Meinl cymbal discoloring

MtlDrmr5

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing these Meinl Raker cymbals but I am concerned with the discoloring on the crash and ride cymbals. What would cause such discoloration marks? Would this affect the sound of the cymbal?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Old Dog

Reaction score
It also looks like, possibly serious heat applied, like a torch? Not sure how heat would effect the sound. I mean, they are made with heat. . . .

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It also looks like, possibly serious heat applied, like a torch? Not sure how heat would effect the sound. I mean, they are made with heat. . . .
If it’s heat stay away. Reheating will take the temper out of the metal and it will crack or fracture much easier since the metal is now softer. I doubt after reheating they dunked it in cold water or similar methods to temper it but maybe?

Old Dog

Reaction score
If it’s heat stay away. Reheating will take the temper out of the metal and it will crack or fracture much easier since the metal is now softer. I doubt after reheating they dunked it in cold water or similar methods to temper it but maybe?
It kinda has that torched look to me. Which is why I mentioned it. I wonder what was done to them?? :blink:

mbettis

Reaction score
Looks like somebody applied a patina solution to me. However, I will not discount the possibility of heat damage. As a buyer, I would stay away unless I were confident that they had not been heated.

Matt

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've not played the Raker crashes but I have those same hats and they're among the best pairs I've ever owned.

Latest posts