touting the "soniclear bearing edge". I had a IV and a V and I didn't notice any difference.

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
No way dude! Hyundai/Kia have had a TERRIBLE history of blown engines! SEE ARTICLES BELOW!

They have even dome some lifetime warranties just to get people to buy their cars.

No way would I buy one of those POS heaps when I could spend a little more and get Toyota, Honda, Mazda etc.

Life is too short to drive crappy cars!

OTOH, MPEX makes great products... just a lousy name and lousy marketing.

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with Hyundai. Kia are pieces of junk

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyundai strike me as a more pedestrian buildout compared to some of the other makers. Lots of plastic and not a great deal of attention paid to ergonomics.
I couldn’t get comfortable in them, so she drove them.
I‘ve owned a couple. I believe the wife and I gave away both of them.
My mom is still driving the last one the wife owned.
She seems to like it, though.
That‘s my only experiences with the maker.

Now … Mapex?
Fantastic drums!
I‘ve owned a Saturn III kit and still kick myself for selling it.
I currently own an Orion kit from the same years as my Saturn … I love those badges.
I still can’t get my head around the Zoidberg badge.
Why oh why would they ditch such a cool badge for that?!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still remember a Mapex endorser posting a vid on a drum forum mid 2000s that just flat blew me away , I distinctly remember commenting on how great they sounded .
I’d buy whatever series Craig Blundell plays over most other brands if I were to buy a new kit …..

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mapex was rolling when Joe Hibbs was alive and running the marketing show. Sold the hell out of Mapex kits when o was a dealer! But after Joe’s passing, things have changed IMO and have kind of lost their way. KHS is a big company so I’m sure all will be fine. But I don’t think KHS have helped Sonor much at all; could all be tied into anemic marketing. And yes, they are fabulous drums!!!

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I think costing less and sounding incredible is a mapex thing at this point. Albeit lots of budget kits can say the same, but it seems that's always been a mapex thing through the majority of their lines. Some of their versatus kits look absolutely gorgeous!