"Mark this forum as read" acting wonky

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
11,218
Reaction score
33
Location
Alberta, Canada
This has been driving me crazy the last few days. I had another issue that was resolved by clearing the cache, so I wonder if this is affecting everyone else, or just me. I also had a new topic in the Cymbal Talk section vanish, only 10 minutes or so after I posted it. It was an eBay auction heads-up for a nice 22" A. Zildjian Ride for $99 BIN. I was able to read the topic and refresh it after I posted it, but it wasn't there when I clicked the Cymbal Talk section. Weird...

Anyway, when I click "Mark this forum as read", the page seems to refresh, but none of the little icons to the left of each topic change, from orange to blue, to indicate they've been read. If I refresh the page a moment later by pressing F5, all the icons change to blue, as expected. However, when I click on the forum section one level up (for example, if I click "Main" at the top when I'm currently in the "Cymbal Talk" section), again, the icons are all orange "unread" icons. Furthermore, going into topics that are appearing as having unread posts, I'll see that no new posts were actually made.

I won't have the chance to test this from a different computer until tonight. This weird stuff has only begun happening since the recent forum tweaking over the weekend. Is anyone else noticing this strange "Mark forum as read" stuff?
 

Eck

I don't do drums
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
762
Reaction score
0
Location
Indianapolis
I use that link 20 times per day and am not having a problem. I live by that link so I know how annoying it could be if it didn't work. Let me know if you can reproduce the issue on a second PC.
 

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
11,218
Reaction score
33
Location
Alberta, Canada
Hi Eck, I'm not having the problem on a different PC, so it wasn't a forum issue after all. I was visiting my parents' place and after a half-dozen attempts to clear the cache and the problem still occurring, I checked I.E.'s Tools > Internet Options and that's where I discovered that someone--probably an uncle that was visiting last weekend--had changed the "Days to keep pages in history" to '0' and set the "Check for newer versions of stored pages" from 'Automatically' to 'Never'.

Putting those options back to normal fixed the problem. Sorry for the daily disturbance. :)
 

Latest posts



Top