Matt Chamberlain now with Yamaha. Not April Fools

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This surprised me. I didn’t realize he left Gretsch. I know Matt and love his playing. He’s a nice and humble guy. He was with Zildjian for a New York minute from the early to mid 2000s. I can’t remember the exact years, but he had left Sabian and wanted to come on board and I said “Sure!” In fairness, he never seemed 100% satisfied with the product. The K Con models at the time were limited and he wanted thinner K’s like old K’s from Istanbul. We were just starting to expand the range but he didn’t hang long enough to check them out.

He came to the factory for a couple of days probably in 2002 or 2003, looking for “old sounding” A’s so Paul lathed some existing A’s and just making them thinner improved their sound immensely and I said, “We have to make the A’s thinner.” It would take another 10 years for that to finally happen! Lol

When he left Zildjian to go with Istanbul he was cool about it and I understood the move. I was surprised to see him go back to Sabian but he knows his sound.

Like I said, I like Matt and have the greatest respect, but he’s one of the few guys (like Charlie Watts) that probably shouldn’t endorse companies because he needs the artistic freedom of playing what he wants, when he wants. Charlie technically (I.e. contractually) doesn’t endorse any companies except Vic Firth. He loves Gretsch and uses them 99% of the time but he’s bought all his kits and never signed a contract. I had to twist his arm figuratively to try cymbals.

But I digress... Congrats to Matt and Yamaha. Here’s wishing them a long and happy future together.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With him doing lots of session work, I'm 99.9% sure he's using multiple brands of various snare drums and perhaps drum kits at sessions. So seeing the A&F snare in the photo doesn't surprise me.

I feel most of these company "jumps" are to do more with artist support and/or sound(s) than anything else.

Either way, Matt is an awesome player and congratulations to him and Yamaha.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course Matt could play cardboard boxes and sound amazing.

I wonder if he's using one of those AAX XL's .

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't see a company as small as A&F being able to support him like the big boys.

Normandy Drums

Reaction score
He deletes and creates new Instagram handles all the time. I check weekly to be sure I’m following his current one.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised he hasn't played C&C.
Global footprint often plays into the equation. But in this case, I truly believe that he likes the drums.

He deletes and creates new Instagram handles all the time. I check weekly to be sure I’m following his current one.
Seems odd. It’s like, sit on the pot or get off the can! But I think he is a fantastic drummer.

Normandy Drums

Reaction score
Global footprint often plays into the equation. But in this case, I truly believe that he likes the drums.

Seems odd. It’s like, sit on the pot or get off the can! But I think he is a fantastic drummer.
I’ve very nearly deleted my accounts due to the sharp increase in sponsored ads. It was good while it lasted.

dsop

Reaction score
he’s one of the few guys (like Charlie Watts) that probably shouldn’t endorse companies because he needs the artistic freedom of playing what he wants, when he wants.
Exactly right. Matt likes to experiment and spends most of his time in the studio, not on live stages as much anymore.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like I said, I like Matt and have the greatest respect, but he’s one of the few guys (like Charlie Watts) that probably shouldn’t endorse companies because he needs the artistic freedom of playing what he wants, when he wants.
To be brutally honest, the way he's doing it now ensures that he has the access to big selection of gear for free or at least with a big discount.
I'm sure he likes all the great he has endorsed, and I'm not saying it has been intentional to change the deals so fast. All I'm saying is good for him. His warehouse must be bulging by now.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
Love Matt’s playing and really don’t care what he plays though I would love to know what characteristics in a drum sound he’s going for. I remember on either an Instagram or Twitter post he made mention he was tired of everyone going for that thud/fat/dead sounding drums and he wanted to go back to wide open.
Which speaking of his social media, the whole deleting it every other day has really wore me out. I get only posting occasionally like Vinnie or only keeping 12 posts uploaded like Stan Bickell but I just don’t have the energy to search him out anymore.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favorite period was Ayotte. He sounded so great on Tori Amos live recordings. In the 90's, nobody was making kits like them.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh yes...he likely has quite a collection. That’s cool. He has the sounds down. I could still see him using the Yamaha in the studio on certain things. Sometimes you want a more current sound, other times vintage might be better..

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
By this point anyone who signs him must know he'll just ship in a few years. In an industry based on relationships the whole thing stikes me as strange. And it's fine, it doesn't affect me one way or the other, and I love his playing. But really ... why does he bother ? Does he need a new set of Maple Hybrids in all 15 sizes ? Of course "need" has nothing to do with it. Personally speaking ( and we all know what opinions are like) I have way more respect for a guy like Aaron Sterling who doesn't have a drum deal, doesn't want a drum deal, who could sign with ANYONE in 5 minutes, and takes a $250 60's Japanese stencil kit on the road with John Mayer. Not that Matt cares about my or anyone elses opinion. Again, it's just like.. " Dude, why bother ?"

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Another guy who could certainly have a drum deal is Jim Bogois from Counting Crows. He chooses to be a Rogers guy, on tour and playing in local cover bands. Gotta respect that.
00283AE6-66BF-4088-82DC-AEF77E7AC092.png

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Honesty however, I will say if it was me in his position, I’d be a proud Yamaha endorser. Love their products. JM doesn’t have endorsers so, yeah, I’d be there with Yammies.

Latest posts