Mechanism for making your hi hat pedal and slave pedal into one switchable pedal

Agdrummer

Reaction score
Ok so I just watched a YouTube video by a Chris Kimball and he had some kind of mechanism attached to his double bass pedal and his hi hat pedal that allows him to slide the pedal back and forth between being a hi hat pedal and the slave pedal on his DB pedal. Has anyone ever seen this before or is this something this dude custom fabricated for himself do you guys think? He's made it so there is one less pedal taking up room and it might be one of the coolest things ever. Thoughts?

Agdrummer

Reaction score
Ahhh ok yeah the guy in the video did say he had the Janus. Have you tried one?

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the Janus in a store when they were new. Felt weird to me. Neither a good hi hat or bass drum pedal, but all in one!

Agdrummer

Reaction score
It seems like such a good idea though. Is it clunky? Hard to get it to switch?

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
I played a gig a couple years ago and the back line set had a Janus setup. Once I got used to switching back and forth, I really kind of liked it. Getting your foot to move the pedal to engage was a little tricky at first.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama had some sort of set up that locked your hi hat down, cobra clamp or clutch?

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oxyacetylene torch

I’ve tried the Cobra Clutch Tama made but it still took up space.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'd be happy with two pedals on the same base. I made my JZ into a No-leg, but that too is a pitb. You could have a 2-3 leg slave/hat combo without the octopus dance.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mapex made the "Janus" pedal which did this. Never really caught on.
Well their marketting dept. definitely didn't help...

Just like Audi who stuggled to move units of their electric models around here because their model name (Etron) litterally translates to "turd" in french... I wish I was joking...