Matt Chamberlain now with Yamaha. Not April Fools

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember a cool Gretsch Broadkaster video where Matt compared his vintage Gretsch set to a current set of Broadkasters. In fact, I went to find it on Youtube just now, and it appears to be gone. Vanished.
Leads me to this question: Is Gretsch in the habit of deleting videos of former endorsers? Seems an odd business decision to me, if true. It was a flattering video of their product.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found it interesting that Soundgarden and Pearl Jam weren't the first bands/projects mentioned in the list of artists and bands he works with. Those bands were kind of a big deal...

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember a cool Gretsch Broadkaster video where Matt compared his vintage Gretsch set to a current set of Broadkasters. In fact, I went to find it on Youtube just now, and it appears to be gone. Vanished.
Leads me to this question: Is Gretsch in the habit of deleting videos of former endorsers? Seems an odd business decision to me, if true. It was a flattering video of their product.
Probably not flattering when someone chooses to leave though...for whatever reason. Either way, Yamaha is a solid choice...and at least headquarters is still Japan.

Last edited:

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was a great video and yes Gretsch took that one down. That video really showcased how great the Broadkasters sound.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has a strong global footprint. That helps. And the drums sound great, and they’re always flexible with tuning. I imagine that is a great thing in a studio. Still the best hardware in terms of Tom mounts.
This (global footprint) is probably a big part of it.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This (global footprint) is probably a big part of it.
You guys are way overthinking this. Yamaha's global footprint in terms of the drum market is no bigger than Gretsch. In fact, they sell fewer kits than Gretsch globally. All of the major drum companies can provide worldwide support, either directly or through a network of backline companies. That's a given for any major drum company, for any major artist.

I'm certain Matt's decision wasn't based on Yamaha's global footprint i.e. support around the world... He played some Yamaha drums, liked them, and decided to get involved with the company. But you can bet if he has a show in Copenhagen and the promoter provides a set of Tama drums, he'll use them without giving it a second thought. That's not a criticism - just the reality of how it works.

He's giving Yamaha a try. Good for him and good for Yamaha and I hope he sticks with them.

markkarj

Reaction score
I quite like Matt Chamberlain's drumming. I don't know the business of drum endorsements; that said, I take a Matt Chamberlain ad with a grain of salt given how many different companies he's been with over the years.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Why is it important what brand the guy plays? Yeah, I'm sure he sold all of his old equipment, not. If the guy is good, he's good. I don't care if he plays a $300 SPL and Camber cymbals.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At least the Unboxing of his Gretsch items is still online.

Is there anything more cringe-worthy than having an endorser forced to say nice things about a product on camera? Even HE doesn't seem to stoked about getting his new Gretsch drums.

Other cringe-worthy videos..

Exhibit A:
"Black drums. They look good both live and in the studio."

Exhibit B:
"I heard chocolate...."

Exhibit C:
Drops stick @ 2:45

ncdrumr

Reaction score
I suppose it doesn't really matter. I love Matt's playing. 'One Headlight' is a study in steady.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just listened to the I'd Hit That podcast 2018 interview with MC. He was talking about how his latest thing was to try and do everything with "new" drums. Not needing a 26" Radio King or a set of 60's Ludwigs, which almost every other studio drummer had in their arsenal. He went on to say that 1000's of records have used a Supraphonic snare and producers still ask him to use one all the time and sure that snare sound is great, but does it have keep on being a Supraphonic? Sort of saying isn't it time to use something different/new. Or it was for him anyway. I'm paraphrasing a lot here but that was the gist. Anyway, interesting to hear that with regard to him going to Yamaha, definitely known more for a modern sound, less than a year later.

Latest posts