McCartney 3,2,1 (on Hulu)

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been watching McCartney 3,2,1 on Hulu. I've only seen the first two segments (of six) and find it fascinating. It's filmed in black and white which adds a certain timeless quality. Paul talks to (record producer) Rick Rubin on a soundstage with a piano and a soundboard so they can isolate tracks and talk about the music of the Beatles and Paul's solo work. They discuss the music's inspirations, developments, goofs, happy accidents, etc. Of course, I'm waiting to hear some musings on some of the drum parts and maybe how Ringo came up with the parts - or what was dictated to Ringo. Maybe, hopefully, they'll get to some of that.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me about this show today and said it offered good insight into the Beatles' recording process. I'm going to check it out when I get back home, given that the Beatles are among my top 3 bands of all time (it rotates a bit) and I'm very interested in how it all happened. I hope more here will check out this show and a real discussion can develop.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've seen all but the last episode. Very interesting. Paul has some very complementary things to say about Ringo in (I think) the 4th episode. One of the songs they listen to individual parts of is Dear Prudence and I hoped he might state once and for all who is playing drums on it since there seems to be some debate about that. He doesn't address it though. Then again he doesn't say "that's me on drums" which may indicate that it isn't him. Every other time he played something besides bass on the tracks they listen to he's quick to point out whatever else he played.

Highly reccomended.

Last edited:

drums1225

Reaction score
My wife and I watched the first two episodes last night, and really enjoyed them. Paul is such a likeable guy, and clearly still gets a thrill from the music. Looking forward to watching more episodes.

aratts

Reaction score
Very entertaining and interesting — although true to form, Paul glosses over a few things in his favor, eg, the other 3 hated recording Maxwell Silver Hammer.

Christopher

Reaction score
Watched them all. Loved the format. Paul is a walking, talking, supreme musical being. Hard to comprehend the talent and knowledge that courses through him.

Thought Rick Rubin asked some good questions. I've long wanted a similar interview with both him and Ringo, reviewing the songs and demoing parts similar to what Paul did with Rick on these.

Must admit that for a few tunes, John's voice saying "more of Paul's granny music" echoed in my mind and make me smile. But even his most corny songs are outstanding.

So cool to see his reaction to some of the solo'd bass tracks. I've long felt that he was a touch more responsible for the general feels and swings to the songs than the other guys. Just a bit, and hearing his explanations of things makes that more apparent.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Saw all thats available, Paul talks of Ringo lightly.
I wasnt impressed with Rubin for some reason.
Paul is genius

Canbeats66

Reaction score
IMO Paul is one of the most overrated musicians/song writers in the history of music. John was by far the more talented and creative of the duo for sure. I kinda feel sad when I see Paul or Ringo play live cause they just don't have it anymore. They should just do interviews about the old days and how great they were standing next to John and George.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO Paul is one of the most overrated musicians/song writers in the history of music. John was by far the more talented and creative of the duo for sure. I kinda feel sad when I see Paul or Ringo play live cause they just don't have it anymore. They should just do interviews about the old days and how great they were standing next to John and George.
Dang , we couldn’t disagree more .
I think Paul still has it , and I much prefer his solo work over John’s …
Paul McCartney overrated ? Never thought I’d ever hear that …….

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched 3 episodes last night , thoroughly enjoyed it .
Paul is as talented as anyone , it’s obvious.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Interesting perspective, what post-Beatles John Lennon songs/albums do you think are great?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Have also seen the first two episodes and have enjoyed them.

Mike

Canbeats66

Reaction score
Interesting perspective, what post-Beatles John Lennon songs/albums do you think are great?
[/QUOTE
Imagine, Watching the Wheels, Starting Over, I'm Losing You, Jealous Guy, Mother, Give Peace a Chance. Paul had Live and Let Die and what else? I never liked that one cause the "you know you did, you know you did, you know you did" seemed quite juvenile and cheesy. Not quite in the class of the Lennon compositions I've listed IMO.

Canbeats66

Reaction score
Dang , we couldn’t disagree more .
I think Paul still has it , and I much prefer his solo work over John’s …
Paul McCartney overrated ? Never thought I’d ever hear that …….
[/QUOT

I just watched this again and yes, I cringed. He hit 1/2 the notes at least.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good to me ….

Did you watch the series we are talking about ?

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO Paul is one of the most overrated musicians/song writers in the history of music. John was by far the more talented and creative of the duo for sure.
I always feel it's a completely pointless argument. They both benefitted from each other's influence.

I kinda feel sad when I see Paul or Ringo play live cause they just don't have it anymore. They should just do interviews about the old days and how great they were standing next to John and George.
I don't think anyone should demand someone stop doing what they love doing. People can vote with their feet, and Paul remarkably keeps selling out huge stadia.
I think Paul has lost his voice, which means the shows are lesser compared to Wings era etc. I don't think he's lost anything as a performer, player of instruments. Both Paul and Ringo just love playing live, and while people are happy to pay to see them I don't think it's our place to tell them to stop playing.