Matt Chamberlain

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have recs for Matt Chamberlain tracks to check out?

I really only know him from a few random songs, mainly live work with Tori Amos that I really dug (don't know her stuff that well, but I liked his playing a lot). Would love to listen to more, studio or live.

Thanks

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He basically owns Fiona Apple's "When the Pawn..."

Floratone with Bill Frisell

Critters Buggin

But really...SO. MANY. RECORDS.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw Tori Amos this past Nov in concert and he was not with her, she played to prerecorded backing tracks. I was looking forward to seeing him, but she played solo. Great drummer, one of my favs.

mikesdrums

Drummer
Reaction score
Sounds like you're already hip to his playing with Tori Amos, but this is one of the best drum performances I've heard. He sounds like three different players as he plays conga, bongos, and drum set all at the same time and all with an unbelievable pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

nk126

Reaction score
scaramanga said:
He basically owns Fiona Apple's "When the Pawn..."

Floratone with Bill Frisell

Critters Buggin

But really...SO. MANY. RECORDS.
oh right, i forgot about When the Pawn

will check the others. Frisell!

thanks!

nk126

Reaction score
mikesdrums said:
Sounds like you're already hip to his playing with Tori Amos, but this is one of the best drum performances I've heard. He sounds like three different players as he plays conga, bongos, and drum set all at the same time and all with an unbelievable pocket.

oh wow. that's fantastic. thank you

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's defintely in my top 5. Incredible touch and makes it look effortless. Beyond what's been mentioned, he's done some cool stuff with Brad Mehldau.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
nk126 said:
I think Matt is on the entire second album from Edie Brickell & New Bohemians - Ghost of a Dog

Better yet:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/matt-chamberlain-mn0000329699/credits
yeah, them's a lot of records. lol.
you recommend Ghost of a Dog?
Absolutely, though the music is more folky-pop, the album is full of Matt's flowing, textural feel and great cymbal work (though the drum sound on the album might make him cringe these days). A very tough player to emulate well, in my opinion, because of that elusive, organic feel and sheer musicality - it's almost as if he is painting soundscapes. The man can obviously groove hard as well - like few others.

Best drummer Pearl Jam ever had - albeit briefly.

KRG

Reaction score
I can't remember if he played on the whole first Wallflowers cd, but I know he did play on One Headlight(which is a great tune). I highly recommend to check it out!

KRG

Reaction score
nk126 said:

oh wow. that's fantastic. thank you
One of my favourite Tori Amos tunes! She is always entrancing!

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
live tori amos and matt chamberlain in 1998....superb!

nk126

Reaction score
Neal Pert said:
Yeah, the album with Mehldau is Largo. It's essential MC.
On the last track of Largo right now, my first time listening to the record. Its great - thanks for the rec. love the wealth of styles across the tracks, but it still all feels like one coherent album.

First Id heard of Mehldau was when I went down the Mark Giuliana rabbit hole last year and discovered Mehliana. Some of the stuff on Taming the Dragon is just insane. I played it for a guitarist friend and he gave me a quick primer on what a beast Brad Mehldau is. Ive since started slowly working through his recordings but hadnt come across Largo.