Masshoff Snare Wires

frey01270

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if the extra money you pay for "Masshoff Snare Wires" make any real difference to how the the Snare Drum Sounds?.

bonzo60

Reaction score
The price precludes any sound nuances you might detect IMHO. Pearl and World Max both make excellent wires that cost less than $20 US. The World Max German wires have brass end tabs and come with cord and ribbon for mounting. They also make a 16 strand for narrower snare beds or to allow shell resonance more presence. Be cautious of the marketing hype!

Soulfinger

Reaction score
+1 on the Pearl wires, and let´s add Tama to the list. I don´t think anyone can do noticeably better than that. (Certainly not Puresound IMHO, but that´s another story.)

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Canopus, Fat Cat, Tama, Oriollo, and other brands make excellent sounding wires for less money. I’m very picky about wires, and I don’t mind spending a little more for a little improvement; but some of the best sounding wires I have are not the most expensive ones I’ve bought. I seriously doubt paying twice the price for Masshoff would be a good gamble.

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a set, and I feel like they add presence to the snare I put it on that I didn’t hear before. They have a dark attack (like pure sounds),while not being too sharp sounding. I got mine because I was playing in Berlin for the first time.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have all other snare drums sounded bad since these snares have been invented? None have sounded terrific until Masshoff snares were introduced?
Who is saying that? Why are you implying that's what they're saying?

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Who is saying that? Why are you implying that's what they're saying?
This was the question?

Could anyone tell me if the extra money you pay for "Masshoff Snare Wires" make any real difference to how the the Snare Drum Sounds?.

My question was... How much different can an expensive snare wires sound? When we have already heard fantastic snare sound without these?

That was my point. Packaging in a fancy box is about all you get better after a point of diminishing returns.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Sorry to continue straying from the topic, but Fat Cat makes excellent wires. I checked out more than 40 types of wires for a Drum! Article years ago. The two brands that I stuck with after the whole piece were Canopus and Fat Cat.
Did you like the adjustable wires? Or just the regular?

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can you tune your snare? The wires will not make it better if you don't have the instincts to do so. Its suckered money when they sell such things! I've tried some... I found out with decent standard snare wires you should be able to make a good snare drum sound terrific! Tell us? How did all those great drummers of the past get their wonderful sound before the advent of these "super" snare wires? Its all about marketing and getting your money after a certain point.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/7004571/941429776.jpg

Fancy non-essentials raise the price. Maybe they'll supply 'white gloves' to install them with? They are decent snares with a look you'll never be seeing when playing the music. If someone swapped out a pair of regular snares without you knowing it, you'd be thinking these are doing a great job.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net/images/7004571/941429776.jpg

Fancy non-essentials raise the price. Maybe they'll supply 'white gloves' to install them with? They are decent snares with a look you'll never be seeing when playing the music. If someone swapped out a pair of regular snares without you knowing it, you'd be thinking these are doing a great job.
I think we heard your point already, thank you.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did you like the adjustable wires? Or just the regular?
Those weren't my favorite. Their standard 20-strand sets (with whatever clip shape best fit the beds) really stood out. Simple, great wires.

It appeared that it was being glossed over and not seen by some.
A wire change can definitely affect a drum's response. Not necessarily "better", but different for sure. Preference is powerful. If someone's preference is fancy wires in a wooden box, more power to them.

Latest posts