Marimba

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was a music ed major in college and played a lot of keyboard/mallet percussion including marimba, vibraphone, etc.during college. However I have to admit It was always my weak point by far. I was much better at snare drum, timpani, drum set, etc.
I did see some great marimba and vibes players in clinics including Gordon Stout, Julie Spencer, and Gary Burton. The thing is you can always learn something musically even if it’s not the primary instrument you play.

Nice playing.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
more about Marimba than you may care to know...Dean Anderson board member...

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
We owe Stevens a ton in the technique department, but as a composer Gordon's my favorite of the diminutive marimba legends (followed by Keiko). A particularly good performance of Astral Dance is on my backcountry stargazing playlist.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, it looks to me that you are using the Musser grip with your left hand. Is that what it is?
Its a variation or evolution of Musser grip called Stevens grip. Thats what is described in the Stevens book.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the sound of your mallets. What make and model are they?
Its a variation or evolution of Musser grip called Stevens grip. Thats what is described in the Stevens book.

For those unaware TKillian- Tom- has been banned (according - from him) for Life From DFO
From Swearing at a Mod. For swearing directly at a Mod.
Ok? He was planning on lesson or you know posting much more- video- style as these above. But that kinda put a dampener on it.

If you want to start a petition drive to have him reinstalled
(I mean he's only a guy we've all known many of us for 20 years)

go ahead
```````
edit: Let me check that. Banned for life for swearing at a Mod ...AND refusing to remove a word from his Title.

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It didn't look to me as though it is the Stevens grip, because the thumb is on the side, not on top. Which is why I asked.
Yes. Technically you are correct but first the musser and stevens are very closely related. More so than the other grips because of the way you hold the mallets. So there is a variable range between the two. I think most modern teachers don’t teach musser. A lot teach stevens and then the variations begin. What grip are you using?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes. Technically you are correct but first the musser and stevens are very closely related. More so than the other grips because of the way you hold the mallets. So there is a variable range between the two. I think most modern teachers don’t teach musser. A lot teach stevens and then the variations begin. What grip are you using?
I understand what what you are saying, which is why I would like to hear from the OP.

I am using the Stevens grip. However, back when I first learned the marimba, 45 years ago, I'm pretty sure I learned the Musser grip, as the Stevens grip had just been created.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I understand what what you are saying, which is why I would like to hear from the OP.

I am using the Stevens grip. However, back when I first learned the marimba, 45 years ago, I'm pretty sure I learned the Musser grip, as the Stevens grip had just been created.
Tom is currently not on the forum so he won’t see your message.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very Nice. I really enjoyed it.

I've taught Marching Band front ensemble for the last 25 and all three of my sons play marimba and vibes.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I had a year of vibe and marimba lesson with Ed Saindon in Boston and one of those lessons was with Gary Burton. What's the question?

check this over:

more there^
what a nice gentleman teacher he was/is
Wonderful!! Here's a friend of mine from back home.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Terrific!! Like you, I play three mallets. Never felt in control of four. I like to have my right hand free to play the melody. I'd love to get my hands on a Deagan Diana or a Premier 600. Four octaves are all I need. Don't hear of many jazz marimba players. I miss playing the instrument. Keep up the good work!!