Massive Terry Bozzio DW kit for sale on eBay!

mesazoo

Reaction score
It's like the need some have to not only have the biggest boat in the harbor, but one that's two or three times bigger than the biggest boat in the harbor, even when having a bigger boat doesn't actually provide any benefit (aside from satisfying your striving ego).
Obviously you have no clue what he's doing with them. This is like fusion nothing for you to see here, move on.

mesazoo

Reaction score
Clearly if you play a set even a fraction as large, you either have roadies to load-in/out or you don’t gig.
When he tours with his larger set it is just him and a Soundman/roadie, they both assemble it. Travels in a trailer behind an SUV.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We all approach this differently, which is why this forum is so interesting to me. Playing a big kit is just what Mr. Bozzio does and God bless him for it.

I've told myself that if I can ever get proficient using my one rack tom and one floor tom, then I'd reward myself with a second floor tom.

For the last 15 years, in different bands, I'm done rehearsals with a bikini kit. I've even done gigs with a bikini kit. It's the best bikini in the harbor. Barely enough there to cover my imperfections.

With so many hours of playing with just kick and snare, when I do bring toms to a gig, my bass players--both of whom are women--have watched me setting up and commented: "Hey, Curt. Nice rack."

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love Bozzio's work, and if the man can make a living in this world as a solo drummer, which is pretty much his main gig, more power to him. I've seen his clinics in person and online, and it's not everyone's "thing" but he more than makes the most of his set up.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Terry is a composer. He has pushed the envelope on using the drumset as a melodic composition instrument. I had the good fortune of seeing him and his trio at NAMM in 2005. More than a few people got up and left during the performance because they did not get what he was doing and were expecting a pyro-technic warp speed display of "fugudda- fugudda- fugudda - crash - crash" and although he could certainly do that -- he was using every.single.piece of that kit to orchestrate his compositions. Quite frankly, I did not quite get all of it, and it is not music you would tap your foot to, but neither were many works by Zappa or Sun Ra or Mingus. Their compositions landed in places your ear did not expect. It would leave you in an odd place. I totally understand a person feeling dissatisfied that there is a white noise staccato stacked China when your ear wants the satisfying familiarity of a phrase ending with a long sustained crash. His drum tech on a DW clinic tour (and he had only one) told me that some wiseguy during the Q&A would always ask the "yeah, whatever, but can you groove?" - to which Terry would reply by dropping a couple bars of a feel good 2&4 HH/Bass/Snare pocket so deep you could drive a Mack truck through it -- and then shrug his shoulders with a "what's the point" look - and return back to his themes for the clinic. My understanding is that when he lived in Austin he would sometimes join bands in bars and just a kill a set on a 4 piece for kicks. The guy can play anything -- and he is very fortunate to have the resources and a drum company that sponsor his musical vision to play what he wants. I believe he has a dedicated rehearsal space at DW in Oxnard.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, owning large drum sets all my life I believe I can say from my own experience Bozzio is not about impressing anyone with numbers of instruments. He is a connoisseur of percussion and sound. Aside from being a very gifted musician he is also a very knowledgeable one. The thing he has in common with many players is imagination: percussive sound imagination. They hear things and want to create every tone they hear in their mind. That requires space. While a synth of 88 keys can do an entire symphony orchestra and hundreds of other sounds in a 4-5' wide space 3-5' in height, drumists are not so fortunate.

I have questioned Bozzio's use of numerous bass drums simply on the basis of frequencies and a PA's ability to transfer those frequencies is truly distinctive ways. Low end frequencies lose distinction in simple percussion instruments like bass drums close in diameter. Having owned 20" to 28" bass drums of varying depth, I know it comes down to actual feel than frequency that makes a dramatic difference. That said, Bozzio also hooks things up to his bass drums, like bells or something to produce individual personalities. Without that, things can get kind of mushy sounding kick to kick unless you are going 20 and 26. I used to play a 20 and a 26 and doing dble bass was virtually unnoticeable. Owing to what he actually does with percussion compositions he creates, he can inject frequencies that can hold their own, and it's his gig so ...

Same with cymbals. Bozzio has his own mindset where they come in. My own set has around 50, half of them are splash and accent cymbals, and various hat combinations. Everything has a point. Like a piano, nobody plays all 88 keys in one song but, they are certainly nice to have if you want them. And it depends on the music, as well. I have played music where all the tones can be used. Where they couldn't, I left it home.

I don't own a boat. I've been on plenty of them. The bigger the vessel the more friends and family you can have aboard, if that's your thing. I'm certain there are those who think a bigger boat makes a bigger impression, etc. just like some Rock drummers have had huge sets just for show. I don't believe Bozzio is anything like that type of person when it comes to his drums and cymbals and percussion instruments.

Jazzers back in the early 20th century had all kinds of things in their sets, and had it all on racks. There will always be players that like lots sound variations and find ways to hook it all up and use it.
I've seen Bozzio play many times, going back to Frank, and with Beck's Guitar Shop. I preferred him in those scenarios. He is nowhere near my favorite drummer, but I absolutely respect his musicianship and that he pushes the envelope for our instrument compositionally, which is why I went to see his SOLO TOUR last year. The set he played was much closer in size to the one up for sale than the little Gretsch Round Badge kits I play, but he played the whole thing. In the Q&A on the break he answered a lot of questions and explained much about the elements of the set and how he uses them. He is going for it compositionally and technically. That's just the instrument he likes to play. Me, I'm more of a 'Levon guy," but I dig the work T.B. has done on and for our instrument.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We all approach this differently, which is why this forum is so interesting to me. Playing a big kit is just what Mr. Bozzio does and God bless him for it.

I've told myself that if I can ever get proficient using my one rack tom and one floor tom, then I'd reward myself with a second floor tom.

For the last 15 years, in different bands, I'm done rehearsals with a bikini kit. I've even done gigs with a bikini kit. It's the best bikini in the harbor. Barely enough there to cover my imperfections.

With so many hours of playing with just kick and snare, when I do bring toms to a gig, my bass players--both of whom are women--have watched me setting up and commented: "Hey, Curt. Nice rack."
That sounds like fun and funny! Man enough to play with a bikini kit.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, Terry can kill on a 4-piece kit. The music is in him, not the equipment, and he's got a clear vision of what he wants to do. Case in point:

Terry4Piece0001.jpg

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anybody else see it as a bit try-too-hard? We get it, Man, you have a really big drum set!
Umm...no. What I DID see was him playing the set a couple of times. It was far from an over-the-top visual display from the man who not only played with Missing Persons but for whom Frank Zappa wrote “The Black Page” and other musically challenging drumset pieces. What he did with that set was very creative and could not have been done on a smaller setup.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
That drum set is about a quarter of what I could put together with what I have. I recently counted my cymbals and have 97. I have over 60 telescoping cymbal stands. Maybe when I retire with Firestones I will build a huger kit, have a blowout sale with rollover pricing.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Clearly if you play a set even a fraction as large, you either have roadies to load-in/out or you don’t gig.
It is funny when people look at your large kit and always make comments about how they wouldn't want to move that kit. Surprisingly, not everyone wants to gig. Been there done that. Not my thing anymore. The guitar players I play with are of the same mind. We get together to jam and write music. Guess what. We still have fun. :)

KingLudwig

Reaction score
Just saw this and thought it was nuts. It's for sale! Thought you guys might like to see it:
View attachment 439636
I was lucky enuff to play this mammoth setup
while it was on display @vic's drumshop!
Really had a blast! Thanks to Vic!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only thing crazier
(i love it)
than the kit for sale
(i love it too).
...Starts getting into full gear at (2:00) mark.

Last edited: