Mehmet & Bosphorus Cymbals

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Its been a while since I delved into the Turkish cymbal market. I only own a few odds and ends from Mehmet ATM.

Been eyeing some Bosphorus rides and hats in the Turk series. Can anyone give me an idea if these are what I am after feel/volume wise? The last time I tired a Turk was a 20 thin ride that was great, should have bought it.

Looking at 21" Medium ride and 14" hats. Do these have a giving/buttery feel? Good stick and bell on the med ride? I need cymbals for electric fusion/prog that are rather dry with good sticking, also want them to have that exquisite Turkish shimmer/vibe.

Should I give these a shot, or the Antique line in the same weight/sizes? Other suggestions welcome also. Will be blending these with Paiste Masters, 602, and maybe some Sabian HHX cymbals.

Thanks all!

Justin

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
All I know is "you" play the cymbals, they don't play "you". In other words what any cymbal lacks or has too much of, You override supersede that by bringing from it, what you want.. except in extremely (weird) cymbal cases.. If you like it somewhat, you will make it work. If you think it lacks something you will compensate and bring out whats good in it.
It's operator derived. Can't depend entirely on the cymbal to do what you want; have to have confidence that you make it do what you want..And it works out that way. You're not at the mercy of the cymbal The cymbal is at the mercy of you (!!! lol true,, Once you have some idea of what you want; have narrowed it down, are open to change, and are ready to move ; even if not entirely sure yet ..maybe wading into the unknown.... move forward !

Last edited:

TPC

Reaction score
True - what Joe said. BUT ...

Bosphorus Turks will be quite a bit drier and quieter than the Paistes and Sabians you mention. Making all that sound like one, consistent whole may take a whole lot of "you".

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
True - what Joe said. BUT ...

Bosphorus Turks will be quite a bit drier and quieter than the Paistes and Sabians you mention. Making all that sound like one, consistent whole may take a whole lot of "you".
I am a bit concerned about the volume issues. Tony @ Cymbalsonly told me a couple years ago the medium weighted models are suitable for electric music. I may try just the ride or hats first to see. I can;t imagine its much different in volume than a Masters Dark Ride, or 602 Medium Hats.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I've used both Turk (non-Master) and Antique series, in normal jazz weight-- not super light. They're beautiful cymbals, with some caveats. They have that glassy Bosphorus thing going, where they sound a little insubstantial playing live, miked or not. And I do find them to be softer than any other brand of cymbals. Which didn't really work for me-- laying into the cymbals while playing the drums softly. At higher volumes, unmiked, they just die.

They're great for recording, and for rehearsing. And I don't think I've ever heard a bad normal-light Bosphorus cymbal. There are a lot of weird super thin ones around I don't like, and I didn't like the few Bosphorus mediums I've played-- they had some strange abrasive highs happening. I medium Turk might be good, though.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Had a 19" Antique - it wasn't very Turkish sounding. Very bright. I have a few Turks now - great sound, dark crash, bell is slightly thin. My 21 has 1-2 rivets depending on my mood and a great buttery jazz ride but not a lot of volume. The other Turk (I think is a 19) was used more as a crash than ride and I am looking to sell it.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will try out the 21" Turk Medium and see if it works for me.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Going to need something brighter livelier on the other said.
Have a 19" Antique Thin Ride. 1633gs. very Turkish . very deep brooding and dark ride. 2 rivets.
Great left side ride and crash. (got it from someone here) Ty
Had a 19" Antique - it wasn't very Turkish sounding. Very bright.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can add in a little, owning over 40 Bosphorus cymbals, mostly Traditionals. I've only recently gotten into the Antiques, and find that they're quite loud, sort of low-end, yet loud. I have a mix of old and new. I thought they'd be like (regular) Masters, which are nice and dry/dusty/airy to me, but they are not. Antiques to me are what you'd play on a Tom Waits record from the 80's-90's if you were going to dare to do it with "normal" cymbals. My recently-bought but early edition 14" Antique hi-hats are screamin' loud. My 16 year-old 13" Masters are piano trio city - all dry smoke.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Going to need something brighter livelier on the other said.
Have a 19" Antique Thin Ride. 1633gs. very Turkish . very deep brooding and dark ride. 2 rivets.
Great left side ride and crash. (got it from someone here) Ty

