Meinl Sticks

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Recently went through through a display of various new models. Went home with a pair of "Big Apple Swing" sticks. If you're familar with VF Erskine rides, these will feel similar, but with a just slightly larger tip and shoulder. I often use VF SD10 Swingers, these Meinls seem like a cross between the two VF models. The sound to my ear has a bit more "metal" or "zing" than the ride stick.
All 8 or so pairs in the display had a very consitently light feel and sound, all rather high pitched wood, same with the pair I got. I don't have a high-ptiched pair of VF ride sticks, so I can't really compare them.

Here's a clip of an Agop TW played with the Meinl: https://soundcloud.com/seb234%2Fstrollin-tw
They also have a thinner "bop" model with a larger tip as well as various 5a, 5B etc. models.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I bet that cymbal sounds great with the Swingers (or anything maple).

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I stumbled upon Big Apple Bops and they might be my forever stick. I’ve been impressed with Meinl’s stick offerings.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bet that cymbal sounds great with the Swingers (or anything maple).
I might make a comparison soundfile, I think I have a pair of Swingers with an identical pitch.

Very pleased how it sounds with the Meinl. It brings out a clear bell tone in the ride sound, a more defined ton (that cymbal tends to sound very midrange-y). I often play with earplugs, this one was done without so that overtone had a certain a certain piercing qualiity that is a bit much up close, but it's actually what I want to hear from a distance or on record.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
I think I have a pair of Swingers with an identical pitch.
You are the one who made me realize how important stick pitch is. It can change the sound noticeably for the same model. I've had some cymbals where a change in stick pitch cured annoying over/undertones in a cymbal.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got a pair of the Big Apple Bops recently. Picked them because they were basically the same specs as the old Art Blakey signature sticks, but available off the shelf locally. I haven't been using them much because they are high pitched and definitely do bring out more high frequencies from my cymbals, but they have great feel and response.

Latest posts