Meazzi Hollywood drums! Anyone have?.........

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just grabbed:

All Hollywood President drums.

(Craigs) a 22,12,13,16 Top of the line President kit (incomplete on some parts) in the U.P. part of Mich >(WAY out in nowhere!)

Has with some Slnger/Ludwig stands also. He is boxing them up this weekend! I should have Weds-Thurs!!

(Craigs) a 20" Max Roach BD with partial rack/all wheels in N.Y. It's going out Monday to me. Should have Weds-Thurs!

I need 20" and 22" Hollywood logo heads........BIG long shot,I know.

Anyone know who made the heads for them?

I guess they were quite thin.

Both above are coming Fed Ex, so I should have 2 huge boxes on my enclosed porch soon!

I paid a LOT for new U-Haul boxes (double boxed),tons of popcorn,bubble wrap. I want them in 1 piece!

( eBay) a metal 5-1/2 by 14,8 lug snare in Sydney,Aus! Missing bottom hoop. Anyone have?

(Online) A guy in Germany has the top of line hi hat,and a foot pedal,catalog,and some parts I need!

He happens to be going to Chicago Show too,so we are going to work out a trade or cash. The hi hat is bad ass!

I have already spent a TON of time researching them online,emailing for parts.

They should be SWEET though!

Lots of people online have said they have seen pics,but never a kit in person............It's going to be my first one.

The shells have no re-rings,and FLAT bearing edges,and sound like 60's Sonor's I have read.

Everyone has said they are great looking/sounding drums. Very Artsy-Fartsy looking, ahead of their time drums.

Leave it to the Italians. :notworthy:

Sorry for turning this into a novel,but I am very excited about getting such rare drums!

Blair

Drumjinx

Drum manufacturer
Reaction score
I bought (from a buddy in Iceland),then cleaned and restored a Hollywood Meazzi kit a couple of years ago. I sold it at the Hollywood vintage show. Very cool drums.
They did indeed have flat edges, but sounded just great....very resonate.
What do you plan to do with yours?

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Will try to keep them.............

I grabbed the 20" BD and rack (with wheels) like yours in the pics for $50(!) the other day off Craigs in Queens,NY!

The guy took them to Fed Ex already,and gave me tracking,plus.....is trusting me to send all the money!

I went and sent a MO the day he called me (Thurs) with the price of the drum and box/materials,but didn't have the shipping.

He called back Friday ,and said he took it to Fed Ex already............

I sent a check the next day for that.

nice guy and smoking deal!

Blair

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
PS........in my research,I saw the kit you bought from Iceland when the guy posted pics.

I am surprised he sold them......What did you get for them,if you don't mind me asking.........?

You can PM that info too,if you wish.

Blair

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought (from a buddy in Iceland),then cleaned and restored a Hollywood Meazzi kit a couple of years ago. I sold it at the Hollywood vintage show. Very cool drums.

That snare is incredible looking!

I hope the one from Oz cleans up as nice!

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
NOTE SLOTTED HOOPS/HOOKS COMBO, LATER APPROPRIATED BY ZICKOS

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting that you're digging on these rather odd drums, especially with all of your expertise, etc.

As you might find out at the Chicago Show...well, much closer to home, Blair, the late and very great drummer Roy Brooks, Detroit (check him out on many Horace Silver recordings), played Hollywoods, with a Breath-o-Tone feature: he had tubes running into the ride toms' sound holes and could breathe in and out while playing and change the pitch. He also had their pedal/tympani floor tom, all of it on the roll-away console.

When I was a young lad in the 70's attending U of M Flint and then Mott Community College for, basically, jazz studies, we had hip band directors, and they brought in Billy Mitchell, tenor, Will Austin, bass, Claude Black, piano, and Roy Brooks, drums, to teach us about jazz. Good band, to say the least. Roy had the Breath-O-Tone Hollywoods. Later I'd see him playing around Detroit, the Mythical Afronaut! He'd play at the Art Institute, with the Hollywoods and a bunch of wind-up toys on stage, throw tennis balls at gongs, etc. Here's where it gets sad but possibly very interesting for you, Blair. Roy suffered from serious mental illness and had to be locked away...in the U.P. They did a story on him in the Metro Times just a few years ago. I can't remember if the authorities let him out to come home to die, or if he died at - was he in Marquette, or Newberry? I wonder if those drums were ever Roy's, but I'd have thought he'd use "jazz sizes." I can't quite remember his kit in exact detail that far back. It seems quite odd that a set of Hollywoods would be in the U.P. for any other reason, though there is an avant garde pianist, I think in Newberry, whose album recorded in the 90's was only just released...and reviewed by the N.Y. Times! For our non-Michigan readers, the U.P. is out in the middle of nowhere, the ends of the Earth.

Anyway, it was a sad ending to a great artist's creative spirit and work. His discography is probably quite extensive. He was also a longtime member of M'Boom Re, I think it was called, an African/Jazz/Classical percussion ensemble that was led by...Max Roach. Good luck on those drums, Blair. If they were Roy's, they should be restored, or at least put back together.

