Meinl Classics Custom Dark fans?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had three of the MCCD crashes now... the 18, 19 and 20. The 20 has the most open tone by far and makes for a great crash/ride, for rock more than anything. It can also be played as a dark, moody ride for any other music, but once you open it up with a louder crash, you better have meant to play it that way. It gets very loud.

They're a bit cheaper than the usual suspects by about 100-150 (compared to K zildjian) and they offer a complex, dark sound that can be very punchy when needed

They don't get much discussion here and I thought I'd see if there are any fans of this line. I like them.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love them. Great sounding for a relatively small price. The crashes are especially good.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree. On my kit is a 20" crash that I totally love. Before that was the 18, which didn't open up enough compared to the 20, but it's still good.
The bigger cymbals in this line appeal to me more.

I found a 20" ride that sounds great as a crash and the 15" hats will be coming here tomorrow.

For anybody wondering, the MCC Dark line is hammered to be harmonically complex, dark (as you might expect), slightly dry and they can get really loud if wanted. I've found that the big crash can sound like a dry, airy ride when played with the tip of the stick.

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played some at a shop a while back and was pleasantly surprised. In my head I was anticipating a sound and feel similar to that of Paiste Rudes, but the Classic Custom Darks are "warmer" and feel much less stiff.

I think the popularity of the Byzance series somewhat overshadows Meinl's other lines and they get overlooked, which is a shame because there are some great sounds and textures in their catalog that are of excellent quality, and come in at competitive price points.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
The first time I heard them I’d been listening to a huge variety of cymbals on YT and it was clear to me that they offered something different from all the rest. They have a similar kind of explosiveness to Sabian HHX crashes, but they’re darker, more harmonically complex and they have a less direct sound but it still spreads out more, if that makes sense.

It was enough to convince me to try that first 18” crash and now I found a sound I really like. The B10 alloy works well.

Latest posts