Maple Hoops on Ludwig Mahogany Bass Drum

blindkarma

Reaction score

It’s been a long time since I was here, but the pandemic has me revisiting old projects. One is a ‘90s Ludwig Classic mahogany kit with long lugs. The original hoops were toast, so I got a new pair of Keller maple hoops. I want to keep them “vintage” natural color, but am debating with myself how to finish them. I am considering: linseed oil, lacquer or polyurethane. What do you think? Anyone have pics of their own mahogany kit with natural hoops?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd finish them with a light brown stain (wipe on, wipe off) for a light tint of brown. I wouldn't try to match the shell - unlikely it will match. I do like black hoops best though. Maybe a black stain you wipe on and off to give it a dark color but still make the grain still visible like the bass? For finish, I like satin poly - wipe on, wipe off.

blindkarma

Reaction score
I'm keeping the hoops natural like the Legacy Mahogany Classics below. It's a vintage vibe, but will be unique with the long lugs. The kit is mature, so I don't want the hoops to appear completely young and blonde, so dirty blonde would be nice. I think clear satin poly will fit the age, but linseed oil will also yellow the hoops and grow darker with time.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see the inlay in your hoop photo. I like the natural with WMP.....

Not sure if linseed will darken it lightly. I like stains and separate poly. Minwax has some lighter colors:

Minwax.jpg

cruddola

Reaction score

It’s been a long time since I was here, but the pandemic has me revisiting old projects. One is a ‘90s Ludwig Classic mahogany kit with long lugs. The original hoops were toast, so I got a new pair of Keller maple hoops. I want to keep them “vintage” natural color, but am debating with myself how to finish them. I am considering: linseed oil, lacquer or polyurethane. What do you think? Anyone have pics of their own mahogany kit with natural hoops?
Your best bet is to seek the advice of a competent luthier that restores instruments. He/She just might be able to closely match for the complementing coloring of the drum. This is what I did on a matching job. Mahogany and Maple are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to woodgrain character. I ordered two six-ply Kellers and added a closely matching Philippine mahogany veneer to each side from Woodcraft making it an 8-ply. Honduran mahogany has got decades outlawed for import. Philly is the next best wood. The luthier stained them perfectly! Gold leaf paint was added to the hoop's edge and sealed. I Spent 270 dollars and six of my hours on the whole operation including the locally sourced 62-dollar Slingerland virgin lugged bass shell and made a 625 dollar profit on a no-reserve bid on eBay in a week. The purchaser had me make the same, but with 8-ply Keller maple hoops with mahogany inlays and the gold edge paint for a 20-inch drum. He didn't like seeing the ply's edge either. I spent four hours on them gave them to him for free. He paid the 22 dollars shipping. Really nice guy. No one has those unique hoops. They were a bitch, ain't making any more.

Last edited:

blindkarma

Reaction score
Your best bet is to seek the advice of a competent luthier that restores instruments. He/She just might be able to closely match for the complementing coloring of the drum. This is what I did on a matching job. Mahogany and Maple are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to woodgrain character. I ordered two six-ply Kellers and added a closely matching Philippine mahogany veneer to each side from Woodcraft making it an 8-ply. Honduran mahogany has got decades outlawed for import. Philly is the next best wood. The luthier stained them perfectly! Gold leaf paint was added to the hoop's edge and sealed. I Spent 270 dollars and six of my hours on the whole operation including the locally sourced 62-dollar Slingerland virgin lugged bass shell and made a 625 dollar profit on a no-reserve bid on eBay in a week. The purchaser had me make the same, but with 8-ply Keller maple hoops with mahogany inlays and the gold edge paint for a 20-inch drum. He didn't like seeing the ply's edge either. I spent four hours on them gave them to him for free. He paid the 22 dollars shipping. Really nice guy. No one has those unique hoops. They were a bitch, ain't making any more.
That sounds special. Any pics?

blindkarma

Reaction score
If you’re thinking poly, and you want yellowing, make sure you use oil based poly. The water based finish keeps its color better.
Good point. I’m leaning toward clear Varathane oil-based polyurethane for the durability. The shells were refinished in lacquer, but I had reservations about using poly for the hoops because it may offend Ludwig enthusiasts or collectors.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The OP's shells are maple with a mahogany stain so there should be no issues if a luthier can match the finish.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless you can match the finish exactly, I would go with natural finish. Anything stained that doesn't match will stick out like a sore thumb. Natural makes a nice contrast and is a standard combination so it will look good.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use amber shellac (pre-mixed, from H. Depot) to "yellow" the hoops. I am doing a Charlie Watts tribute kit with natural maple shells and using that product to give it the right aged looks. It's a real pain to use - dries very fast and leaves drips - but once the dyeing is done, I can finish it right with a satin poly by hand and it will be very close to his kit.......just another project in limbo, though.

Latest posts