Already eyeballing a few possibilities..Trad 20" thin ride, or maybe a 19" Black Pearl. I have several Paiste Masters darks that should mate well with the Turk..hopefully!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can add in a little, owning over 40 Bosphorus cymbals, mostly Traditionals. I've only recently gotten into the Antiques, and find that they're quite loud, sort of low-end, yet loud. I have a mix of old and new. I thought they'd be like (regular) Masters, which are nice and dry/dusty/airy to me, but they are not. Antiques to me are what you'd play on a Tom Waits record from the 80's-90's if you were going to dare to do it with "normal" cymbals. My recently-bought but early edition 14" Antique hi-hats are screamin' loud. My 16 year-old 13" Masters are piano trio city - all dry smoke.
I keep reading about the Antiques being loud/agressive. Makes me want to stay in the Turk/Trad lines. The last Trad ride I had from Bosphorus was a 24" Med/Thin. Lovely cymbal, but hardly any bell sound, which I definitely need in spades.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
SOME Bos. Trads. do have bell sound. My 22" does, as well as most of my 20's.

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, the 21" Turk Medium is going back unfortunately. It's almost what I am looking for, just not quite enough ping/wash.. The stick/wash is just too low pitched, even mic'd up. Would be great for strictly small combo work, but I have that covered with Masters Darks.

I am trying again, this time with Istanbul Mehmet 14" Turk Medium Hats. Having owned around a dozen pairs of Mehmet Hats, I feel like they will be a bit more lively. Even the Legend Darks, and Mel Lewis hats I used to have were super versatile. I'll have the Turks tomorrow, so hopefully they will inspire me to order a ride to go with (probably a traditional or heavier Turk 22").

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got a chance to test the Mehmet 14" Turk Med Hats. These are what I was looking for. They are defined and dry, while still having enough slosh and sizzle . The foot chick is great, and they are not that heavy. Haven't weighed them yet, but they seem around ~1000/1200 gram range. The overall quality, fit/finish is great, very balanced. I would recommend these to anyone needing dry and defined hats for any genre.
20200125_162419.jpg

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mehmet deserves more love. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Agreed on Mehmet. Out of the Turkish makers, I am having the best luck with them finding the right cymbals. Also, oddly enough, they match up with my Paiste 602 & Masters, Sabian HHX cymbals very well.. Like they are all the same brand. The Turk bottom with 602 Medium Top and vice versa is very interesting!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the 22" Mehmet Sultan Medium Ride yesterday. I would not say this cymbal is loud & aggressive, quite the opposite. It's at least a couple hundred grams lighter than my HHX legacy heavy. Quite low pitched, spanky stick definition - very woody, nice shimmering low overtones that create a cushion. The bell is quite large, yet integrated and mellow, still cutting and pronounced.
Overall it's a mellow cymbal. The crash is great, like a big 22" dark crash. The edge is flanged from about an inch out, limiting the spread a bit. definitely a keeper!
20200130_190130.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Received the 22" Mehmet Sultan Medium Ride yesterday. I would not say this cymbal is loud & aggressive, quite the opposite. It's at least a couple hundred grams lighter than my HHX legacy heavy. Quite low pitched, spanky stick definition - very woody, nice shimmering low overtones that create a cushion. The bell is quite large, yet integrated and mellow, still cutting and pronounced.
Overall it's a mellow cymbal. The crash is great, like a big 22" dark crash. The edge is flanged from about an inch out, limiting the spread a bit. definitely a keeper!
View attachment 425571
Cool. I've been thinking about Sultans for a while. Your review is encouraging. I thought the "medium" label might result in something a bit too pingy or gongy. Did you pick one based on weight or just order sight unseen?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool. I've been thinking about Sultans for a while. Your review is encouraging. I thought the "medium" label might result in something a bit too pingy or gongy. Did you pick one based on weight or just order sight unseen?
I ordered this one online, unseen/heard. I thought the same about the medium weight label, but the cymbal is more medium/thin, without a scale I have to guess ~2600 grams, or about the same weight as my 22" Masters Dark ride. The Mehmet has more stick definition, and stronger bell. The edge band is lathed thinner to crash easier. There really are 4 playing surfaces on these, that actually sound really different. The Turk section has the spanky/woody ping associated with that line, while inner/outer traditionally lathed sections have more overtones. Very controllable & crashes easily. Also, it is very deep and low pitched.

Latest posts