market conditions [used gear]

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is apparent that this industry has stalled in some ways, but would you agree that as hard as it is to sell drums, its WAY harder to sell cymbals?..I am shocked at the difficulty that some are having. ...Its almost like you to have to lose big, to make the sale, and if you try trading cymbals in to a drum shop, you may as well donate them....look at the for sale markets..totally saturated.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep. I have trying to sell a snare drum here for months and have had a cymbal up for sale just as long. My only successes in selling anything last year was via drummer buddies.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It is apparent that this industry has stalled in some ways, but would you agree that as hard as it is to sell drums, its WAY harder to sell cymbals?..I am shocked at the difficulty that some are having. ...Its almost like you to have to lose big, to make the sale, and if you try trading cymbals in to a drum shop, you may as well donate them....look at the for sale markets..totally saturated.
It's tough unless you're selling something that's hip right now. With cymbals, that's thin and hand hammered, Meinl Byzance, K Constantinoples and the like. If you're selling A Zildjians, forget about it. Just take your pittance and move on or keep them.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's the End of Music..well the beginnings of the End . maybe.
Musics become a background
not the forefront once was.
Electronic background like:
Wish I had a better musical example; but the sound is just that futuristic highway electronic (sometimes even the vocal sounds electronic )with a disco beat...less less less human involvement

Last edited:

tris66

Reaction score
Yup, I've been trying to move a set of Ludwig Standards for a couple of years now. Not happening. They have classic lugs, so I've been thinking about stripping them, selling the hardware on ebay to break even and burning the shells for firewood. Bet you think I'm joking. Nope.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup, I've been trying to move a set of Ludwig Standards for a couple of years now. Not happening. They have classic lugs, so I've been thinking about stripping them, selling the hardware on ebay to break even and burning the shells for firewood. Bet you think I'm joking. Nope.
If they are wood finish, you could make some nice furniture with them. Many folks here think that is what wood finishes look like anyway. I don't and have only wood finishes ....... :) BTW, I just sold an old cymbal bag today .. whooppee .... first sale of 2020 ...... should pay for the next hamburger .....and maybe even a coke .....

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How long do you think it will take you to sell the hardware? Is it really worth the time to do that instead of just asking a realistic price?

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's the End of Music..well the beginnings of the End . maybe.
Musics become a background
not the forefront once was.
Electronic background like:
Wish I had a better musical example; but the sound is just that futuristic highway electronic (sometimes even the vocal sounds electronic )with a disco beat...less less less human involvement

The same was said in the 80's.

Seriously. Enough of the live music is dead. Search it out.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The same was said in the 80's.

Seriously. Enough of the live music is dead. Search it out.
There's no question its a significantly smaller part of nightlife since the 80s. Fewer venues and fewer patrons are the reason bands make the same (or less) pay they made in the 80s today. There's also no question that fewer kids are learning instruments and forming bands as we know them. Musical instrument sales are a hard to ignore indicator. Like a radioactive half life, it will never completely go away, but it sure seems to be following a steady decay since the 70s.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's no question its a significantly smaller part of nightlife since the 80s. Fewer venues and fewer patrons are the reason bands make the same (or less) pay they made in the 80s today. There's also no question that fewer kids are learning instruments and forming bands as we know them. Musical instrument sales are a hard to ignore indicator. Like a radioactive half life, it will never completely go away, but it sure seems to be following a steady decay since the 70s.
The music programs in our area are thriving. We have friggin' orchestra starting in 4th and 5th grade. Yes. Orchestra, with cellos, violins, etc. The local School of Rock is booked solid in the area, and quite honestly the kid bands are way better than the geezer ones they have play out.

