market conditions [used gear]

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
I find this forum to be a tough place to sell. I think most people want everything for very cheap. I think it's better to sell on Reverb or ebay to strangers. LOL
I agree for different reasons
Only get a small number of eyes
Compared to ebay or reverb facebook etc.

it is a great time to buy however

price it lowwwww

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last year I acquired a Gretsch round badge Progressive Jazz set for a good price from a local pawn shop. After a hefty investment in parts, it is now my primary drum set, but I have always thought of it as an investment as much as an instrument. A decade ago Steve Maxwell was touting that these sets would go for $5-6000 (mine is burgundy sparkle, a desirable collectors color), but when I see today's asking prices, I wonder if I can even get $4000 for the set. Partly I wonder, 'cause I am contemplating a new Rogers set once they are released, assuming they have hardware I like, and my Gretsch set maybe my source of funds for the Rogers.
9Jun2019silverhoops2.jpg

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last year I acquired a Gretsch round badge Progressive Jazz set for a good price from a local pawn shop. After a hefty investment in parts, it is now my primary drum set, but I have always thought of it as an investment as much as an instrument. A decade ago Steve Maxwell was touting that these sets would go for $5-6000 (mine is burgundy sparkle, a desirable collectors color), but when I see today's asking prices, I wonder if I can even get $4000 for the set. Partly I wonder, 'cause I am contemplating a new Rogers set once they are released, assuming they have hardware I like, and my Gretsch set maybe my source of funds for the Rogers.
View attachment 421907
trading musician in seattle has this same set for $2500 and it's been for sale for a while.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
when the younger generation gets finished paying off their student loans you may see a resurgence of the vintage market .The older boomer gen, we're pretty much done, we're focusing more on retirement on that sunny beach than buying more expensive gear. We're the ones that drove it into the stratosphere

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
when the younger generation gets finished paying off their student loans you may see a resurgence of the vintage market .The older boomer gen, we're pretty much done, we're focusing more on retirement on that sunny beach than buying more expensive gear. We're the ones that drove it into the stratosphere
Gen-X here, just waiting for all the upcoming estate sales. :)

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is an overall glut of stuff and so many sellers seem to think their kit is vintage/classic going for top dollar. When sellers are charging a hefty price for used gear there are just so many options out there. In some cases for a bit more you can get a brand new Gretsch USA Custom kit and can definitely get a new Ludwig CM kit. There are also the Gretsch Renown, Pearl Masters Maple Complete level kits that are great kits for a decent price. Even two levels down from there is pretty good.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Who would want a newer [new] kit when you can buy a minty vintage kit for less money? It seems its the vintage sound everyone is looking for anyway. As a seasoned drummer, only vintage gear will do, I have no interest in anything else....but that's just me.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Who would want a newer [new] kit when you can buy a minty vintage kit for less money? It seems its the vintage sound everyone is looking for anyway. As a seasoned drummer, only vintage gear will do, I have no interest in anything else....but that's just me.
New gear is like a a new car. I love classic cars, but there is just nothing like driving a new one.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reverb has been collecting sales tax in 2019. They are now up to around 30 states....and more to come. It does play a role in what I'll pay for something. If i can't sell a fairly collectible drum, cymbal, or stand locally on CL or FB.....odds are good I'll net the same on Reverb.....though the buyer is paying 15-30% more on average.

I could buy most any new kit if I really wanted to. They just don't interest me....especially taking that initial depreciation hit. And what was so bad about the USA and Japanese made drums of the 60's through mid-90's anyways? Yamaha RC's, Tours, and Maple Customs, Tama Superstars, Artstars, Granstars, and early Starclassics, Ludwig classics and super classics, Pearl MLX, BLX, DLX, Rogers XP8 and Big R's, Slingerland 5 ply, etc. The quality of many of those kits still stands up today. So many good "used" gear and kit deals on CL, FB, Ebay, and even Reverb continue to pop up on a monthly basis. If I see the need to thin the herd down the road, it sure won't be at an "estate sale."

I think a lot of vintage music dealers got sucked into the "ever higher" prices syndrome that ran from around 1995-2008. And after the wash out of 2009-2011 there was a nice resurgence (ie after shock) in selected vintage gear (ie the most desirable) from 2012-2016. Dealers often believe their own hype and pass that along to their customers. Collectibles markets have had very defined up and down cycles since the early 1960's as the boomer and baby boomer generations have run their course. It will be similar to Gen Xers, Millenials, and others. As long as financial boom and bust cycles continue as they have since 1914, the collectibles markets (and drums) will cycle along with them. Hobbies and "collecting" have been a means to dodge some of the monetary inflation of the past 60 yrs. But it's entirely possible that these newer generations don't catch the "collectibles" bug.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As noted by some, it’s slow after the holidays. Also, consider lowering prices up to 10% for awhile, even in a strong market, to accommodate buyers adjustment to the tax pinch. Even businesses like Cascio Interstate all but lost their edge over GC (MF & WWBW).

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is there Sales tax on used item transactions?
Yes. I've bought nearly all used items on EBay and Reverb this year, paying sales tax to both of those sites. Cymbals, drums, used drum heads - stands - pedals. All taxed. You'd think I'd have run into a no tax state from time to time, but there aren't many of them left. And they have tended to be some of the less populous states. Sellers are more far and few between in those states.

Even the holidays have their spurts. Some people treat themselves to new gear around Christmas and New Years. I've seen it the past few years. In many cases these are impulse buys because they have time off and happen to check out listings on Ebay, Reverb, CL, FB.

Reactions: JDA

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I DONT follow the dark and vintage trend.

I always used deeper, louder, poppier and a more clear sound (brilliant cymbals) and the whole dark and vintage trend made me turn even more to my own sound.

NewBeat

Reaction score
Yes. I've bought nearly all used items on EBay and Reverb this year, paying sales tax to both of those sites. Cymbals, drums, used drum heads - stands - pedals. All taxed. You'd think I'd have run into a no tax state from time to time, but there aren't many of them left. And they have tended to be some of the less populous states. Sellers are more far and few between in those states.
The seller's state doesn't charge the sales tax, the buyer's (your) state charges the sales tax and eBay collects the tax for for the buyer's (your) state. The buyer (you) pays sales tax because the buyer (you) lives in a state that has required eBay to collect sales tax for them on all sales going to any resident (you) of that state, whether the item is used or new.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
(This is what I meant...)

What is this (type of) Music called. (watch he swears a Lil bit)
At 0:38... What's the classification..(robot?(((robot-pop?....AI bubblegum?...Or just nice..

music restarts at 4:56) again) what is that classified as..these days..

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a guy with a drum business I can just tell you my own personal observations and opinions. Today you can get really decent good quality new gear for very attractive pricing. Not everyone wants pre-owned stuff. Some drummers especially guys who've been playing for awhile can see the value of purchasing pre-owned equipment others cannot. As someone else mentioned it can be quite like the car market some people will NEVER purchase a pre-owned vehicle while others will never purchase a new car. I do believe that today with the abundance of brands out their both drums and cymbals and the over all quality that you can get for new gear makes the pre-owned market a tuff sell sometimes.

Latest posts