McCartney 3,2,1 (on Hulu)

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dang , we couldn’t disagree more .
I think Paul still has it , and I much prefer his solo work over John’s …
Paul McCartney overrated ? Never thought I’d ever hear that …….
I agree with you on his point!

Canbeats66

Reaction score
I always feel it's a completely pointless argument. They both benefitted from each other's influence.

I don't think anyone should demand someone stop doing what they love doing. People can vote with their feet, and Paul remarkably keeps selling out huge stadia.
I think Paul has lost his voice, which means the shows are lesser compared to Wings era etc. I don't think he's lost anything as a performer, player of instruments. Both Paul and Ringo just love playing live, and while people are happy to pay to see them I don't think it's our place to tell them to stop playing.
I'm not demanding anything. If they wanna play and people want to see them, great! If you wanna pay $500 to see a guy that in your words has "lost his voice", go for it!! I just strongly disagree about Paul being described as a "musical genius" .His piano playing, bass guitar work and compositions were rudimentary at best and his voice has always been sketchy but he totally lost it 25 years ago. As far as stage presence, he never had any. I saw The Who on their last tour and at 74 years old, Townsend and Daultry blew the roof off the place. Saw Ozzy at 70 years old. He had ENERGY and hit the notes...something Paul has never had. Just because he was in the most popular band doesn't make him a genius.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not demanding anything. If they wanna play and people want to see them, great! If you wanna pay $500 to see a guy that in your words has "lost his voice", go for it!! I just strongly disagree about Paul being described as a "musical genius" .His piano playing, bass guitar work and compositions were rudimentary at best and his voice has always been sketchy but he totally lost it 25 years ago. As far as stage presence, he never had any. I saw The Who on their last tour and at 74 years old, Townsend and Daultry blew the roof off the place. Saw Ozzy at 70 years old. He had ENERGY and hit the notes...something Paul has never had. Just because he was in the most popular band doesn't make him a genius.
You should watch the series , his bass playing is legendary. Most bassists would agree ….

Canbeats66

Reaction score
You should watch the series , his bass playing is legendary. Most bassists would agree ….
OK. I'll give it a watch. I've never heard another bass player mention him as a great player to be honest. Maybe I'll have to amend my comments after viewing it. Wanna hear legendary bass? Listen to Imminence Front and hear Entwistle lay it down, or anything by Chili Peppers (Flea), Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, John Paul Jones, etc.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I've never been on board with either John or Paul being labelled as overrated. Both are true musical geniuses whose like we will never see again. Both had glaring weaknesses and greatly benefited from the other. Both had moments of brilliance in their solo careers, as well as their fair share of clunkers.

In terms of post-Beatles catalogs, George bests them all IMO.

Vicey

Reaction score
OK. I'll give it a watch. I've never heard another bass player mention him as a great player to be honest. Maybe I'll have to amend my comments after viewing it. Wanna hear legendary bass? Listen to Imminence Front and hear Entwistle lay it down, or anything by Chili Peppers (Flea), Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, John Paul Jones, etc.
In the early 70s, when Lennon had absolutely nothing pleasant to say about McCartney as a song writer, business man, art collector, or general human being, he praised Paul's bass playing, remarking that it was the basis of half of the stuff then being played in rock and roll. You don't have to agree with John Lennon, of course, but I think it's remarkable that at a time when he was dedicated to sniping at his former partner about everything else, he still could not denigrate him as a bass player.

I'm looking forward to watching the documentary when I can find the time.

Canbeats66

Reaction score
In the early 70s, when Lennon had absolutely nothing pleasant to say about McCartney as a song writer, business man, art collector, or general human being, he praised Paul's bass playing, remarking that it was the basis of half of the stuff then being played in rock and roll. You don't have to agree with John Lennon, of course, but I think it's remarkable that at a time when he was dedicated to sniping at his former partner about everything else, he still could not denigrate him as a bass player.

I'm looking forward to watching the documentary when I can find the time.
Interesting. I'm looking forward to watching it too. Maybe it was lost in the mix a lot of times?

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
you need to talk to more bass players then. Paul is regarded as a master. By all the guys you mentioned. LOL

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am enjoying this one so far. Really cool to watch his face light up when he hears something interesting in the track. That's worth the price of admission right there. Such a genuine love for the art of it all.

fitzsy

Reaction score
Perspective tends to broaden and deepen, and opinions often evolve, with the benefit of age and experience.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Paul McCartney is a fantastic bass player. And the writing talent between John Lennon and Paul McCartney were a perfect match, as were George and Ringo as supporting band members. All the right people in the right place at just the right time.

Last edited:

Canbeats66

Reaction score
I think we should not compare musicians talent to others .
Ha. That's funny. Everyone gets a trophy! Have you ever been or conducted an audition? Ever tried to get signed by a major label or get an endorsement? If you refer to someone as genius, or a "great bass player", comparisons are inherent, no? If you don't compare musicians, how do you know Paul is good?

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha. That's funny. Everyone gets a trophy! Have you ever been or conducted an audition? Ever tried to get signed by a major label or get an endorsement? If you refer to someone as genius, or a "great bass player", comparisons are inherent, no? If you don't compare musicians, how do you know Paul is good?
I enjoyed it, I think Paul is a genius and one of the best musicians in history.
I care not to split hairs .

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine what it was like to see The Beatles live. It must have been a marvel to behold.

Last edited: