Meinl Byzance, need some advice.

Maxcore

Reaction score
I play in a metalcore-ish band, and have up to now been using a Zildjian A series ping ride to crashride >.< and an A series medium/thin crash along with some random hi hats. My band is starting to finish up writing, and we're getting some shows lined up as well as recording, which brings me to my real questions:

I've been playing heavier stuff that makes use of a lot of loud cymbal work, so I was researching what my fav drummers use, and i found that Meinl Byzance Traditional finish Medium crashes seemed to be the norm. Just wondering if these cymbals are worth the money and if anyone has any advice on them for me, specifically with the 18", 20", and 21" med. crashes.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
You've described your band as "Metalcore-ish"
I haven't heard your band's music so I can only speculate about it's intensity volume-wise.
Byzance are Turkish made cymbals which are recommended for musical situations where dynamics and subtle nuance are implied. ie: jazz, acoustic, pop, latin, blues, ect..

All those beautiful and subtle Byzance tonal attributes will be just be lost in the wash of blastbeats and grinding metal riffs....Can ya dig?

I realize some of the top metal drummers like Adler and Bittner use a few Byzance models in their set-ups, but we're talking about Meinl Endorsed players who can afford to experiment with various models, if they trash a few it's no biggie, they're quickly replaced as per their endorsment deal.
However, if you really prefer Meinl cymbals I'd recommend the Classics, Amun, or Soundcaster models.
They're less expensive, made in Germany, and really MUCH more suitable for intense amplified music.

Maxcore

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input!

I understand what you're saying about the cymbals not totally fitting the type of music I'm playing. I think I may still get the crash, but as far as a cymbal to ride on, any suggestions?

Someone suggested just getting a Zildjian A custom ping ride, but I'm not so sure how thatd sound being crashed all the time.

I've heard it done before too where the drummer will just use crashes, no ride cymbals... any take on that?

Maxcore

Reaction score
Would I be able to crash ride that with good sound?

Thanks so much for you help man, really making this easier for me.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The seller is a veteran forum member who can answer your question
Send him a private message
Good luck

DrumBob

DFO Master
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
You've described your band as "Metalcore-ish"
I haven't heard your band's music so I can only speculate about it's intensity volume-wise.
Byzance are Turkish made cymbals which are recommended for musical situations where dynamics and subtle nuance are implied. ie: jazz, acoustic, pop, latin, blues, ect..

All those beautiful and subtle Byzance tonal attributes will be just be lost in the wash of blastbeats and grinding metal riffs....Can ya dig?

I realize some of the top metal drummers like Adler and Bittner use a few Byzance models in their set-ups, but we're talking about Meinl Endorsed players who can afford to experiment with various models, if they trash a few it's no biggie, they're quickly replaced as per their endorsment deal.
However, if you really prefer Meinl cymbals I'd recommend the Classics, Amun, or Soundcaster models.
They're less expensive, made in Germany, and really MUCH more suitable for intense amplified music.
I totally agree. The Byzance stuff is not made for metal, but they are gorgeous cymbals that will work well on a medium loud rock gig, as well as any other style. The Soundcasters are good cymbals and less expensive.

Aqualung

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Metalcore? So you're playing alot of breakdowns then? The Byzance should work great. Expect them to blend with the mix as supposed to cutting through it.

Paiste Giant Beats would be killer for what you're doing. I have the 24" ride and it's THE crash/ride. Nice and washy. That ping ride would sound like ass with the stuff you'll be doing.
Look into Paiste's Twenty Light rides as well, they come in 20 and 22 inches.

Latest posts