I couldn't sell my Peal Export in the early 90s. To anyone. Even adults, and it was basement kept, and only gigged like three times. It was immaculate. Second hand instrument sales are tough any time.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
In general its a softer market for all gear especially vintage (Christmas is over ha!) I've sold some rare stuff for good money and rather quickly and then some run of the mill garden variety gear for dirt cheap just to pass it along. Slow time of the year for retail, can't really expect to much.........Tax refunds generally resuscitate the all but deceased winter retail market, that is if your Uncle has left you some crumbs.

JimUK

Reaction score
I've seen some rare stuff worth very good money go in less than an hour today. Quicker than I can get a price for shipping over.

I do agree though that market saturation is an issue.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The music programs in our area are thriving. We have friggin' orchestra starting in 4th and 5th grade. Yes. Orchestra, with cellos, violins, etc. The local School of Rock is booked solid in the area, and quite honestly the kid bands are way better than the geezer ones they have play out.

I couldn't sell my Peal Export in the early 90s. To anyone. Even adults, and it was basement kept, and only gigged like three times. It was immaculate. Second hand instrument sales are tough any time.
Aren't the music programs part of the problem (regardless of how good it is for kids being able to play an instrument). Everybody can be a musician, but there is less and less work. And thus the 2nd hand market is flooded too. I see it here in The Netherlands too, unfortunately.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd still say cymbals are easier to sell than drums. Cymbals are closer to cash....and take up less space. Drums take up a lot of space and are harder and more expensive to ship. If one is patient with either you'll get a fair selling price. No shortage of buyers paying $700-$800 for a new A cymbal pack. And that only makes the used sets out there at half the price more attractive.

Used Zildjian cymbals (A's and K's) are generally down 5-15% over the past year. And it is harder to sell the same thing today vs. a year ago. Things do move on Reverb and Ebay. CL and FB can be a lot tougher unless you have something scarce.....trans stamps, large stamps, EAK's, paper thins, etc. New Beat hi hats sell quick enough. 20" A medium rides (60's through 80's) are about the slowest thing in the stable. Nice thin and medium thin crashes in the 16 to 20 range are always in demand. They break, and need to be replaced.

Have to agree that Reverb is still a good place to go to sell. But would also say 80-90% of the listings seem overpriced, and many laughably so. Some of the high auction prices on Ebay still surprise me. All it takes is 2 "real" bidders (not seller's shills).

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find this forum to be a tough place to sell. I think most people want everything for very cheap. I think it's better to sell on Reverb or ebay to strangers. LOL
People on this forum tend to have way more gear than they could ever need (some of the snare collections here are just nuts!), so it's got to be priced low enough to trigger the kind of buyer who really doesn't need what you're selling.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
People on this forum tend to have way more gear than they could ever need (some of the snare collections here are just nuts!), so it's got to be priced low enough to trigger the kind of buyer who really doesn't need what you're selling.
Totally true. LOL

kallen49

Reaction score
Yes Ludwig classic lugs certainly have resale value, Rocker shells...not so much. I bought a 5 pc set of shells for $50 and learned this lesson the hard way...

NewBeat

Reaction score
Does Reverb collect sales tax? I've noticed eBay has slowed noticeably this year, now that more and more states are having eBay collect sales tax on both new and used gear purchases.

It's hard to justify collecting sales tax on person-to-person used sales through an intermediary (eBay in this case), but that's what they're doing. I can see this being okay on high volume sellers of new stuff, but applying blanket sales tax to the one-off sales in the used market is kind of an overreach.

On eBay's part, I don't know what they can do, because of course, sellers would declare even new stuff to be used if they could avoid potential buyers having to pay sales tax. No sales tax collected = lower final cost = more sales.

I think places like Sam Ash or Guitar Center were at a disadvantage in the used market, having to collect sales tax in their locales, so they probably prefer the eBay sales tax policy being leveled against all used buyers in sales tax states.

As it stands, eBay buyers in states with no sales tax are at a distinct advantage in the used market: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, & Oregon, while used sellers to high sales tax states will have a harder time pricing items and making a sale to those locales.

In any event, the market will eventually adjust, and things will go back to where they were, more or less...