header.nohb.html

McCartney "Maybe Im Amazed" (Live) - from 1977 or?

Tdipaul

Reaction score
If you've got satellite radio you know this one as it is on all the time.
The tight snare, the toms and the playing sound more modern than "1977".
Like early 90's (Chris Whitten ?)
Paul's vocals too
Am I on the mark or do my ears deceive me?

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, they deceive you... it's 1977 at it's finest (well, technically 1976 to be correct). Though I do agree, the final product was mixed way hard in post production. 14 year old me lived on this record for months!! This was the birth of my Joe English crush!

wings.jpg

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My cousin’s ex saw him on that tour and actually taped it from the audience. Not the greatest tape I ever heard but was very well played and kinda sorta resembled the mix on the live album.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this tour, and the band was great.

I caught Paul and his current band about five years ago, they still nail these tunes every night.

When I was in my early teens, I often played along to "The McCartney Album" that this track was originally from.

On a different note, I used that particular album for... um... cleaning "smoking supplies" for many years. I don't know why that particular album was always used for that job, but I'm guessing that Paul would have approved.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that Joe English used a Gretsch kit on that tour. I wore this record out when it was first released. I've since bought the CD that has a bonus CD with additional recordings from the Cow Palace. I really like that Paul used a real horn section on some of the songs.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that Joe English used a Gretsch kit on that tour. I wore this record out when it was first released. I've since bought the CD that has a bonus CD with additional recordings from the Cow Palace. I really like that Paul used a real horn section on some of the songs.
That's interesting, Joe told me he was still using his Slingerlands in Wings. I wonder if his memory changed. The tour pics were Slingerland but those could have been old

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Joe a couple times in the 80s when he had his own band. At that time I think he was playing Tama? And Paiste!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. There was some discussion about his Wings kit on DFO a few years ago: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/joe-english-w-wings.64416/
Good read, and here is a blurb from his June 1986 Modern Drummer interview..

Screenshot_20221020-232153_Drive.jpg

From the Wings Across America liner pics it looks Slingerland (at lest the tom mount is) so I had no reason the second guess or question. But maybe I should have

Was this a Slingerland kit or his Gretsch with a Slingerland mount?

Screenshot_20221020-233243_Chrome.jpg

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's interesting, Joe told me he was still using his Slingerlands in Wings. I wonder if his memory changed. The tour pics were Slingerland but those could have been old
The pictures fooled you too? They were Gretsch drums with Slingerland tom mounts. For years, I thought Joe English played Slingerland drums on that tour too! But, upon closer inspection, you see that they are Gretsch drums with die cast hoops and Slingerland tom mounts on the bass drum. The Gretsch hardware during this era was just miserable and the Slingerland mount and arm offered more flexibility in setting up.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered what marital misdeed McCartney committed … that he had try to get back in Linda’s good graces with this song.

Had he made a mess in the kitchen and left it to her to cleanup?

Had he stolen the covers on a cold night?

Perhaps, he’d had one too many and fallen asleep watching TV — awakening her late at night with a blaring infomercial?

Whatever it was, he’d put himself deep in the Dog House.

Now it seems my mental energy should instead have focused on the cognitive dissonance of a Slingerland mount on a Gretsch kit.

Oh well ….

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The pictures fooled you too? They were Gretsch drums with Slingerland tom mounts. For years, I thought Joe English played Slingerland drums on that tour too! But, upon closer inspection, you see that they are Gretsch drums with die cast hoops and Slingerland tom mounts on the bass drum. The Gretsch hardware during this era was just miserable and the Slingerland mount and arm offered more flexibility in setting up.
I had a similar Gretsch kit at the time this album came out and was baffled when I found that the drums pictured were Gretsch due to the Slingerland tom mount. For whatever reason, back then I thought it was cool that he wrote "Joe" on the felt strip of the bass muffler.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe English!!!
My absolute favorite drummer for that British itinerant bass player.
Joe was the man.
That guy laid down some phenomenally tasty work both in the studio and live.
His work on Wings Over America will live on as one of the best.
It still sounds good by today's standards.
Loved his work outside of Wings, also ... some great tracks.

Dave

Reaction score
First drummer I noticed playing Open-Handed. Guessing he was a lefty?