Mark Guiliana

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really.

Flaming a master drummer (with nonsense), and front runner on many things.

Only then to not really pay attention to what he does, or even check recommended work.

Really mature...
Mature is not the phrase that comes to mind. Willfully ignorant, perhaps.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mature is not the phrase that comes to mind. Willfully ignorant, perhaps.
Just in case I was in error, I decided to go back and reevaluate Chris Dave. I watched a few videos. I sat through the D'Angelo band sessions. I watched his solo. I watched him stomp a flat foot down and do his short outburst thingy during instrumental solos, which I found distracting. I don't think of him as a "master drummer". Don't worry, I am not either. And I suppose I have to say, "Really?"

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just in case I was in error, I decided to go back and reevaluate Chris Dave. I watched a few videos. I sat through the D'Angelo band sessions. I watched his solo. I watched him stomp a flat foot down and do his short outburst thingy during instrumental solos, which I found distracting. I don't think of him as a "master drummer". Don't worry, I am not either. And I suppose I have to say, "Really?"
I love Mark.
I saw Chris Dave with Robert Glasper in 2010. Blew my mind. THE MOST CREATIVE drummer I've ever seen.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
His playing with Avishai Cohen and on Bowie's "Blackstar" is incredible and shows his diversity. My favorite clip:

E.L.

Reaction score
In my opinion some of Mark's best works are the records with Avishai Cohen (the bass player) and Donny Mccaslin.
This one with Donny is mind blowing!

fenrir

Reaction score
The irony of the ridiculous contributions to this thread is that Mark would undoubtedly name Chris as a major major influence.
In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's probably been the biggest influence of the last thirty years for anyone in the groove/hip hop/jazz scene. Everyone who is everyone rates him as a genius. He is. Hence the nickname.

Whether or not you like his music is another thing.

E.L.

Reaction score
The irony of the ridiculous contributions to this thread is that Mark would undoubtedly name Chris as a major major influence.
I can tell you without a doubt that's not true, even if i'm sure that Mark really appreciate Chris.

fenrir

Reaction score
I can tell you without a doubt that's not true, even if i'm sure that Mark really appreciate Chris.
I find that very hard to believe.
Chris is Mark's senior by a decade, also played with Meshell Ndegeocello a good decade or so before Mark and has had such a huge influence it has permeated that style of music to such a degree that people aren't even aware he was the originator of so many things.
Unless this is like the Simon Phillips not crediting Billy Cobham's influence type thing.

E.L.

Reaction score
I find that very hard to believe.
Chris is Mark's senior by a decade, also played with Meshell Ndegeocello a good decade or so before Mark and has had such a huge influence it has permeated that style of music to such a degree that people aren't even aware he was the originator of so many things.
Unless this is like the Simon Phillips not crediting Billy Cobham's influence type thing.
You said that Chris has been the biggest influence of the last thirty years for anyone in the groove/hip hop/jazz scene, maybe it's true for those drummers who played r&b/soul/hip hop (and Mark does not belong to this category) but not to those who played jazz. Don't get me wrong, Chris can play jazz divinely, but i think you don't know Mark Guiliana enough if you say that Chris Dave has been his biggest inspiration.

fenrir

Reaction score
You said that Chris has been the biggest influence of the last thirty years for anyone in the groove/hip hop/jazz scene, maybe it's true for those drummers who played r&b/soul/hip hop (and Mark does not belong to this category) but not to those who played jazz. Don't get me wrong, Chris can play jazz divinely, but i think you don't know Mark Guiliana enough if you say that Chris Dave has been his biggest inspiration.
Yeah I never mentioned jazz, as in traditional jazz - I wouldn't define Mark as a traditional jazz drummer either. But jazz changes with each generation and I think the huge majority of jazz drummers around the age of 30 would mention Chris.

E.L.

Reaction score
Jazz changes with each generation and I think the huge majority of jazz drummers around the age of 30 would mention Chris.
Believe me, you don't know what you are talking about.

fenrir

Reaction score
Believe me, you don't know what you are talking about.
Oh dear.
You have no idea who I am or what I know.
Chris has been at the cutting edge since the 90s. Perhaps his influence today has diffused through a few generations but it's undeniable.

Last edited:

E.L.

Reaction score
Oh dear.
You have no idea who I am or what I know.
I'm talking about my experience, playing, teaching, touring and living and working closely with a major music college for over 35 years.
Chris has been at the cutting edge since the 90s. Perhaps his influence today has diffused through a few generations but it's undeniable.
Who are you, what's your experience and how does it contradict what I'm saying?
It doesn't matter who i am, Mark Guiliana has not been influenced by Chris Dave and it's not like that because i say so, everybody knows Mark's inspirations (everybody who knows Mark very well). Everything you've done in the last 35 years in music has nothing to do with claiming to know who inspired Mark.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and another thread gets locked!!!

well at this rate, soon anyway....

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to Google Rob Schuh. I wasn't talking about drums online back then. Made me feel nostalgic for the old internet.

What a strange thread though. "X" drummer does "Y thing I like" better than anyone, therefore "Z" drummer isn't great.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
- Different folks like different things - that's fine. That said, you may want to expand your listening a bit and ask yourself how this guy has landed so many great gigs, and been a game-changer. You might start here: https://www.dropbox.com/t/fMhPAklBmkJYqMt8