Matching a finish.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, here we go. A member here will be happy to see this. This is a Tama drum shell with a tangerine finish. The raw shell came from drumfactory. I can't take credit for the actual color match, that came from my finish supplier. It will be a mixture of yellow and orange dye. Then topped with a gloss conversion varnish. Cross your fingers!
15560641408364795811526393250436.jpg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jeff!

OK, I'll take credit that I'm the owner of this shell and, yes, am very happy to see how it's progressing! For all of you who may not be aware, Jeff is the owner of his own cabinet shop. He's a master at what he does and many of you may have seen his drum restorations here and over at VDF.

Background; I purchased a Tama 11-lug snare drum from a DFO member. I'm not going to name names, but will say that the batter lug holes, all eleven, were ruined from excessive torque. The seller didn't divulge this, but I purchased the drum hoping for the best. After a complete tear-down, I took the shell to my friend Chris Heuer, owner of Heuer's Drum Lab in Burbank, CA. It didn't take very long for Chris to find the shell un-repairable, due to those 11 elongated holes, not to mentioned that the thin single-ply shell was also cracked at just about every batter lug hole. Bummer! I cleaned and polished all the parts and the drum sat for quite some time, until I decided to contact Jeff about making a new shell and transferring all the parts.

I purchased a Keller 5-ply Magnum shell, 5x14, from Drum Foundry, with edges and beds, and had it shipped directly to Jeff. I then sent my complete Tama drum to Jeff so he could drill the shell and transfer all the parts. I wasn't too concerned about what finish Jeff would apply, as the drum will be for display only. Little did I know that Jeff wanted to match the color of the existing Tama shell, which is simply called "Amber".

I let Jeff know that there is absolutely no rush on this project and that it should always take a back seat to any cabinet work that needs to be dealt with. I am happy to say that my patience, and Jeff's expertise, is paying off! Jeff is bringing life back to what would otherwise have been a trashed shell. This 11-lug snare drum is one of those odd offerings by Tama, that may have looked good on paper, but didn't fare so well in actual use! My "new" 11-lugger will be proudly displayed. All thanks to Jeff!!

-Mark

Last edited:

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mark!
Ended up mixing 4 parts yellow to one part orange, sprayed it a little to dark so I wiped down with thinner and lightened it up. The shell looked too orange so I played around with some stains and came up with a mix of golden oak and a color I had made years ago called Mojave. That was too strong so I cut the stain mix in half with thinner. Took a chance and decided to apply that stain mix over the dye mix. Looked better but now needed some orange again, so I mixed in a little of my original 4:1 dye mixture into my gloss top coat and sprayed it. Well I figured I'm not gonna get any closer so proceded with clear gloss coats. Did three light coats of the gloss, looks good but a bit disappointed in the match.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It looks fantastic, JC! Heck of a lot closer match than my Ludwig "Jazzette" mahogany refinish to the original Pioneer I have (so I had to do a Jazz Fest to match!).......of course, I'm an amateur hack.....

As for 11 lug snares....&^%$#@!?????

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Goodness! I never knew that somebody made an 11-lug snare drum. What an oddity. I can see why you'd want to restore and display that one.

And that color-matching on the new shell is simply phenomenal. I'd be very proud of that job. Great work.

Looking forward to the finished product.

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: Tama Eleven-Lugged Snare Drum (year????)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So it's 11 up, 10 down? As my wife says.....veered!

It appears Billy Cobham had a role in the design. Here is a catalog I found....so are these one ply?:

T1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Goodness! I never knew that somebody made an 11-lug snare drum. What an oddity. I can see why you'd want to restore and display that one.

And that color-matching on the new shell is simply phenomenal. I'd be very proud of that job. Great work.

Looking forward to the finished product.

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: Tama Eleven-Lugged Snare Drum (year????)

When you do an internet search for Tama 11 lug snare drum, this pictured drum is one that usually shows up! It's a beautiful example! I was tempted to go with a 6.5" shell, but decided to stay with a 5" depth, which is the original shell of my drum.

