Matt Chamberlain recommendations

Asher

Reaction score
I'm listening to Brad Mehldau's Largo, and Matt Chamberlain is just killing it on some of these tracks. (I had the album tagged with "Keltner" in my iTunes library, but turns out Jim Keltner only plays drumset on two tracks, and on one of those he's double-drumming with Chamberlain.) Anyway, I've heard a lot about Matt Chamberlain, but I don't know anything else he's played on. Does anyone have some favorite tracks/albums to recommend? Thanks!

Asher

Reaction score
Thanks! That's a cool song, and the drumming is fantastic. Both the feel and the slightly unconventional fills/flourishes remind me a bit of Keltner.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fiona Apple's "When the Pawn..." CD. Fantastic drumming (and music).

Been meaning to check out one of his "Critter's Buggin" CD's too. I think that's what they're called.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
critters buggin

&feature=related

good stuff...
Nice... I just watched a bit of this but I really dug it. I actually saw this band play a few times years ago, but I don't remember digging them nearly as much as I do this video. I like Matt Chamberlain's playing on these couple of records of a project called Floratone that are collaborations with the guitarist Bill Frisesll and a couple of producers, who use the music as raw material and do funky things with it. It's a bit esoteric side, I guess... not pop or even jazz really, but there's some nice playing and really interesting textures. It's a format that fits this guy's playing really well because he really seems to be a very textural type drummer.... something that I also aspire to in my own playing. The comparison with Jim Keltner is pretty apt and it's probably no coincidence that both of these folks have worked with Bill Frisell as his own musical conception seems to have a similar (very textural) bent.

Last edited by a moderator:

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
tori amos....

fiona apple

Last edited by a moderator:

nicmilliner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Tori Amos live DVD "Welcome to Sunny Florida" is pretty awesome.

Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse
Sean Lennon - Dead Meat
Landon Pigg - LP
Sara Barellis - Little Voice
John Mayer - Heavier Things
He's also done some stuff with Brill Frissel and there's a youtube video of him doing a duo show with Charlie Hunter.

He's not on every track of all these records but worth checking out.

RebusKyle

Reaction score
Huge MC fan....

Some of my favorite stuff from him lately is his work with Marco Benevento.

Playing live with Marco:

Promo clip from the album "Invisible Baby"

He's all over Benevento's solo albums:
Invisible Baby
Me Not Me
Tigerface

GREAT stuff.

Asher

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to work my way through these recommendations. I saw Tori Amos back in the mid-90s, but I can't for the life of me remember who the drummer was. (I'm not even positive there was a drummer.)

I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover Chamberlain's drumming!

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
check out the interview with Matt on Michael Shrieve's radio show at http://www.jetcitystream.com/notes-from-the-field-michael-shrieve/

Asher

Reaction score
Got the Fiona Apple CD and the Tori Amos DVD in the mail today. Watching the DVD right now. Wow. Chamberlain just plays perfectly for the music. The trio is incredibly tight and sound quality is great. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll dig into the new CD tomorrow.