Masterwork - anyone have experience with or reviews?

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hazelshould apparently is distributing these; some look interesting...

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Masterwork are 1st quality handmade Turkish cymbals offering a wide spectrum of unique sounds for literally any type of playing and any type of music. I've played their Legend Series cymbals for a decade now, each is a musical gem, highly recommended.

MasterworkStockPhoto.jpg MasterworkLegendRyde.jpg

JAZZFAN

Reaction score
I own a set of Masterwork "Natural Series" cymbals - 14" hats, 20" ride, 18" crash & 19" flat ride.. These were bought years ago from a place in Texas called Cymbal Fusion. The bottom line is that these are GREAT cymbals! IMHO, they have a very distinct sound, different from most other Turkish brands. Cymbal Fusion no longer carries Masterwork cymbals and I do not know of a dealer in the USA at the present time. I have spoken to Hazelshould and learned that he sometimes gets these cymbals from trade shows and etc... I do not believe he is a regular Masterwork dealer at this point unless something has changed recently.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some years ago I had the 14" Masterworks "jazz master" Hats. They were pretty nice, like a broken in set of K's in a way.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe that they manufactured the first generation of Soultones for that company. My thoughts are that you cannot really go wrong with any of the hand crafted Turkish cymbals on the market these days.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had one about 12 years ago 19" Jazz Master Crash.
Reminded me at the time of a teenage Old K.
Little light in sound but on the right track. I swore the 'lathe lines looked pencil'd in.
Could see them but not feel them.
This was a 20 I had at the house one day. Same thing

Attachments

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Again, they don't just make incredibly nuanced, complex "Jazzy" cymbals, they also offer several lines to accommodate various playing styles & musical genres like Rock, Metal, Pop and EDM, Latin, etc..

I had these Diamond Series hats that were superb for amplified rock, pop and heavier playing,
Really nice hats, comparable in tone & quality to any of the popular cymbal brands, no question.

MasterworkDiamondSeriesHats.jpg MasterworkDiamondHats.jpg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Again, they don't just make incredibly nuanced, complex "Jazzy" cymbals, they also offer several lines to accommodate various playing styles & musical genres like Rock, Metal, Pop and EDM, Latin, etc..

I had these Diamond Series hats that were superb for amplified rock, pop and heavier playing,
Really nice hats, comparable in tone & quality to any of the popular cymbal brands, no question.

MasterworkDiamondSeriesHats.jpg
MasterworkDiamondHats.jpg
My Soultone Latin series work well with amplified music too. I have a full set that I sometimes use. I am betting that most of the Turkish brands are made in a few foundries and each brand is stamped and stenciled accordingly. I heard that the earlier Soultones actually had Masterwork stamps for a few runs. I'll further bet that most of the Turkish brands have models similar to your Diamond series (or my Soultone Latin series.)

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Indeed, a large portion of the relatively recent explosion of newer Turkish "boutique" brands are probably crafted in the same foundry region of Turkey and inked accordingly, and there's a bunch of 'em - TRX, Turkish, Masterwork, Soultone, Diril, Supernatural, and many others appearing seemingly every few months and certainly lots of wonderful sounds and models from each, a delightful smorgasbord of unique choices and sonic temptations for every player seeking a voice!

As you mentioned earlier, if they're stamped "Made in Turkey" that's usually a good indication you're holding a cymbal worth trying. However, I still subscribe to the simple notion that if it sounds good, it IS good - stamps, models or brands notwithstanding.
It just happened that the Masterwork Legend line spoke to me in a way that I decided to gather up a set of my own, which wasn't easy at the time, as distribution & dealers for them were scarce but they're still going over a decade later and seem to be gaining worldwide popularity & recognition now.

https://www.facebook.com/Masterwork-Cymbals-Official-374351469436399/?ref=br_rs

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Indeed, a large portion of the relatively recent explosion of newer Turkish "boutique" brands are probably crafted in the same foundry region of Turkey and inked accordingly, and there's a bunch of 'em - TRX, Turkish, Masterwork, Soultone, Diril, Dream, and many others appearing seemingly every few months and certainly lots of wonderful sounds and models from each, a delightful smorgasbord of unique choices and sonic temptations for every player seeking a voice!

As you mentioned earlier, if they're stamped "Made in Turkey" that's usually a good indication you're holding a cymbal worth trying. However, I still subscribe to the simple notion that if it sounds good, it IS good - stamps, models or brands notwithstanding.
It just happened that the Masterwork Legend line spoke to me in a way that I decided to gather up a set of my own, which wasn't easy at the time, as distribution & dealers for them were scarce but they're still going over a decade later and seem to be gaining worldwide popularity & recognition now.

https://www.facebook.com/Masterwork-Cymbals-Official-374351469436399/?ref=br_rs
+1. A small note: Dream is a Chinese brand. For me they are my personal favorites, but I am loving the Soultones (and the one Agop) that I own too. You are right, if it sounds good it IS good. Amen to that.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
mtarrani said:
I believe that they manufactured the first generation of Soultones for that company. My thoughts are that you cannot really go wrong with any of the hand crafted Turkish cymbals on the market these days.
Never played Mastercrafts. I agree with this statement but like all cymbals, there are good and bad ones. Not all Turkish ones are the grails. Just like some Zildjian K's and K Con's I've had/played sounded like dogs. I was in Bentley's yesterday and he showed me a few K's - I asked weights and he said does it matter, aren't you going by sound? Very true (although I do like to know weights)......I chose a nice old K based on sound of course!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Oh, you're correct, Mike. Dream cymbals aren't Turkish. My mistake, I somehow confused them with Supernatural, another of the newer, and magnificent Turkish brands.

Regardless, it's a fun era to be a drummer now. As I'm sure you recall, when we geezers started out we had 2 choices....Z or P.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Oh, you're correct, Mike. Dream cymbals aren't Turkish. My mistake, I somehow confused them with Supernatural, another of the newer, and magnificent Turkish brands.

Regardless, it's a fun era to be a drummer now. As I'm sure you recall, when we geezers started out we had 2 choices....Z or P.
I recall :)