"Masters Of Resonance" dw Movie

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
He almost makes (it) "too many choices" that you can't keep up. Keep the the "grain directions' defined and Simple. It (the descriptions ) goes by so fast it's easy to forget which you'd want/like/want to Spec.
Also it's worth mentioning Gretsch* with their (Jasper and Keller) formula shell, had (has!) the Grain Direction in their shell ( That 3rd ply of Gum that fooled everyone (because of grain direction) 50 + years ago...

*and maybe others besides G

He (John Good) should have a Chart for drummers to see and pick from, Lowest possible to highest possible (in regards to) Grain Orientation. And all the Blends of Grain Directions. From Lo to Hi.

Jazz -leaning- drummers 'think' all DW Drums go "doom , doom , doom," (too many low's) .
Clearing that up would go a long way.
And he could do it if he would have a "Clarity" chart
at 23:50 he doesn't explain it (the Grain directions) (after the first two) clear enough
I need the Chart
too many variables puts you in the middle of an Ocean treading water..

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He almost makes (it) "too many choices" that you can't keep up. Keep the the "grain directions' defined and Simple. It (the descriptions ) goes by so fast it's easy to forget which you'd want/like/want to Spec....

He (John Good) should have a Chart for drummers to see and pick from, Lowest possible to highest possible (in regards to) Grain Orientation. And all the Blends of Grain Directions. From Lo to Hi.

Clearing that up would go a long way.... And he could do it if he would have a "Clarity" chart I need the Chart...too many variables...
DW has a ton of info available online. Check out the Info tab and look at the Digitial Literature.
They've got something you might find interesting called the "Book of Plies," here's a link:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
page 14/15 is close.
to a Sound Chart
"oh sh't I can't get any highs out of these drums I bought them off the floor on gorgeous looks and price alone and I got the Deep Low even tho they were 18/10/12/14/5 "..sheeeit....the Velvetta VLT cheese
"You think that's bad" I got the 26" 15/16/18 in the High pitched configuration..
"Wanna trade?" no.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just watched it.
Fantastic film.
The film was not so much a DW advertisement as it was a celebration of American Manufacturing successes. That was such a great thing to see.
It was a seriously well produced film.

It was very cool to see Duncan there. Love that guy. A couple of years ago, I had asked him what snares he used in the studio. I loved the sounds on the discs. Just a great snare sound.
He said only one ... a Ludwig Black Beauty. Blew my mind. All of the snares out there and all that DW makes ... and he still goes back to the one. That says something for sure.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am sure it's one big ad with John & some crazy new wood he found! I'll check it out later.....thanks!

I still have my DW promo video (yes, VHS!) with a bunch of drummers and mini solos by each......boy, have things changed.......

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

that clears it up. zz
I'm sure of not knowing what I may be looking at that I may or may not might have maybe has..

Seem..overly concerned dialing-in "low tension" into the with the plies. No wonder the rep is "doom, doom,doom , doom" I think a Counter to John Good should work there (Called "Sean Badd") the Obsession with "Low Timbre" > Lowered Fundamental Pitch> jeezus

Ginger Bakers DW toms sounded near all the same compared to his Loodwigs
I'm ready to declare all DW sets (for the average fella) sound too low. (lol)
Now I know why. It's baked in

Last edited:

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to give John a lot of credit for putting this whole deal together, with all the specialty equipment and such. I do not agree with everything he says and never have but its an interesting theory...these ply layups. I went to see him speak at the Drum Center in NH only a few weeks ago. He didn't go into any real theory; it was more of a pat each other on the back thing. Russ Kunkle was there to demonstrate four separate drum sets...they just kept moving the mics over. Frankly the drums all sounded the same to me...GOOD..but the same general sound. They had the PA up pretty loud so it sort of canceled out the room.

John's shop is really something I must admit. I've been around a lot of boat building and this is not that different. Still I respect the guy for wanting to go deeper, even if it doesn't amount to any major changes.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think he has a Point of View. Trouble is it's one. But that's Ok. Don lets him run the place. Make the decisions it seems.
I think it amounts to a Change. He favors Lows.
Seems obsessed with them
less attention given to Highs
has an almost Beavis and Butthead juvenile obsession with lows.
Mick Fleetwood's, Ginger Baker, the guy Tris Imboden, Nick Mason? All when on DW sound low.
Neil Peart sounded like he had some highs in the Sizes in post 1 clip near the end.
I think those were Oak so some highs expected no matter "grain orientation"
52: mark =

Last edited:

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think he has a Point of View. Trouble is it's one. But that's Ok. Don lets him run the place. Make the decisions it seems.
I think it amounts to a Change. He favors Lows.
Seems obsessed with them
less attention given to Highs
has an almost Beavis and Butthead juvenile obsession with lows.
Mick Fleetwood's, Ginger Baker, the guy Tris Imboden, Nick Mason? All when on DW sound low.
Neil Peart sounded like he had some highs in the Sizes in post 1 clip near the end.
I think those were Oak so some highs expected no matter "grain orientation"
52: mark =
Joe, You might be right about John and the lower than low thing. Neil didn't tension all his drums low though. That 6, 8 and 10 were cranked....and they stood out because of it. I have 5 toms on one set and the 8 is as high as it will go without choking and the 18 is just above a rattle...but it still produces a round tone. More guys are trying out different things, like Thomas Lang with his"SNOM" When you go to your average concert pitch doesn't seem to be a concern. I know this from working with soundmen who just hear drums one way. I'll say "I've got a picolo up there; I would like very much for it to sound like one....and keep that 8 cracking. I'll use the lower drums when i want LOW!"

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Neil didn't tension all his drums low though.
And they (I think all of them big to little) were Oak Steve. So, you know, may have had some "high bias" no matter the "vertical (that's the soft droopy one right?) vertical and horizontal "Orientation(!
Even a droopy Oak ply must be pert near Stiff (ha

best beat I ever heard in a dw ad

Last edited:

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
And they (I think all of them big to little) were Oak Steve. So, you know, may have had some "high bias" no matter the "vertical (that's the soft droopy one right?) vertical and horizontal "Orientation(!
Even a droopy Oak ply must be pert near Stiff (ha

best beat I ever heard in a dw ad
The oak could have something to do with it in a minute way. I"m probably the only person here who thinks most wood drums don't vary greatly from each other. I mean if you want a rock sound you tune them loosely and if you want Max you crank the hell of them...and everything in between. I could loose friends this way so I'll stop there. That's why I stick with the same kits year after year because the range is more important than anything...to me. Metal is different and so is fiberglass...different enough to hear it when no one else is playing but even that can be moot.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
to do with it
What DW is doing here is stacking Plies. Horizontal, Vertical and Cross-Way's ya know In Search Of.. Like I mentioned Gretsch Since what 1956 had a vertical Ply in the stack of their 6 ply. DW done gone to extremes in my opinion... I'm sure ...don't know for sure Slingerland Ludwig who knows who else back when- had vertical ply thrown in occasionally etc. Sonor had/has their Ply stacking form.. But That's The 'thing' at DW

Old Dog

Reaction score
I think what Mr. Good does is great! He lets us in to most of what they do in production. Explaining everything, describing the cold press that they had patented. It has to be REALLY difficult to try and re-invent the wheel. Some things just work. The grain variations are awesome. I enjoy watching him describe the timbre changes and why.

And I also disagree with the ad disguised as an infomercial. This video is basically a collage of other videos that DW has already put out. And how old is the D-40 kit? At least a few years correct?

The other drum companies have some videos of their factories. But nothing as extensive as what J.G. and DW provide. I think it's great. I just wish I could afford more than a used DW snare!

Latest posts