Meinl Cymbals

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
How good are Meinl B10 and B20 cymbals?
What do they sound like?
Good quality?

I am considering a used Gretsch Catalina Special Edition and it comes with Meinl Dark cymbals.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey bud.
I have played mostly Byzance.
The Dark line is kind of sort of like the roughed up jazzy ones.
I don’t prefer them as I like shimmer and a lot of body in my cymbals.
But as far as quality … Meinl B20 cymbals are phenomenal.
I literally just returned from Memphis with a large stack of new cymbals.
Among them were three Byzance crashes - 20,19,17.
Great cymbals.

Latdrummer

Reaction score
Meinl cymbals in general seem well made, but to be honest I don't think they offer something different or special compared to the other brands. Just another competitor in the sea of manufacturers.

Talking specifically about the Custom Darks (B10), make sure you check demos on Youtube or test them before you buy, I did some listening out of curiosity but just couldn't like them.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few models of Meinl I would really like to check out . I love the Benny Greb Sand cymbal set and I like the 21” Transition ride Mike Johnson helped develop .

halldorl

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are a few models of Meinl I would really like to check out . I love the Benny Greb Sand cymbal set and I like the 21” Transition ride Mike Johnson helped develop .
The Mike Johnston ride is my favorit ride. Extremely versatile. I loved it from the start but when I took it to a gig that’s when I realized what an amazing cymbal it was. I believe it’s the only cymbal I keep getting comments on, especially from bass players. I even once got a comment from an audience member after a gig.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Byzance taditional hats user here. Great great cymbals! And I agree with halldorl, German QC is great because I've tested a few pairs in thes store and they all sounded 99% the same. I can't say the same thing for Zildjian!