Marching Corp, College band snare/bass drums

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha, Pearl, and a few others make marching band drums for hundreds of colleges and schools. Are these drums given the same care or maybe much more than our drum kits?
I know the marching snare drums cost a ton of money and they seem to be made with precision and detail the kit drums dont appear to have

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that there's any difference in care / precision between the pro line marching drums and the pro line drumset drums.

I've marched / taught on Pearl, Yamaha, Ludwig, Mapex, Tama, Premier, and Dynasty drums, and I'd say that's consistent across all of them.

XPKplayer67

Reaction score
My son has a beautiful Royal Scott chrome over brass marching snare he no longer uses. I'd use it on my XPK kit, but its just to large.
20200321_172758.jpg

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest difference is the marching drums are designed for much higher tensioned heads. Thicker shells and rims along with reinforced bearing edges and usually a few more tension casings are the biggest differences compared to drum set construction. Most are wrapped but I've seen a few custom lacquered marching drums. The lacquer and the application is just as good as you will find on pro level drums.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
School marching drums experience some serious abuse. Lots of the big programs replace the whole drumline every several years (or less!), so they're just sacrificing money on a pyre to the contest gods. The keyboard percussion section burns even larger piles of money believe it or not.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
School marching drums experience some serious abuse. Lots of the big programs replace the whole drumline every several years (or less!), so they're just sacrificing money on a pyre to the contest gods. The keyboard percussion section burns even larger piles of money believe it or not.
Keyboard percussion just doesn't move around well...

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Keyboard percussion just doesn't move around well...
Well, on top of that some groups are taking rosewood outside, clamping literally scores of condenser mics onto the outside instruments, and those kids never check to make sure their cymbals have sleeves.