MARDI GRAS PEARL WRAP !!!!

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, inspired by my desire for a cool, period correct finish for my new 62' Slingerland bop kit, I have negotiated a deal with the wonderful folks over at Precision Drum to do a short run of "Mardis Gras Pearl". Despite the fact that Delmar was pushing for 60 sheets, Precision convinced them to run as few as 20. However, the 20 will need to be presold before Precision will place the order, so as not to get stuck with them. While the modern materials are a LITTLE different, it's VERY close to the original Slingerland/Gretsch/Rogers wrap. I've seen the short run they did for Steve Maxwell, and the wrap is beautiful. Andrea at Precision told me the cost will be $160 per sheet , (same as their Capri pearl), and once we have 20 (or more) sheets sold, they'll place the order. For reference, a 12/14/18 bop kit can be done with 2 sheets (24x54), and a 22" or 24" bass drum will require a sheet and a half. Additional sizing info can be found on Precision's web site. So, whatcha think ? Anybody in ? Screenshot_2016-01-12-22-43-10.png

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
To me it looks similar to the later, sparser version of Rogers Mardi Gras.

I like the Capri that Precision did too.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
if i was only born rich instead of handsome...

I wonder how a roll would do as an investment.

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As an investment, you'd be hard pressed to get your $ back, and it might take a while. Even at cost, you're probably still looking at 100 per sheet, probabably AT LEAST 60 sheets required, and that's IF they would do a run for you or I....

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it gonna be the exact same as Steve Maxwells's wrap ? I like what they made for him and just wanted to clarify .

famousdave

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, exacrly the same as Maxwell's. However, it's still a hand done process, so there's a little variation sheet to sheet.

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
famousdave said:
Yes, exacrly the same as Maxwell's. However, it's still a hand done process, so there's a little variation sheet to sheet.
That is good news as I said I really dig the Maxwell stuff . I am SERIOUSLY considering getting a couple of sheets .

Attachments

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
To do a cannister throne that is 12x22" you need a piece that is 39x22", allowing for a seam of 1 1/4" .

If the throne is 24" tall, then 39x24".

A sheet is 24x54", so 1 sheet would do it. You would have a piece left over approx 15x24".

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Dan I will measure the throne. Would I have enough to do a snare too?

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I might like a piece just big enough to do a snare. FloydZking was trying to make that wrap at one time. I need to send him an email. Ace

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. We will see if this whole thing happens. I have a Powertone that's a s candidate.