Meinl HCS?

Nubs

Reaction score
What is the overall consensus on this cymbal line? From what I've researched, they sound nice for the money.

I'm getting back into drumming and will be playing with a blues band (me, bass, 2 guitars, and keys). So I'd like cymbals that sound good and are inexpensive.

I also have my eyes on the Wuhan Western cymbal pack which seems unreal for the price.

Which would you do and why?

Thanks all!

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you already have a drum kit? If so, I'd focus on getting a slightly lower end drum kit and then nicer cymbals. You can find 70's Zildjian's for a relative steal.

Cheap cymbals will always sound like cheap cymbals, cheap drums can sound good with new heads and tuning.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Meinl HCS don´t sound too bad for brass cymbals - which is a bit like saying (to quote Jeremy Clarkson): "Hooray, I´ve got gonorrhea, the best of veneral diseases!"

Don´t bother with them. As above - go used. Zildjian As or older Sabians can be had for very little money.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The HCS are surprisingly nice for cheap cymbals...but...I just sold some old A. Zildjians. I think I only got about $80 each for a 16 crash and 20" ride and sold set of new beats for 120. All of them were really nice and about the same price as new budget cymbals.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the Meinl HCS cymbals
Trash Crash over a smaller China
Trash Stack

Great value and the Trash Crash is very usable on gigs, especially for more Electro gigs along with some Meinl Gen-X Johhny Rabb cymbals

Cheers
Mick

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The HCS are surprisingly nice for cheap cymbals...but...I just sold some old A. Zildjians. I think I only got about $80 each for a 16 crash and 20" ride and sold set of new beats for 120. All of them were really nice and about the same price as new budget cymbals.
are you serious? I thought Meinl HCS was junk.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the A Zildjian or AA Sabians vs HCS, Sabian B8, ZBT's and other starter cymbals. You can find nearly new starter packs of Zildjian A's for around $450 (hats, 16,18,21 sweet ride). For the older A's in well worn condition, that same pack can be found for around $300.....for Sabian AA around $250. On Ebay this past 1-2 months I saw a nearly new set of Paiste PST7's (hats, 16,18,20) sell for around $225 delivered. Really great value for semi-pro cymbals and far superior to all the starter models.

Nubs

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I'm heading to the local GC tomorrow to probably pick up a kit (Ludwig Breakbeats or SPL Street Bop). Since I'm just getting back into drumming, I don't wanna spend a ton right now. Maybe down the road when we get rolling, then I can invest in a better kit/cymbals. But for now, just want something that sounds nice & doesn't break the bank.

Thanks again!

mpungercar

Reaction score
What is the overall consensus on this cymbal line? From what I've researched, they sound nice for the money.

I'm getting back into drumming and will be playing with a blues band (me, bass, 2 guitars, and keys). So I'd like cymbals that sound good and are inexpensive.

I also have my eyes on the Wuhan Western cymbal pack which seems unreal for the price.

Which would you do and why?

Thanks all!
Of those two choices, I would definitely go with the Wuhan cymbal pack.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I have the hcs 13" hats 16",14" crash and a 10" splash. I actually like the sound of them and they are durable. They are a little bright but overall good for pop and classic rock. I just wouldn't buy the ride. That's the only cymbal in that line I dont like. Not enough sustain for my taste. Fortunately I have a 22" zildjian ride from the 60s I think that I will never give up.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The HCS line will make noise. But they will not inspire u to play well. Agop xist are the best entry level cymbals IMO. I still GI with them from time to time.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The HCS do make a noise when you hit them but as stated above not a very musical one. I strongly suggest finding some used higher level cymbals that inspire you.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't say I've heard any HCS that sound good to me. In my most recent cheap cymbal hunt I went with an unbranded 18" crash over the HCS. It was better in sound (IMHO) and price (cold fact).

Latest posts