Mehmet & Bosphorus Cymbals

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a good question. When I was looking at youtube vids on the Mehmet Rides, the ones with rivets were usually heavier by a couple hundred grams.

The 19" legend Ride should be waiting on my doorstep today. I will see how the weight compares to the riveted ones online.
I actually have four 24” Mehmets at the moment — one with rivets, three without. All of them are within about 100g of each other (roughly 2900-3000g), give or take.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the 19" Legend Ride last night. Just as nice as the 18" crash. Very mellow, shimmering and somewhat dry, nice bell, silvery stick sound. Sounds like a lower pitched and more complex version of my Paiste 602 ME Crash. The 19" Legend is actually about the same pitch as my HHX Legacy Heavy Ride 22"! Love it! Both the 18" & 19" are great "cymbals" just as Mel Lewis liked, they do everything.

The 8" Turk Splash on the other hand was a dud, which I think was caused by Amazon shipping. They put the splash in a plastic bag and shipped it :(

Sent back the 8" Turk splash in favor of a 12" Trad Splash. I already have the 10" Trad so this should fit nicely.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I own a 16" Bosphorous New Orleans crash that is very nice . I also had one of those Sultan rides I should have kept . I enjoyed looking at it during a song , sort of like a target . Bigger bell , just a good ride any way you used it .

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Going to try the Mel Lewis/Vinnie thing.. Ordered a 22" Mehmet Traditional Swish (no rivets) this morning. I have owned many 22" China cymbals, but never one designated a Swish. The weights I am finding online seem to be in the 1700-1800g range. What should I expect sound-wise that may be different from the regular Chinas I am used to? Is it a profile thing? Are these more crash-like?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Erik Smith is a definitely a great feeling drummer, and good presenter of Mehmet cymbals..RC's too!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the 22" Mehmet Traditional Swish. Wow, this one is really thin and dark, very mellow and dynamic, haunting. Sounds great flipped either way, even has a decent bell.

I also have the 12" Mehmet Pang arriving today, and an Agop Dry/Dark Splash 10" tomorrow!

It's a MONSTER!

20200217_173128.jpg

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received more cymbals this week. All keepers!

10" Agop Dry/Dark Splash - Dramatic in its dryness, very cool effect and quite versatile.

16" Mehmet Radiant X-Ray Crash - Thin, fast, dark, shimmering. Beats any HHX, K, A Custom O-zone style cymbal I have owned, not even close.

20" Mehmet Vezir Jazz Ride W/rivets - Dark, exotic for sure, and controlled. Superb stick def and shoulder crashes. A fantastic lighter ride for anything.

20200225_185832.jpg

20200225_185901.jpg

20200224_185440.jpg

20200222_192027.jpg

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good to see someone else using Turtle wax, LOL! I swear that's the best stuff to clean, polish & protect cymbals. I think I've tried every dedicated product on the market for cymbals and Turtle wax is hands down the best. They should put on the label: "Cleans cymbals too", LOL!!
I can get prints, marks and all the yellowing and one pass with the stuff and they look like factory new! I made a thread a while back about Turtle wax because I felt compelled to pass on how well it works. And the best part about it is that it's like $5 a bottle and available anywhere.
Which model(s) of Turtle Wax do you use? I'd be glad to see the thread on this that you started.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well scratch the 12" Trad Pang.. Amazon shipped it in an envelope, so it arrived destroyed. What a waste.
We need to demand that sellers STOP shipping cymbals in bags and folded-over pieces of old cardboard. Hand-hammered cymbals, and they do this. I can't believe it.
I mostly buy Bosphorus on Reverb and continue to be horrified with how my cymbals show up. The pictures below show a stack of boxes from the good sellers and one or two shots of the - whatevers - from the many poor sellers - guaranteed 0% compression/crush protection.

Attachments

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Received the 19" Legend Ride last night. Just as nice as the 18" crash. Very mellow, shimmering and somewhat dry, nice bell, silvery stick sound. Sounds like a lower pitched and more complex version of my Paiste 602 ME Crash. The 19" Legend is actually about the same pitch as my HHX Legacy Heavy Ride 22"! Love it! Both the 18" & 19" are great "cymbals" just as Mel Lewis liked, they do everything.

The 8" Turk Splash on the other hand was a dud, which I think was caused by Amazon shipping. They put the splash in a plastic bag and shipped it :(

Sent back the 8" Turk splash in favor of a 12" Trad Splash. I already have the 10" Trad so this should fit nicely.
I just ordered a 19" Legend Ride to go along with my 24" Legend. Won't be here till Saturday. Can't wait!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually have four 24” Mehmets at the moment — one with rivets, three without. All of them are within about 100g of each other (roughly 2900-3000g), give or take.
Which 24" Mehemets do you have?

