Mark Guiliana

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I accidentally found this guy on the you tubes. He's kind of like Chris Dave, but Mark has better time and doesn't lose the beat, I don't see him trying to recover from constant mistakes, and he sounds like he's actually playing to the other musicians.

Last edited by a moderator:

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark is very unique! Comparing him to anyone at a high level is like comparing peaches and apples....
Check him explaining his approach

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen guiliana play, and watched a few clips. he is the real deal.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice find Rik, thanks for sharing.

amazish said:
Mark is very unique! Comparing him to anyone at a high level is like comparing peaches and apples....
Check him explaining his approach...
The "Part 2" vid of the clinic really puts his concept in action....

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rik_Everglade said:
I accidentally found this guy on the you tubes. He's kind of like Chris Dave, but Mark has better time and doesn't lose the beat, I don't see him trying to recover from constant mistakes, and he sounds like he's actually playing to the other musicians.

Mark is great - but I'm curious. Where have you heard Chris lose the beat, display bad time, or sound like he's not playing with other musicians? I've been observing his work for many years, and have yet to pick up on any of what you've mentioned.

LaneParsons

Reaction score
Mark is great. I had a friend who took a couple of lessons with him, said he's a good guy. Very thoughtful about his playing.

Sonorholic

DFO Star
Reaction score
I met him at Kosa many years ago. We hung out a bit and he was obviously serious about where he was headed. I loved the 'clinic' video as it does provide a lot of insight into what he's about. I remember when Bill Bruford name checked him in an interview years ago. That's a very nice seal of approval to get. He's a great drummer and doing new things for sure.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
amazish said:
Check him explaining his approach
This little instructional thing was very cool in my book. I spent some years in art school (I do graphic design) and this sort of approach reminds me of the kind of class that just about any art student ends up taking, basic design. The word "basic" doesn't really do it justice because there can be some really profound things to learn. A better term for that sort of class might be "design fundamentals," or something like that. Basically, the idea is to break things down to the fundamental aspects and there are often projects where one might explore just one aspect... scale, texture, color, etc. It's all about bringing out creativity through limitations. I've never heard of music being taught with this kind of philosophy, but it really makes sense. If I lived where this guy does and could afford the kind of coin that he probably charges for lessons, I'd think about going to him, probably before anyone else. I don't really even know much about him or his work but it seems like the way that he approaches drumming is really happening...

RebusKyle

Reaction score
Yes!! Recently discovered him via Brad Mehldau.

Check out this clip with him and Brad with their group Mehliana

http://vimeo.com/46040485

His phrasing with what Brad is doing here is so ridiculous.....

fishmouth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He reminds me of Bill Bruford in his approach. What i mean is that his style has roots in a simple but elegant concept that in practice leads to complexity and a unique voice.

As far as Chris Dave, i can see how he is a little less accesible, but nonetheless he is also at the forefront of this style and is doing it in his way.
Both are inspiring to me.

RebusKyle

Reaction score
fishmouth said:
He reminds me of Bill Bruford in his approach. What i mean is that his style has roots in a simple but elegant concept that in practice leads to complexity and a unique voice.

As far as Chris Dave, i can see how he is a little less accesible, but nonetheless he is also at the forefront of this style and is doing it in his way.
Both are inspiring to me.
I think one of the interesting things about both Mark and Chris is their use of different instruments or more specifically multiple snares/hi hats-accent stack cymbals. Certainly wouldn't work for many gigs, but the stuff they are doing is certainly forward thinking and fresh. Especially with the rhythmic concepts they're throwing in the mix.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rik_Everglade said:
Have you seen some of Chris Dave's YouTube videos? I have. It can sound like a loud drummer practicing, being unaware that musicians are trying to perform next door.
I've seen quite a few of them. If you listen perhaps more attentively, you'll hear he's following the form and changes, and doing what he's hired to do. Or, it's his band, and he's calling the shots. He can go out or not, as needed, and does. Check out the DeAngelo tour he MD'd.

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
He has very nice technique and fresh concept. His bass drum is very fast, but I notice he does alot of short burst phrases. He's an original. I dig him alot.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you seen some of Chris Dave's YouTube videos? I have. It can sound like a loud drummer practicing, being unaware that musicians are trying to perform next door.
- I've been aware of Chris's playing since the mid 1990's. He's always impressed me as a very musically aware musician. He didn't get and keep the gigs he's had by being musically unaware. Perhaps you could provide some links which impress you as being musically unaware so we might better be able to understand what you're hearing. Or not.

Last edited: