Matt Nolan Tony Williams ride cymbal

curly

Reaction score
I think it depends on what qualities you may want to tame or control. (I’ve been a Vic Firth artist for 6 or 7 years now, so most of experience is with their models.)

If you want to get a bit less wash, you could try something with a long taper - Erskine Big Band, any of the Firth American Jazz series (I like the AJ3 and AJ4), or even a Regal Tip Jazz nylon. I also use the Firth MJC5 to tame a bit of wash and add some bite to the stick attack.

However, if the goal is to mellow out an overly metallic stick sound (which is what I might be hearing a bit of in the sound file) a maple stick and/or arrowhead or small ball tip can help. Try the Firth SD11 Slammer (perhaps the most misleading name for a stick!), SD4, or the first Peter Erskine stick (PE1). The Firth MJC2 has a combination of a long taper and an arrowhead tip, and will simultaneously control wash and give you a darker stick attack. The aforementioned SD11 Slammer is very similar in design, but larger.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! There is a bit of a metallic stick sound which is probably amplified in my small basement space. The SD11 Slammer might be perfect based on the length and diameter with an arrowhead tip. I'll pick up a pair.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks! There is a bit of a metallic stick sound which is probably amplified in my small basement space. The SD11 Slammer might be perfect based on the length and diameter with an arrowhead tip. I'll pick up a pair.
I haven't seen these in stores for a long time. If you can't find them, try the SD9 and SD10 as well.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
could never ever find the right weight in the American Custom series. Besides the #1 General for pad work and the #2 Bolero..and the #4 Combo

In Particular the 7 Whacker the 9 Driver 10 Swinger 11 slammer

after 20 years of owning can say- blah. Never used them for drum set. Very bulky. Shame. Waste.
When you want big maple (the MJC4 is about all that's new) have to go elsewhere than Firth.
An SD3 would be..but no such thing exists (unless it's the General Junior..

the #7 Whacker could be the - and I think it is ' right dimension but only comes in nylon tip. So. Does not compute.

I wonder how less my load would be if I offered for sale all my American Custom 9, 10 and 11. out dated
too much telephone pole- beautifully made - to look at- or pad- stick. never got them on stage just couldn't want to

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
could never ever find the right weight in the American Custom series. Besides the #1 General for pad work and the #2 Bolero..and the #4 Combo

In Particular the 7 Whacker the 9 Driver 10 Swinger 11 slammer

after 20 years of owning can say- blah. Never used them for drum set. Very bulky. Shame. Waste.

It's strange, these days they are often the same weight as hickory. Agree a heavy SD9 can be too much for jazz.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree a heavy SD9 can be too much for jazz.
Ballard filled that gaping hole in the Am Custom line (for a big stylish maneuverable maple stick) with the MJC4..
But could use even more. an "SD3". An "SD7" with a wood tip, now how hard could that be but they've shown no interest

MJC4 Carter B. yt
" Here is a video of everything I have. I used a VIC FIRTH MJC4 stick. " (Carter text

they're a little weird/strange/ dolphin/ hump shape & length to them/ have to fight /it a little. but weight distribute f/r is good decent
It's about an extreme as possible a souped-up SD4.

that's why (when it comes to a big maple stick) I just threw my hands up (no pun) and own some Promuco 2B Maples available at DCP. And I wonder about (talk about basic) a 5A or 5B Promuco Maple.
Wanted to jump from the VF SD4 to a "same but larger" and there were no landings.
Vater 8A felt better in hickory than maple.
Vater 7A Manhattan is good in maple.

but in with Vic Firth I saw- no where to go- except for the wacky MJC4

Last edited:

curly

Reaction score
Here's another combo with the Nolan TW I kinda like. The hats I got with the TW, the 19 was a project that another cymbaholic and I commissioned from Matt. The 19 doesn't have the same volume ceiling as the 22, but other than that, I quite like the pairing.

14 Nolan hats, ~800/900
19 Nolan ~1500g pre war A Zildjian clone
22 Nolan TW