Do you mind describing the differences between them?

Thanks.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're interested in Bosphorus and want a sort of transitional cymbal between the traditionals and the Turks, try the Syncopation lathed and SW lines. They're really great and have become some of my favorite cymbals.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a 19" Legend Ride to go along with my 24" Legend. Won't be here till Saturday. Can't wait!
Just got the 19" Legend Ride today. looks and sounds promising with playing around with it for a few minutes but the test will be when I'm able to jam with the guys. The weight is 1723 grams. jtpaistegeist, what does yours weigh?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got the 19" Legend Ride today. looks and sounds promising with playing around with it for a few minutes but the test will be when I'm able to jam with the guys. The weight is 1723 grams. jtpaistegeist, what does yours weigh?
I ended up swapping out the 19" Legend Ride that I had for a 20" Vezir Jazz. The 19" Legend that I had was probably in the 16-1700 gram range. I just needed a lower pitch, the Vezir Jazz 20" is just right.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ended up swapping out the 19" Legend Ride that I had for a 20" Vezir Jazz. The 19" Legend that I had was probably in the 16-1700 gram range. I just needed a lower pitch, the Vezir Jazz 20" is just right.
I'll have to listen to some sound files of the Vezir rides.

I'm also going to keep an eye out for an 18" legend crash.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which 24" Mehemets do you have?

Do you mind describing the differences between them?

Thanks.
Here are the ones I’ve got (so far ;))

-61st Anniversary Vintage
-Origin Dark
-MC Jazz
-Empire sizzle

I suck at describing cymbal sounds, but I’ll give it a shot, I guess.

So right now, I’m using both the 61st and the MC Jazz on my right side. I was actively trying to get rid of the 61st until I paired these two together. They complement each other really well, I think, the 61st being SUUUUPER dry and stiff/platey — kind of like how I imagine those original Jack Dejohnette Sabians might have played (never having tried one, though) — while the MC Jazz has a lot of complex wash and crashes like a champ.

The Origin Dark is like a Turk that OD’ed on barbiturates. It has maybe the lowest pitched stick sound of any ride I’ve ever owned. I love it. Sometimes the difference between a 22 and 24 isn’t all that noticeable. Not the case with this one. You feel every inch of bronze.

And last but not least, the Empire: also very low-pitched, but a very lush-sounding stick. The rivets give it a little bit more simmer, but the thing I really dig on this one is the crash. It’s got this beautiful, gong-y “bwaaaaoooom” kind of bloom to it.

Anyway, I’ve been super happy with all four of these. I thought I would try them out and probably sell two or three of them, but... somehow they all stuck around lol.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are the ones I’ve got (so far ;))

-61st Anniversary Vintage
-Origin Dark
-MC Jazz
-Empire sizzle

I suck at describing cymbal sounds, but I’ll give it a shot, I guess.

So right now, I’m using both the 61st and the MC Jazz on my right side. I was actively trying to get rid of the 61st until I paired these two together. They complement each other really well, I think, the 61st being SUUUUPER dry and stiff/platey — kind of like how I imagine those original Jack Dejohnette Sabians might have played (never having tried one, though) — while the MC Jazz has a lot of complex wash and crashes like a champ.

The Origin Dark is like a Turk that OD’ed on barbiturates. It has maybe the lowest pitched stick sound of any ride I’ve ever owned. I love it. Sometimes the difference between a 22 and 24 isn’t all that noticeable. Not the case with this one. You feel every inch of bronze.

And last but not least, the Empire: also very low-pitched, but a very lush-sounding stick. The rivets give it a little bit more simmer, but the thing I really dig on this one is the crash. It’s got this beautiful, gong-y “bwaaaaoooom” kind of bloom to it.

Anyway, I’ve been super happy with all four of these. I thought I would try them out and probably sell two or three of them, but... somehow they all stuck around lol.
Thanks for the descriptions. playing 2 24" at once is awesome!

I've been really happy with my Istanbul Mehmet's and have a feeling they will be "sticking" around (pun intended) also.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which model(s) of Turtle Wax do you use? I'd be glad to see the thread on this that you started.
Sorry, I just saw that you had replied to this post. I've been off the forum for like 3 weeks and just checked my messages. Here is the thread about the wax which even has a picture of the specific one that I use: