Mehmet & Bosphorus Cymbals

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a really nice pie.
I should get one in 21".
In what settings are you going to use it?
Got back into the Istanbuls for the fusion/post-rock band I am playing with. I needed some cymbals that fill the gaps with my Paiste 602/Masters.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oooh. I LOVE dark, sticky, low-pitched, mellow pies like that. It seems to be a Mehmet specialty. A few of the ones I own right now match that description. The Origin Darks, in particular. Congrats!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oooh. I LOVE dark, sticky, low-pitched, mellow pies like that. It seems to be a Mehmet specialty. A few of the ones I own right now match that description. The Origin Darks, in particular. Congrats!
Yep me too! That describes this one.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the 17" Mehmet Turk Crash yesterday. This is really interesting. Very dark and low pitched, but also has a nice shimmer and pleasing tone. Love the cymbal & will be building my three crash setup around it. Looking hard at the Mehmet Legend line for that.

20200203_180109.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One thing to note for those who are just starting to buy Mehmet. (So you don't freak out when it happens) I've noticed that the bright cymbals tend to yellow pretty quick vs other cymbals. The drier & darker ones not at all. I believe that they have no coating from the factory. Maybe other brands do! And my kit doesn't move from where I have it. I have a dedicated room in my house with little outside light and A/C running all the time at 68 degrees. To counteract it I've found the solution: Dab a little cream turtle wax and rub it on with a cloth and buff it off with another cloth. Problem solved! I do it once a month to all my bright cymbals including the ones that are non Mehmet. They always look glimmering!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the 17" Mehmet Turk Crash yesterday. This is really interesting. Very dark and low pitched, but also has a nice shimmer and pleasing tone. Love the cymbal & will be building my three crash setup around it. Looking hard at the Mehmet Legend line for that.

View attachment 426045
I picked up an Istanbul Mehmet Legend 24" Sizzle a couple of months ago. I love it. I took out the rivets as what I'm playing right now doesn't call for it.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing to note for those who are just starting to buy Mehmet. (So you don't freak out when it happens) I've noticed that the bright cymbals tend to yellow pretty quick vs other cymbals. The drier & darker ones not at all. I believe that they have no coating from the factory. Maybe other brands do! And my kit doesn't move from where I have it. I have a dedicated room in my house with little outside light and A/C running all the time at 68 degrees. To counteract it I've found the solution: Dab a little cream turtle wax and rub it on with a cloth and buff it off with another cloth. Problem solved! I do it once a month to all my bright cymbals including the ones that are non Mehmet. They always look glimmering!

Good advice! The Mehmets seem to have no protective coating. First thing I do when receiving one is use spray on turtle wax-&-dry. Adds a nice thin coating and keeps the fingerprints in check.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Two more Mehmets arriving tomorrow. Ordered the 18" Mehmet Legend Crash & 19" Legend Dark Ride. Now I just need an 8" splash and 18" china to complete this setup (probably Sultans for both).

So far:

14" Turk Hats
22" Sultan Medium Ride RSR
17" Turk Crash Thin - LSC
19" Legend Dark Ride LSR
18" Legend Crash RSC
10" Traditional Splash

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Two more Mehmets arriving tomorrow. Ordered the 18" Mehmet Legend Crash & 19" Legend Dark Ride. Now I just need an 8" splash and 18" china to complete this setup (probably Sultans for both).

So far:

14" Turk Hats
22" Sultan Medium Ride RSR
17" Turk Crash Thin - LSC
19" Legend Dark Ride LSR
18" Legend Crash RSC
10" Traditional Splash
Excellent! That's how I started. I bought one and started racking them up. Now I've got a bunch and love them.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good advice! The Mehmets seem to have no protective coating. First thing I do when receiving one is use spray on turtle wax-&-dry. Adds a nice thin coating and keeps the fingerprints in check.
Good to see someone else using Turtle wax, LOL! I swear that's the best stuff to clean, polish & protect cymbals. I think I've tried every dedicated product on the market for cymbals and Turtle wax is hands down the best. They should put on the label: "Cleans cymbals too", LOL!!
I can get prints, marks and all the yellowing and one pass with the stuff and they look like factory new! I made a thread a while back about Turtle wax because I felt compelled to pass on how well it works. And the best part about it is that it's like $5 a bottle and available anywhere.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the 18" Legend Crash & 19" Legend Dark Ride.

The 18" crash is incredible. Just awesome. It captures everything I like in a cymbal. Responsive, shimmering, rich/full, rides well, great bell.

The Legend Dark, while an awesome cymbal, was not right for what I had intended. It was very sticky, and the crash was a bit muted overall. That one would be better suited having rivets, or being a main ride on a small/quiet kit.

I have the 19" Legend crash/ride on its way now. If its anything like this crash, its a win. I know its cliche, but these are very "old k-ish" IMO.

20200208_174136.jpg

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up an Istanbul Mehmet Legend 24" Sizzle a couple of months ago. I love it. I took out the rivets as what I'm playing right now doesn't call for it.
How is the stick definition on that one? Would you say its thin or med/thin in weight?

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out the MC Jazz line, if you get a chance. I've got a pair of rides I'm using right now that I'm loving. Now if I could just get my hands on some 15" hats....

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How is the stick definition on that one? Would you say its thin or med/thin in weight?
The stick (ping) sounds well defined from the throne and the bell is stronger than I expected using the shoulder of the stick. However, listening back to my band's practice a couple of days ago the stick definition was not as defined as I was hearing. The bell was however. I was using a Promark MJZ-11 with a small ball wood tip so it is about as small and light of a stick as you are going to find so the stick definition would stand out more with a better choice of sticks. The recording was also from an iPhone sitting near our guitarist and was sent via text so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not a good judge of the weight classes. This cymbal weighs 2,790 grams. Seems like a very nice weight to me and I really like this cymbal.

cjs2002

Reaction score
i have a 21'' traditional thin ride and its incredible. i have used it for indie rock, afrobeat, and electronic sitruations, all in a live setting. definitely buttery on the stick too, and they are crashable.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The stick (ping) sounds well defined from the throne and the bell is stronger than I expected using the shoulder of the stick. However, listening back to my band's practice a couple of days ago the stick definition was not as defined as I was hearing. The bell was however. I was using a Promark MJZ-11 with a small ball wood tip so it is about as small and light of a stick as you are going to find so the stick definition would stand out more with a better choice of sticks. The recording was also from an iPhone sitting near our guitarist and was sent via text so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not a good judge of the weight classes. This cymbal weighs 2,790 grams. Seems like a very nice weight to me and I really like this cymbal.
I also don't know if there is a difference in weights between the regular rides and the sizzles. Maybe they chose a certain weight range for sizzles, choose one that sits a certain way as far as balance on a stand so the rivets stay out of the way, or just grab whatever is available and add rivets when filling orders?

Last edited:

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have a 21'' traditional thin ride and its incredible. i have used it for indie rock, afrobeat, and electronic sitruations, all in a live setting. definitely buttery on the stick too, and they are crashable.
Nice. I used to have the 22" Trad Original Ride and it was like that. may get another!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also don't know if there is a difference in weights between the regular rides and the sizzles. Maybe they chose a certain weight range for sizzles, choose one that sits a certain way as far as balance on a stand so the rivets stay out of the way, or just grab whatever is available and add rivets when filling orders?

That's a good question. When I was looking at youtube vids on the Mehmet Rides, the ones with rivets were usually heavier by a couple hundred grams.

The 19" legend Ride should be waiting on my doorstep today. I will see how the weight compares to the riveted ones online.