Maxwell's ?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love going into Steve Maxwell's Chicagoland store. It's about two hours away but usually worth the trip...unless, of course, they don't have what I want.

I need three of their repro Slingerland leg brackets and want to verify they have them in stock before making the trip. I've called multiple times on Fridays and Saturdays for the past three weeks (usually on Friday because by the time they are open on Saturday it's too late to make the trip) during the hours they are supposed to be open. Nothing but the machine. I've left a message...no call back. I used their online email query....no response. True I'm not looking to buy a multi-thousand dollar drum set but a courtesy response would be nice. Their repro parts seem to have disappeared from their web page so maybe they've dropped that part of the business and their inventory is all gone. Hence my reason for not wanting to make the trip without knowing they are in stock (ordering online would be cheaper, what with gas and the inevitable stop at a Portillos, but that option would require either the parts being in the webstore, which I can't seem to find, or, at the very least, someone answering the phone). Shades of The incommunicado Drum Supply House at work. I know that Steve's personal cell # is (or was) listed on the site but I don't really want to bother him over such a small purchase. I'm not sure he'd know the status of what's in stock or not anyhow, unless they are just plain gone for good. In which case here's hoping DW will pick up that particular ball instead of "modernizing" things. Steve's brackets are/were a godsend at $25 a pop, vs. paying some ungodly amount for three weatherworn stripped out examples.

Anyone know if something's up with this store, or know whether the repro brackets are still available?
I guess I'll keep trying, hopefully at some point Steve Jr. or whomever will actually pick up the phone. LOL.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Xmas shopping has these guys hopping!!...You're going to need to put on the brakes till the holidays are over. These guys ship world wide, not just in our back yards.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do any other leg brackets match the Slingerland mounting holes?

Dan

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have concerns about inconveniencing a business by calling with an offer to spend money with them? Consider calling Steve and/or the NYC store.

orion

Reaction score
Try calling during the week. Friday and saturday are the official store hours but they're there during the week working also. If you tell them ahead of time you can go to the store during the week too. And don't hesitate to call Steve's cell, that's why it's on the site.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think they may be getting out of the repro parts business. I made an inquiry via ebay (which incidentally- took a few days to get a response) and was told they no longer have rail consolettes in stock and will not be having any made anytime soon. Wish I bought a few of them when they were plentiful.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm suspecting that the brackets are out of stock. I found them on Reverb and that's what it says. I guess the question is whether they are out of stock until more come in or out of stock, period. That's what I need to know. I might break down and call Steve, that's an answer he would know.

If I can't get these new repros I might just get inde mounts to use instead. They would fit but the mismatch in brackets between the two floor toms would no doubt bug me.

I wonder if DW will reproduce these? Obviously the tooling that was used to make Maxwell's does exist. If they want to maintain the brand identity they would be wise to keep these sort of parts in use.

I noticed the complete rail mounts disappeared from Steves website quite awhile ago. I assume they are in limbo as well.

Gliderflyer

Reaction score
I have three of these I don't need anymore. I just sent you a message if you're interested..

Randy

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My thoughts are that Steve's stores have grown so much, and so fast, that it's all he can do to just sell drums from his stores. All is repro parts, at least what's left of them, are relegated to Reverb. I really believe he has a good thing going with his repro parts. The bottom line is that all the molds have already been paid for, so it's just not that difficult to keep the parts coming in. As to the Slingerland parts, maybe there's something in the works with DW? It would certainly make sense. If so, I'd really like to see the tube on the Setomatic turned 180 degrees. Not sure if any of you have noticed, but the design requires the diamond plate for the tom to be upside-down, with the T screw on the bottom. Just way too inconvenient! Not sure if this had anything to do with a patent issue, which is shouldn't, or that Steve just felt it worked better this way.

Anyway, the bottom line is that there needs to be better communications with Maxwell's and customer. As previously noted, we certainly don't want this to turn into another DSH fiasco!

-Mark

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I thought he should have kept the website. Going to Reverb and then looking for Chicago and new York is a pain in the butt
I miss the website - bad move I told him- well I put in my 2 cents

Going to Reverb is a PIA because you can't flip thru sellers easily; can't flip. On the Chicago Reverb page he should include the New York store link . And vice versa.