Richie Paradise

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Clive Deamer, the drummer in Portishead, Reprazent & Robert Plant, used to have a little Orange Meazzi kit in one of the studios in Bristol. Cute little thing that just screamed 60's Italia.

Forza!

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting that you're digging on these rather odd drums, especially with all of your expertise, etc.

As you might find out at the Chicago Show...well, much closer to home, Blair, the late and very great drummer Roy Brooks, Detroit (check him out on many Horace Silver recordings), played Hollywoods, with a Breath-o-Tone feature: he had tubes running into the ride toms' sound holes and could breathe in and out while playing and change the pitch. He also had their pedal/tympani floor tom, all of it on the roll-away console.

When I was a young lad in the 70's attending U of M Flint and then Mott Community College for, basically, jazz studies, we had hip band directors, and they brought in Billy Mitchell, tenor, Will Austin, bass, Claude Black, piano, and Roy Brooks, drums, to teach us about jazz. Good band, to say the least. Roy had the Breath-O-Tone Hollywoods. Later I'd see him playing around Detroit, the Mythical Afronaut! He'd play at the Art Institute, with the Hollywoods and a bunch of wind-up toys on stage, throw tennis balls at gongs, etc. Here's where it gets sad but possibly very interesting for you, Blair. Roy suffered from serious mental illness and had to be locked away...in the U.P. They did a story on him in the Metro Times just a few years ago. I can't remember if the authorities let him out to come home to die, or if he died at - was he in Marquette, or Newberry? I wonder if those drums were ever Roy's, but I'd have thought he'd use "jazz sizes." I can't quite remember his kit in exact detail that far back. It seems quite odd that a set of Hollywoods would be in the U.P. for any other reason, though there is an avant garde pianist, I think in Newberry, whose album recorded in the 90's was only just released...and reviewed by the N.Y. Times! For our non-Michigan readers, the U.P. is out in the middle of nowhere, the ends of the Earth.

Anyway, it was a sad ending to a great artist's creative spirit and work. His discography is probably quite extensive. He was also a longtime member of M'Boom Re, I think it was called, an African/Jazz/Classical percussion ensemble that was led by...Max Roach. Good luck on those drums, Blair. If they were Roy's, they should be restored, or at least put back together.
Hey Stu,

thanks for all that...............

I know who Roy Brooks was from the Paiste Profiles book.

Yes,I heard he was bonkers........came out of a elevator totally nude once to go to a gig I heard!

He played G.R. years ago,and I told some jazzhead friends to go.They didn't know who he was though...........came back,said he was AWESOME! Played a musical saw they said.

AND........guess what? The Hollywood kit IS IN MARQUETTE!

Maybe he measured wrong,and it's really a 20,12,14! :shock: But,I don't think so.....

Blair

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
PS...believe me......I AM going to restore the shite out of them!

The frikken tom mount is missing though..........thats going to be tough to find.

Of course,I can mount them off cymbal stands,or put 1 in a snare stand.

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score

Very fitting that you sold a Hollywood drum set at a Hollywood drum show! Ha!

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score

Very fitting that you sold a Hollywood drum set at a Hollywood drum show! Ha!
Is that a 6-1/2 by 14? The one from OZ is a 5-1/2 by 14 I think.

Drumjinx

Drum manufacturer
Reaction score
Is that a 6-1/2 by 14? The one from OZ is a 5-1/2 by 14 I think.
I think I remember it being a 6X14.
Speaking of it being fitting that I sold this Hollywood kit at the Hollywood vintage show....I contacted Kerry Crutchfield months before the show to see if he wanted use it for any promotion of the show or any logo's connected to the show, but he did not respond. Then....once he saw it at the show, he remarked on how cool it would have been to have used it...
You just cant win sometimes..... :unsure:

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is the floor tom tunable? Jack DeJohnette and Billy Cobham both played those in the late 60s. Here's a famous clip from '68 of Billy w/Horace Silver:

Last edited by a moderator:

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Hey Stu,

thanks for all that...............

I know who Roy Brooks was from the Paiste Profiles book.

Yes,I heard he was bonkers........came out of a elevator totally nude once to go to a gig I heard!

He played G.R. years ago,and I told some jazzhead friends to go.They didn't know who he was though...........came back,said he was AWESOME! Played a musical saw they said.

AND........guess what? The Hollywood kit IS IN MARQUETTE!

Maybe he measured wrong,and it's really a 20,12,14! :shock: But,I don't think so.....

Blair
Yes, I saw him play "All Blues" quite well on the saw. He actually, perhaps in the 80's, got a gig at Disney World playing the saw. Blair, do the drums have any of the air tube attachment stuff? Brooks also indeed used to have the pedal-tune floor tom.

k.zildjian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I will have the 20" BD tomorrow...........it left NJ at 8:30 this morn.

The guy in Marquette hasn't sent the set yet..he said there was a death in the family. Said he is going to try to send by Friday.

I found Hermine Brooks (Roy's wife) on Facebook . Sent her a E.........no reply yet.

That's it for now Boys and Girls!

rondrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Studrum:

Thanks for the info about Roy Brooks. He was a great drummer. I especially liked his work on the Horace Silver records.

I saw him with Mingus in 1974, and he played brilliantly.

Latest posts