Matt Chamberlain

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
bbunks said:
This stuff is fun

Yes! Sun Rai is dope. One of those artists who at first makes me laugh and bob me head and then I wake up and realize how much musicianship is happening!

Last edited by a moderator:

nk126

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tori Amos stuff is fascinating to me. I really like a handful of her tracks - Cornflake Girl is the one I always hear in my head first - and I find her intensity and quirky-sultry vibe to be incredibly appealing. But a lot of her songs just havent stuck with me, for whatever reason.

But then I listen to/watch these live cuts from that late 90s era, in particular, and the band is so good. Reminds me of Peter Gabriels solo stuff with Tony Levin and Manu Katche - the music itself is different, but theres a similarity to the groove and bass playing, and of course a lot of emotion in the songs.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm fond of the Ayotte era too :)

In regards to Largo, I think Keltner, Jordan, and Victor Indrizzo may have played a part. Don't quite remember.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
here ya go...I got to hang with MC a few times way back...I asked about this snare drum...told it was some Premier model cranked...crackin' & poppin' big time.
Was waiting for someone to post this track. I always heard it was an N&C from the 90s power piccolo era. In any event, one of my fav snare sounds.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I finally got what he was about when I heard his playing on Bob Dylan's latest record Rough and Roudy Ways. Worth a good listen. Listen to the choices he makes and how simple he plays. His feel and the sounds he gets from his drums sound like he grew up in Mississippi in the 1920's and never took a drum lesson in his life! Some great stuff.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let’s not forget he played with Pearl Jam for a minute after they kicked the first drummer Dave Krusen out.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
I've always loved Chamberlain on Sara Evans' Born to Fly. That song makes me feel great, and I'm not really a Country music guy. Stick around for the outro. :happy7:

I'll also chime in on One Headlight. It's a great example of playing for the tune.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Damn, everything he plays has such a great feel! This was the first one that made me fall off my chair and look for more tracks he played on:

Love this track. I've copped that little slurred six-stroke roll figure he plays at 2:40 and 2:44 a hundred times.

paulwells73

Reaction score
Damn, everything he plays has such a great feel! This was the first one that made me fall off my chair and look for more tracks he played on:

Matt is amazing - one of my favorites!

This track “Limp" is incredible, as is the whole record. There are actually two drummers credited on "Limp" - Matt, and the drummer named Butch, who played for the band Eels. I’m not sure who plays what on the track, but I suspect Matt be the one playing the solo in the middle.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
I went through a lengthy obsession with Matt Chamberlain's playing. He is still one of my biggest influences and a truly unique drummer. This record was one that I spent a lot of time analyzing. It's from the period where Matt would use a main kit (Ayotte in this case), His Taos drums and a set of V-Drums through amps and effects, using all three setups to build vibes, loops and textures. Here are three of my favourite tracks but honestly the whole record has some incredible playing and I highly recommend it.

MacDaddy

Reaction score
In an interview, he credited these three tracks with launching his session career. All of them happened and were released in a very short space of time. Like 4 months. I know The Wallflowers record was already mentioned but it bears repeating!