But I think that's a reverb fault or something
where do you search sellers on reverb?
I frankly don't see where you can..

where's the New York link (or Fork's link) on this (Chicago) page. Serious omission
Reverb is very attractive for many reasons but is not as sophisticated as ebay in search abilities ..or something.
So I think with moving everything to Reverb he's shrunk his (impact and) visibility online
On the old website going to Vintage Cymbals was a one-two click ordeal. Now on Reverb, it's an ordeal.
As someone said he may want walk-in people more. Actual..physical..breathing.. (ha
Guess that's Retro -
; The Three stores should be all linked- connected on- any Maxwell Reverb page

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guess I don't understand Steve's kind of retail at all. Having the tooling made for the reproduction parts is an expensive enterprise. Yet, if you sell out of that inventory, wouldn't that indicate that there is a market for the parts? Could it be that money is tight enough to make it difficult to fund the up-front charges for a re-order from the (surely Chinese?) manufacturer? I don't understand it.

Opinion time. I suspect that when (if?) DW puts Slingerland kits back into production, they will design new hardware such as the Set-O-Matic tom holder. I love the old design, but over time everybody has become aware of its shortcomings. Metal-to-metal adjustments are simply far inferior to modern systems that utilize plastic inserts when it comes to stability, not to mention the ugly scars left on chrome tubing by repeated wingscrew adjustment. There have likewise been dramatic improvements to bass drum spurs and cymbal tilters since Slingerland was still in production. I'm all for retaining the elements that distinguished Slingerland drums from other brands, but not when "authenticity" interferes with superior designs. I have no desire to return to the days of "disappearing spurs," for instance. Give me the modern substantial spurs, any day.

All that to say IMHO that any DW-produced modern Slingerland hardware (other than lugs and hoops) will not retrofit to any past Slingerland products. DW will leave the reproduction business to somebody else.

GeeDeeEmm

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well thanks to a fellow DFOer I'm getting the brackets I needed. Slightly used but at a lower cost and saving me the bother and expense of a trip to the city. So I guess Maxwells not answering the phone or responding (and my subsequent griping about it) worked out well in the end.

Not sure why they would discontinue selling these repro parts since all it probably takes to replenish their stock is an email to a supplier in Taiwan or China. Perhaps the market has softened on these but even so he has a monopoly on them and the markup is probably pretty decent.

Of course I don't know Steve's business model or backstory. I've always figured that he must be someone who made his fortune in some other business and is now spending it doing something he loves. I don't doubt that the stores turn a profit but he seems to have resources beyond what one would expect from running some drum stores.

I know if I had a sizeable amount of cash in the bank I might try my hand at a similar business. Probably a surefire way to turn millions of bucks into thousands.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I doubt the repro parts sold like hotcakes. In fact I am almost sure it took years to sell out the intial batch.

For every person that was happy with the repro, there were two who were flinging poo at it for not being made in the USA, not being dirt cheap, or not being “original”.

But it was a very functional piece and I gigged with one regularly with no problems. Way to many originals are either flaking chrome, missing parts or are just plain worn out.

Really wished I picked up about 3 of them.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought he should have kept the website. Going to Reverb and then looking for Chicago and new York is a pain in the butt
I miss the website - bad move I told him- well I put in my 2 cents

Going to Reverb is a PIA because you can't flip thru sellers easily; can't flip. On the Chicago Reverb page he should include the New York store link . And vice versa.

But I think that's a reverb fault or something
where do you search sellers on reverb?
I frankly don't see where you can..

where's the New York link (or Fork's link) on this (Chicago) page. Serious omission
Reverb is very attractive for many reasons but is not as sophisticated as ebay in search abilities ..or something.
So I think with moving everything to Reverb he's shrunk his (impact and) visibility online
On the old website going to Vintage Cymbals was a one-two click ordeal. Now on Reverb, it's an ordeal.
As someone said he may want walk-in people more. Actual..physical..breathing.. (ha
Guess that's Retro -
; The Three stores should be all linked- connected on- any Maxwell Reverb page
I agree with this completely.