MARK DON & MEL

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Radio King said:
From a 2015 interview:

MRM: You went to law school?

Brewer: I did. For a short amount of time. I consider myself a law school dropout. (Laughs) I was studying business law, and I went to Nova University which was at that time located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

http://www.musicrecallmagazine.com/interviews/interview-with-don-brewer-of-grand-funk-railroad/
I stand corrected, sir. A Mid-Michigan rock myth revised, right from the horse's mouth.

Now it would be good to find out about Farner's tax rebel status.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
studrum said:
From a 2015 interview:

Brewer: I did. For a short amount of time. I consider myself a law school dropout. (Laughs) I was studying business law, and I went to Nova University which was at that time located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

http://www.musicrecallmagazine.com/interviews/interview-with-don-brewer-of-grand-funk-railroad/
I stand corrected, sir. A Mid-Michigan rock myth revised, right from the horse's mouth.

Agreed! And your description of the band was spot on. "...the wild, shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner, the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher, the competent drumming of Don Brewer." Sums them (and the era) up perfectly. :wink:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Radio King said:
From a 2015 interview:

Agreed! And your description of the band was spot on. "...the wild, shirtless lyrics of Mark Farner, the bong-rattling bass of Mel Schacher, the competent drumming of Don Brewer." Sums them (and the era) up perfectly. :wink:Well, I cannot tell a lie... That's straight from the mind and mouth of genius critic Homer Simpson, but yes, it's perfectly apt. It totally fits with the gritty Flint scene they came up in. I was there... it's all true.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
This clip is from 2011.
I wonder if anything's changed since then?
Regardless, I've lost any respect I had for Don Brewer & Mel Schrader.

Anyone know the current status of this situation?
A very good example of why it is called the Music BUSINESS.
...so why do this? I'm thinkin' merchandising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember seeing The James Gang without Joe Walsh, Humble Pie without Peter Frampton,just not the same.GFR without Mark,forget it.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Humble Pie without Frampton was still awesome! Marriott was the lead of that band. Definitely true about James Gang, though, Walsh was the leader and guitarist similarly to Grand Funk.

cpj83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's just like the CCR situation. Egos and nothing but egos destroying musical magic and the fans suffering. It's a shame, but in this litigious society we live in, nothing surprises me any more.

Chris

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
As much as I like the Joe Walsh era of the James Gang, I much prefer (and would have loved to have seen live) the Tommy Bolin era of the band.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Funny....30+ years ago, it was Mark Farner who was "criminalized" as the reason for the disbanding of GFR.
After reading through this thread, I gotta wonder if its not a combination of everyone involved.

Elvis

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Monty said:
As much as I like the Joe Walsh era of the James Gang, I much prefer (and would have loved to have seen live) the Tommy Bolin era of the band.
me too. there are some youtube videos of Bolin and the gang

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
supershifter2 said:
me too. there are some youtube videos of Bolin and the gang
And they are great. I've had many of these on vidoetape since the 80's (telling on my age lol!).

harry

Reaction score
I have seen Grand Funk Railroad several times in Germany back in the 70's and Mark In a few different bands here. In my opinion, GFR is as good as any rock band I've ever seen!
One thing I don't understand...why are they not in the Rock Hall of Fame???
Anyone know?

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Huge Tommy Bolin fan here. I'm gonna look up those James Gang vids! Actually though I beg to differ, Tommy was/is a genius, but similarly to his replacing Blackmore in Deep Purple, he was following up on genius in both cases. Nevertheless what an amazing talent (and sad story of rockstar drug addiction).

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
harry said:
I have seen Grand Funk Railroad several times in Germany back in the 70's and Mark In a few different bands here. In my opinion, GFR is as good as any rock band I've ever seen!
One thing I don't understand...why are they not in the Rock Hall of Fame???
Anyone know?
Because Jann Wenner can't stand them.

Reactions: JDA

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pounder said:
Huge Tommy Bolin fan here. I'm gonna look up those James Gang vids! Actually though I beg to differ, Tommy was/is a genius, but similarly to his replacing Blackmore in Deep Purple, he was following up on genius in both cases. Nevertheless what an amazing talent (and sad story of rockstar drug addiction).
Lest we forget he played with BILLY frickin' COBHAM!!!

Latest posts