McCartney Drummers

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard a quote where I believe Jeff Porcaro said he was “The One” of the next generation. He has an amazing feel. Saw him at the baked potato in LA with the same band as above video.

LBCD

Reaction score
I saw him sitting in with The Psychedelic Furs some years ago and he was awesome...rock solid! He played a Yamaha 22,16,12,10...maybe was a rental. I was so used to seeing him behind a 26'' that the 22'' looked tiny.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
Abe is great! Love Joe and Ringo, too....and let's not forget this guy, though only this one unreleased version I think (JE on the released version?)

Warrenbonz

Reaction score
Back in the early 90’s when I was attending Musicians Institute, a bunch of friends (a lot of them drummers) and I used to go see Abe perform in bars in Hollywood all the time. We would get there early to hear sound check and were all totally enamored with his and his band’s playing. He was always very friendly and on my birthday one year gave me a cymbal signed by him and his band The Raging Honkies. They were a super groovy and heavy three piece band with Michael Landau on guitar and Michael’s brother Teddy Landau on bass. You can check them out on Tidal etc. Here is a YouTube link to one of my favorite Raging Honkies tracks
. There are also some YouTube videos of The Raging Honkies performing at MI. The videos are good but the sterile vibe at MI doesn’t do the band justice as they were just on fire in the bar setting. Abe’s got a beautiful singing voice as well!

Reactions: Hop

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority here but it's taken me a while to warm up to Abe as McCartney's regular drummer. I thought he was a bit bombastic and over the top during his early days with McCartney, but I now have come to appreciate his contributions to the band, which has been together for a long time. He looks like he's having so much fun when he plays, which I enjoy. Still, my favorite drummer in McCartney's recent past is Chris Whitten. I really enjoy his work on the "Tripping the Live Fantastic" live CD.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority here but it's taken me a while to warm up to Abe as McCartney's regular drummer. I thought he was a bit bombastic and over the top during his early days with McCartney
I would agree, great guy but he stuck out as almost too flamboyant for me when watching the band. On the other hand, he does exhibit the pure joy of playing and he's a great drummer.
That said, Denny Seiwell was more my speed for McCartney's style of music.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I would agree, great guy but he stuck out as almost too flamboyant for me when watching the band. On the other hand, he does exhibit the pure joy of playing and he's a great drummer.
That said, Denny Seiwell was more my speed for McCartney's style of music.
Denny Seiwell is my favourite of McCartney’s drummers as well . Denny was a schooled drummer a product of the US Navy Band and he was becoming very well known in the New York studios when he started up with McCartney .

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority here but it's taken me a while to warm up to Abe as McCartney's regular drummer. I thought he was a bit bombastic and over the top during his early days with McCartney, but I now have come to appreciate his contributions to the band, which has been together for a long time. He looks like he's having so much fun when he plays, which I enjoy. Still, my favorite drummer in McCartney's recent past is Chris Whitten. I really enjoy his work on the "Tripping the Live Fantastic" live CD.
Whitten is a beast.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went to school. He was a badass back then. We all knew he was going to get a great gig. It was just a matter of which one.