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So it's 11 up, 10 down? As my wife says.....veered!

It appears Billy Cobham had a role in the design. Here is a catalog I found....so are these one ply?:

View attachment 394600View attachment 394601View attachment 394602
Yes, these are single-ply shells! Since my drum will be for display, I saw no reason to spend so much money on a single-ply shell. The Keller 5-ply Magnum shell is about the same thickness as the single-ply, but stronger due to those 5 plies. I shouldn't experience any lug hole deformation from tensioning. The original thin, single-ply, shell was never meant for batter heads that require high tension. This is what ruined the batter lug holes on my shell. Well, that, plus the fact that the included head, clear CS with black dot, was well worn. The previous owner would compensate for head wear by tightening the head. This put way too much tension on the lug holes, causing them to oval and crack the shell!

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very cool, Mark! So what are you going to do with the original shell? I'd fill the holes and "fix" it.....and make something of it.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool, Mark! So what are you going to do with the original shell? I'd fill the holes and "fix" it.....and make something of it.
Jeff gets to keep the original shell. My take is that filling the holes is not a fix. The bigger issue are all the cracks, some are major, and bulging around many of the holes. For myself, attempting to have the shell repaired is futile. Let's see what Jeff thinks about this!

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am sure he can fix it....heck, if *I* think I can fix it, a pro like JC should have no problems! Good for him....

I was thinking fill the holes and start with a "new" shell and do a rebuild of something to salvage a solid shell snare.....

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark, speaking of over-tensioning, I worked in a music/prosound store for many years and had the "opportunity" to change out a lot of drumheads for customers. You would not believe how far a drumhead will stretch over time under high tension before it breaks. I saw snare after snare that the batter heads were tightened down so far that there was no space remaining between the hoop and the tension casings. I saw some reso snare heads that looked like they were conga heads! I don't know why, but I saw this happen on Ludwig Acrolites more than any other brand or type. I wish I'd taken pics.

GeeDeeEmm

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am sure he can fix it....heck, if *I* think I can fix it, a pro like JC should have no problems! Good for him....

I was thinking fill the holes and start with a "new" shell and do a rebuild of something to salvage a solid shell snare.....
If anyone can save the shell, it would be Jeff! Still, I'm not sure what you'd do about the bulging and ovaled holes. I could see plugging the holes if they were still round. Bottom line is that I'd be very interested to see what Jeff thinks about it!

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mark, speaking of over-tensioning, I worked in a music/prosound store for many years and had the "opportunity" to change out a lot of drumheads for customers. You would not believe how far a drumhead will stretch over time under high tension before it breaks. I saw snare after snare that the batter heads were tightened down so far that there was no space remaining between the hoop and the tension casings. I saw some reso snare heads that looked like they were conga heads! I don't know why, but I saw this happen on Ludwig Acrolites more than any other brand or type. I wish I'd taken pics.

GeeDeeEmm
Hi GeeDeeEmm!

I've seen exactly what you have described! Most of the time, this over-tensioning won't cause any shell damage to shells, either metal or wood, with "normal" double-ended lugs. Those tiny lugs on that thin single-ply Tama shell, attached with only one small screw, were more than the shell could take when tensioned too much! Yes, Tama did install backing plates, but they really didn't help!

-Mark
4.jpg

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To be honest I have put know thought at all into fixing that shell. Now you guys have my wheels a turnin .

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just received a text message and pictures that my drum is done! Here are pictures showing the color matching, drilling and completed drum! I'm really excited to see the drum and a big "thank you" to Jeff for his considerable talents!

-Mark

Attachments

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark, thanks for posting the pics for me! And thank you for your patience, you have waited a long time. I promise to get the drum shipped by mid week!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mark, thanks for posting the pics for me! And thank you for your patience, you have waited a long time. I promise to get the drum shipped by mid week!
Believe me when I say that the time this has taken is well worth it! Feel free to mount the wires and play the drum!

-Mark

Latest posts