Matching Snare Drums--------Your Opinions

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you like plywood snares, why not get a matching one. I prefer solid maple or metal, so the snare won't match anyway. At one point I got a bop kit w/matching snare, all black, and liked the look a lot, but I soon realized the snare wasn't doing it soundwise (in the end the whole kit took a back seat).
With kits with a high-quality shell type, matching snares probably sound great as well, but with intermediate kits, they might be the weak point, and you can upgrade the kit easily by getting a nice non-matching snare.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I have two kits with matching snares, a Ludwig olive pearl with a matching Classic Maple snare and an old Sonor Force 3K birch with a matching Massebirke snare. I’m fortunate in that both snares sound fantastic but i don’t mix them. Not only would they not look right but most importantly I don’t think they cross pollinate well (maple snare on birch kit and vice versa. )

i do however have some of the usual suspects of Ludwig aluminum and brass shelled snares that sounds great with both, as does a raw Pearl Sensitone brass.

Metal shells can sonically fit most wood kits, in my opinion.

Reality though: the audience sees nothing if anything of your snare but hears it.

makinao

Reaction score
When I got my first kit, a Pearl Thunderking in red oyster in 1975, the snare was a steel #4515. Since then, I never thought much about matching snares.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
brand, series,
GretschLudSnares+ 001.JPG

Match. 00's drums 1965 snare- brand,series (sound, feel) match

Attachments

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Absolutely do not care if a snare drum matches in color, material, brand. I generally like my toms to match the bass drum, the hardware to be the same brand and quality, and the cymbals to be of the same brand. The only time it'd bother me is if the colors are profoundly clashing. I once sold a really sweet Noble and Cooley ash snare drum just because it was red sparkle and my drums were yellow and I looked like a McDonald's on the bandstand.

That said, I do think that a kit like I have set up in the basement now-- Yamaha drums with a Recording Custom snare and 700 series hardware and a bunch of K Cons-- is pretty damned sweet and makes me feel like I'm in a drumeo video.

Buddy Roach

Reaction score
I like the look in pictures but I use metal snares with wood drums. Maybe I could chrome wrap the kit to match the snare?

Latest posts