Maybe political but that's on you - Marine Band yesterday

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't have a tv, but one of my Facebook friends said they were sounding great, so I put on a youtube feed.

He was right, it was really great to hear the Marine Band, not something I ever thought I'd turn on..
Not political at all. You're talking about the band, not politics.

Why did you say it "may be political"?

Last edited:

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I recall (from friends who have played in their ranks) The Specialty band members all start at E6. I've talked to some retired Army and Navy band members and they acknowledge that the Marine Band ("The President's Own") get to opt out of basic training, but unfortunately most other Marines (combat and or a lower post band) know this and have been known to give them a bit of trouble when they are met individually in uniform (at least during the Vietnam era).
I know a Percussionist who did his 20 with the West Point "Wild Cat" band and entered the grounds for rehearsal in his "civies" to avoid saluting, etc. He dressed out for rehearsals in the Music building and then reversed the process when leaving.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score

Because the occasion for the performance involved politics, quite clearly, and he wanted to make sure people knew that he wanted to just talk about the music part.

Think of it: the bass clarinet player can now say, "I jammed with Lady Gaga AND J-Lo on the same gig."

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the occasion for the performance involved politics, quite clearly, and he wanted to make sure people knew that he wanted to just talk about the music part.

Think of it: the bass clarinet player can now say, "I jammed with Lady Gaga AND J-Lo on the same gig."
and again, I thank you.

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Neely. Fantastic as always.
The lady belted it our all right. But I was thinking of the band, using PA monitors, trying to keep sinc'd with her. They were below and likely only the conductor had any visual clues to work with.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember a few inaugurations ago, one of our forum members was playing in a band that played for an inaugural event. He posted about it, was happy about it, and I believe he and his band got to meet the President. (My memory might be a little fuzzy about that part). One member here made a big deal about it, saying the post was political because it referred to politicians and a political event.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I remember a few inaugurations ago, one of our forum members was playing in a band that played for an inaugural event. He posted about it, was happy about it, and I believe he and his band got to meet the President. (My memory might be a little fuzzy about that part). One member here made a big deal about it, saying the post was political because it referred to politicians and a political event.
Some people are just idiots, and should be ignored.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lady belted it our all right. But I was thinking of the band, using PA monitors, trying to keep sinc'd with her. They were below and likely only the conductor had any visual clues to work with.
Yes that’s the way it is done. The conductor keeps everyone together. They are pros. Now syncing with The Who with a 60 piece orchestra, no in-ears for the majority of the orchestra, first gig of the tour and the conductor is a couple of hundred feet away was a bit of a challenge!!

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back when I was in the Marine Corps, the commanding officer of the 2nd Marine Division Band was Clarence Clemons' brother. Clarence was a guest at the band's July 4th '87 performance. While not anywhere near the level of "The President's Own," they put on an excellent performance that highlighted their versatility as musicians.

While I was stationed in Iceland, the one of the British Royal Marine Bands are always guests at he Marine Corps Birthday. They put on a great performance as well for the base, but it was strictly traditional military band stuff.

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Watching the Marine Band at the Inauguration, I really dug those crazy trumpets! But moreso, the fact that the drummers were all doing Trad Grip! Yay!

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Personally, I've missed hearing the American patriotic songbook in public lately and feel like we haven't heard it in a minute. I did plenty of marching band/parade drumming in my younger years and it always left a very lasting impression on me the power that music has on people. Young, old, able, disabled, all colors, all shapes - everyone can feel that 2-beat pulse and wave Old Glory.

This will always be my favorite military band clip though - ha!

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I've missed hearing the American patriotic songbook in public lately and feel like we haven't heard it in a minute. I did plenty of marching band/parade drumming in my younger years and it always left a very lasting impression on me the power that music has on people. Young, old, able, disabled, all colors, all shapes - everyone can feel that 2-beat pulse and wave Old Glory.

Wow, that was tight! Can't believe I've never seen this before. The whole band was great.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Adam Neely. Fantastic as always.
Yes absolutely - glad you posted that as I hadn't gotten to doing it yet.

I thought his analysis of the rhythmic decisions was spot on....

Also if you're into the harmonic aspects - I have a friend that was in charge of the music copying (creating parts from the score) in LA, who posted that it wasn't originally intended to be in that god awful key of Gb - but rather G. But it was decided to take it down the half step due to the extreme cold she was going to be singing it in.

I thought the arrangement was simply genius and her ability to negotiate it's subtle, yet quite oddball rhythmic challenges - and not just negotiate them, but absolutely own them was as impressive as all get out.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Which in that setting is all that's really needed - singer and conductor stay with each other.... the orchestra follows the conductor period. I've played lots of Broadway-type shows (which this setting was very much like) where over the course of dozens of performances never once saw anything on the stage (until sitting in the audience on a day I wasn't playing).

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score

the guys in that band must look back and say ''yeah we thought the drummer was good, but who knew?''