Masshoff Drums - doing something a little differently

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I happened across Mashoff Drums on FB and followed the link. They're using a few concepts on the their Bomber kit in a new way, by combining them altogether in one kit. The idea is that the kit can cover any sound with this design. Copied from their website:
  • Bass Drums 22x8 & 22x14
    • 5 ply Full mahagony shell with reinforcement rings
    • sharp bearing edge for modern and punchy sounds
    • round bearing edge for warm and bold vintage sounds
  • Toms: 12x8 & 13x9
    • 5 ply maple shell with reinforcement rings
    • modern bearing edge with thick steel hoop
    • vintage bearing edge with light steel hoop
  • Floor Toms: 14x14, 16x14
    • 5 ply mixed mahagony/maple shell with reinforcement rings
    • modern bearing edge with thick steel hoop
    • vintage bearing edge with light steel hoop

Anyone played a Mashoff Bomber? Do they live up to the claim of getting any sound with one kit? How's the quality?

Mashoff 2.jpg
Masoff.jpg

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
More copy from the FB ad, which explains the concept of the kit:

The new 3 headed bass drum allows you to switch the bass drum sound in the studio or live from dry to open and juicy simply by using the faders of the microphones!
You can set upend use the triple headed bass drum in 15 different ways!
This is the first kit that can switch the sound and character from a vintage set into a modern high-fi kit simply by turning the drums around!
This kit is a vintage kit, a modern kit, a stoner-rock kit, a be-bop kit, a street-kit, a caveman-kit or whatever you want it to be! You can go nuts with all the options you have.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the different edge/hoop combos, one on each side? Interesting...

checked out the website, they have a beautiful aesthetic that's for sure

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the different edge/hoop combos, one on each side? Interesting...

checked out the website, they have a beautiful aesthetic that's for sure
That's their approach. I have to admit being as intrigued as I am skeptical. It could be great, or it could be more of a gimmick.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Interesting thing. I would have been surprised, if somebody already played them. As I understand, there is not even a press release out yet.

About a year ago, Masshoff tried to explain his new idea of a bass drum with 3 heads to me, but honestly, I just didn't get it. What I have played (tested) are his drum kits using steel shells. They sound fantastic and are very well made. Toby Dammit played one at a tour with Iggy Pop. Obviously quite solid made.

mike-watt-toby-dammit-and-iggy-pop-of-american-rock-band-iggy-and-the-picture-id161674217.jpg

But not really my cup of tea, sound wise (steel) and - more important - money wise.

What really got me, are the snare drums of Masshoff. Just the best I've ever heard or played. Period.

Masshoff is deep into drum technique. Therefore, I'm curious what comes up with these maple drums, and especially the new bass drum system.

Greetings
Markus

Last edited:

varatrodder

Reaction score
I had some Slingerlands that had edges like that. The top edges were the fat, round baseball bat edges, and the bottoms were 30 degree with a slight round over. The bass drum had baseball bat edges on the batter and a 30 degree with a steep back-cut on the reso. The bass drum reso edge was similar to the DW ESE edge.

Honestly, there wasn't much difference between playing the top or bottom.