Meinl Percussion "pickup" cajon and snare

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wondered if anyone has messed with one of these? As a longtime experimenter/constructor of electronic percussion devices, I'm well aware that a "bare" piezo sensor is a stand-alone generator of a signal ..... in response to physical shock or vibration. Usually, these are used to provide a "trigger pulse" to a sound generator (synth, sample player, etc) ...... but I suppose the voltage spike itself (which is quite substantial into a high-impedance load (like an oscilloscope)) could itself be used as a passive (no power supply, battery, etc) signal. The Meinl "pickup" devices seem to have "tone controls"; this could be nothing more than a low-pass filter circuit to remove the very highest frequencies in the voltage spike. I'm trying to imagine what this slightly modified "audio" signal would actually sound like if amplified and played through an amp and speaker. Modern amps have high-impedance "bridging" inputs (line level); and of course, guitar amps accept very low-power (mic level) inputs. Do these Meinl devices produce a usable "percussion" sound ...... or just a loud click, snap, or pop?

I suppose I could just mock this up and try it ...... but confess, it never occurred to me to do so. I've even got a cajon that I fitted up with a faceplate piezo pickup; years ago, I got the idea of using the cajon as a speaker enclosure. Mine has a downward-firing 8" woofer, with a small amp built in. I feed the faceplate piezo into the trigger input of a sound module; the output is then sent back to the amp and speaker.

Wish I could report that it works "really well"........ but it does produce a "bass drum-like sound"!

Anyone??

Mike

electrodrummer

Reaction score
I have a Meinl pickup cajon.
And a Roland EC10
And a Roland EC10m.... (this is fun to add to smaller cajons, like a lap one)