Matt Chamberlain On New Bob Dylan Album

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautifully understated. The perfect drum part. We need Dylan's writing now more than ever.
Been listening. The whole record is just great!! Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a new found respect for MC after hearing these tracks. IMO it takes a deep awareness of the Blues and much if its recorded history to make the kind of choices he's made here. It's not nearly as simple as he makes it sound. He's quite the chameleon and at least for this project surely threw everything he learned at North Texas in the garbage before playing his first note. You just don't learn to play that way at a music school.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
[Matt Chamberlain] surely threw everything he learned at North Texas in the garbage before playing his first note. You just don't learn to play that way at a music school.
People say this a lot. So much so that I think it qualifies as a trope. Interestingly, Pat Hicks liked to tell graduating classes to "forget everything you've learned here and go out and make music" which also sort of qualifies as a trope, though certainly a less common one.

Without droning on in what would sound like a defensive posture, what you learn at music school, if the school has decent instructors and students and if you're paying attention, is so much more than what's covered in classes and part of your studies.

There's no elitism involved in meeting a lot of people sharing a love and devotion for music under one roof. And I would bet if you asked, even Matt Chamberlain, very, very few people who've studied formally would want to trash what they learned during that experience. And not all of it about making music.

Most importantly, I think it's prudent to recognize that you're ultimately the sum of all your parts. Even the things you may have long forgotten, wished you'd forgotten, or thrown in the trash.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I guess "understated" now means not playing any drums at all on nearly half the tracks. But, yeah, there's some nice cymbal flourishes here and there. Nobody will accuse Chamberlain of being too busy.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love. the drumming on this record, too. And yeah, I'd guess that the kinds of tools Matt learned at music school would make him uniquely positioned to actually take on the gig. He has obviously learned to hear.

For me, music school was about analysis of styles and close listening. Chops were part of it, but what I mostly gained was the ability to listen to music in a way that allowed me to break it down and make it my own.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love. the drumming on this record, too. And yeah, I'd guess that the kinds of tools Matt learned at music school would make him uniquely positioned to actually take on the gig. He has obviously learned to hear.

For me, music school was about analysis of styles and close listening. Chops were part of it, but what I mostly gained was the ability to listen to music in a way that allowed me to break it down and make it my own.
Very interesting ,as I'm mostly self taught .

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, so you were doing the same work, but on your own. That's admirable. Easier now that we have such incredible access to resources online, too.
That's an interesting take on self taught , I do listen intently , but I feel like I cheated myself by not diving into studying harder . Or going to school .

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's an interesting take on self taught , I do listen intently , but I feel like I cheated myself by not diving into studying harder . Or going to school .
Yeah, I mean, I don't believe anyone is, strictly speaking, self taught. We learn by imitation and then by using what we've imitated using our own judgment. So, maybe you were actually taught by Joe Morello or Charlie Watts or whatever. But they didn't get to listen to you and tell you what you were missing or how to do the things they did and you didn't get to hear what their drums sounded like when you played them and all that. The good thing is that a lot of people are doing 1:1 lessons online now. I've thought of doing some of that.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, I don't believe anyone is, strictly speaking, self taught. We learn by imitation and then by using what we've imitated using our own judgment. So, maybe you were actually taught by Joe Morello or Charlie Watts or whatever. But they didn't get to listen to you and tell you what you were missing or how to do the things they did and you didn't get to hear what their drums sounded like when you played them and all that. The good thing is that a lot of people are doing 1:1 lessons online now. I've thought of doing some of that.
I've had private lessons since ...

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope you all know I meant no disrespect to North Texas specifically or any music school or course of study. For one thing I'm a product of two music colleges myself. It was a metaphor of sorts especially considering the overall "style" of this record. Now back to your practice rooms, there's a quiz on the rudiments Friday!

Houndog listen to The Times They Are a-Changing from 1964 and see if doesn't make just as much sense now as then.

IJR

Reaction score
I've been digging this album. I'm a big fan of Blake Mills who played on it. For a similar vibe, check out Blake Mill's album, "Heigh Ho". It is beautifully produced and has Jim Keltner on it.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Great writing and performances; however you lose the band feel from Modern Times, Together Through Life and Tempest. Those albums are works of collaborative art.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope you all know I meant no disrespect to North Texas specifically or any music school or course of study. For one thing I'm a product of two music colleges myself. It was a metaphor of sorts especially considering the overall "style" of this record. Now back to your practice rooms, there's a quiz on the rudiments Friday!

Houndog listen to The Times They Are a-Changing from 1964 and see if doesn't make just as much sense now as then.
I am always perplexed by North Texas as a region. It looks like that would mean aroiund Amarillo. Yet that is the panhandle. So N Texas seems to refer to Dallas which seems like it would be East Texas. Its a state like the town in The Who's song substitute where the the north side faces east and so forth

Latest posts