Maxwell repro parts?

DD

Reaction score
Hi all-
I’ve seen a few mentions of repro parts available from Steve Maxwell’s shop and I was curious to learn more and what forum members’ experience has been with those? Is there wide variety available (lugs, claws, the works?) or is it just limited to certain items like rail mounts? Didn’t see description on the Maxwell website so wasn’t sure…

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is still actually available. He had the rail mounts (2 & 4 hole) Slingerland floor tom leg brackets, Rogers Cymbal arm, Slingerland set-o-matic arms, and Gretsch Gladstone style leg mounts.

Of these I know firsthand that the rail mounts and Rogers cymbal arms are no longer available. I tried to buy them at the Chicagoland store and was told they were no longer selling them. Oh, they do have some still in stock but they aren't sure if they can get more so they stopped selling what they do have. I'm not sure on the other pieces.

They were decent quality reproductions, though apparently sourced in China and using metric nuts and bolts.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think all his repro parts (that are still in production) are on his Reverb store. I just ordered a set of Slingerland repro leg brackets. $25 ea. Pretty reasonable IMO.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of Gretsch legs. They work but not great. The gripping etched parts are pretty flat and smooth and the mounts don't hold them well. I also havr a Ludwig repro 2 point mount. It works fine. Pricy items and light metal but they look right.....

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim Petty’s reproduction parts were way better than Maxwells stuff. Unfortunately he just passed away so I would assume that his parts will not be available any longer unless someone takes over his business.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have some of the Gretsch diamond plate floor tom leg mounts and the screws are metric.

What I NEED, badly is one of the long spades that they used to make for the rail consolette mount.

DD

Reaction score
Jim Petty’s reproduction parts were way better than Maxwells stuff. Unfortunately he just passed away so I would assume that his parts will not be available any longer unless someone takes over his business.
I had a Rogers hi hat a few years ago in need of a part and bought it from Jim Petty. I remember it was great quality. Sad to hear of his passing…

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have some of the Gretsch diamond plate floor tom leg mounts and the screws are metric.

What I NEED, badly is one of the long spades that they used to make for the rail consolette mount.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Even well before Jim passed away, a good majority of parts that you would see on his website were out of stock. I had ordered, and pre-paid, for a set of Slingerland push-buttons for use with floor tom leg brackets. A one-month wait turned into a three-month wait, after which Jim sent me back my payment...with no explanation. Jim would always make his parts in batches, never a one-off, and he would wait for orders to come in before parts were actually made.

With that in mind, I'm not sure that anyone would be taking over the business. Jim's parts, while excellent, cost too much to manufacture. Jim once told me that he was taking a beating from the Rogers USA offerings for their B&B lugs and just couldn't compete.

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used a Maxwell rail consolette with my 1967 Slingerland set. As K.O. mentioned the hardware was cheap off-the-shelf quality. But, the rail, upper post with gear mechanism and rod with tongue, was excellent. As you can see, I replaced the cheap hardware with chrome plated ones. I eventually replaced the two cheap bolts, that hold the rail to the bass drum, with chromed bolts. Buying these parts in small quantities cost quite a bit, but I wanted something better for my set!

-Mark

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I downloaded these pictures over 5 years ago. Steve's Swivo cymbal arm was pretty good. I should have ordered one, but never did! I have an original cymbal arm with my 66 Headliner, which is the set shown as my avatar.

-Mark

Attachments

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Maxwell's repro parts. The only exception was a diamond mount bracket that was literally manufactured backwards. I can't imagine how that happened, it was totally useless for any kit. They replaced it right away and were as mystified as I was.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kind of sad that something chromed and mass produced "cant" be made in the greatest country in the world....

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
No, this isn’t 1951!
they are expensive for something made in China!
My guess would be that that's on Steve. He's a smart cookie and charges what he knows the market will bear.

And he is not alone in that regard...Pretty much all metal drum parts and hardware currently come from China but top of the line USA assembled drums aren't any cheaper as a result.

I wish I had bought one of his Rogers cymbal arms when he was selling them. They were a really nicely done repro. I came very close to getting one at the Chicago show the year they came out but then decided to wait as I figured I could buy one at any time down the road. I saw a pile of them in the back room at his Chicagoland shop and asked Steve Jr. what the current price was only to be told that they were not for sale because they weren't sure if they could get more made (same applied to the nearby bin of rail mounts). Perhaps one could sweet talk Steve Sr. out of one but he never seems to be around when I'm there.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kind of sad that something chromed and mass produced "cant" be made in the greatest country in the world....
It can be but it costs a lot more and we're still dealing the environmental and negative health impact from when America did that work.

Reactions: DD