Mel Lewis Signature Cymbals?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every video I've seen they sound excellent. Seen them around for years, but have a little itch to try them. Experiences?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 21” with a couple of rivets. Nice cymbal but I dont take it out too often. Words are tough but maybe “buttery“. It has a nice spread with a low pitched articulation. Despite the wash it is clear and controllable. It suits Mel’s playing style. Supportive, understated, blended, unobtrusive, subtle projection.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some 21s are very washy, in a high-pitched way, more like a large crash. Try before you buy.
Mehmet's legend series is practically the same design with a slightly different character.
The 19" (and the 18" from the Agop 1982 series) are more meaty than the 21 (or 20).

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a Zildjian guy, but I really like the sound of 21” Agop Mel Lewis ride sound (in videos) pretty much more than anything else I hear. I think either the 21” or the 19” will be my only Istanbul cymbal..but based on what Seb77 said maybe I should try both of them first and then decide.

Skeet6

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently picked up a beautiful used ML Agop 21", it quickly became my favorite! Seller said it was around 1900g, but I haven't weighed it. In fact, it hasn't come off the stand yet! I love it.
Mike B

toddbishop

Reaction score
Never owned one, I've known a lot of people who do. Never really heard or played one I particularly liked. I think with all Agops I would choose them personally-- the best of them are great, they can also be weird.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 21" that is very nice but not played. I wish I had a 22". I played one at a jazz jam and it was sweet. I had a buddy with a 19 (I think) and didn't like it........

Rallaei

Reaction score
I have a 21" I use as a leftside crash/ride - I love it! It fits right in with my old k's and my Craig Lauritsen ride.. They can be the best production level cymbal out there.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are very nice, balanced, traditional sounding rides with a lower pitch.

Back when I was an endorser, I had Agop make me the first 22 Mel. Still have it. Turned out so good, it turned into a catalog item. Been thru several 21’s over the years, but they’ve passed on to others.

mwalk

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are very nice, balanced, traditional sounding rides with a lower pitch.

Back when I was an endorser, I had Agop make me the first 22 Mel. Still have it. Turned out so good, it turned into a catalog item. Been thru several 21’s over the years, but they’ve passed on to others.
By all means try before you buy. Or at lest have sound files of the cymbal. I bought onefew years ago after listening to some online. Each is probably very unique. The one I received was VERY disappointing. Very inconsistent from area to area and unpleasant overtones in the wash.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned two of the 19” crash rides and a 21” ride with two rivets . The 21” ride was 2040 grams and all wobble and no stock definition - was really disappointed in this one as I had high hopes it could be THE big band ride I have been searching for . It wasn’t so off it went .

The two 19” Crash rides were not particularly rideable at all and were too gongy to make good crashes . Neither worked particularly well as a ride or crash .

I am still interested in this series even after this but I would not buy them unless I could try them in person with my own sticks .

Pibroch

Reaction score
Every video I've seen they sound excellent. Seen them around for years, but have a little itch to try them. Experiences?
Play a pair of 13" hats
Bottom: 847 g
Top 775 g

Very expressive at low volumes at varying degrees of partially closed - a joy to play. They can fit in with everything I play from quiet to medium unmiked.

(For very quiet I often use a 10" pair of Masterwork Natural but these can sometimes be too dark for what is needed, even though they are much quieter than the "Mels".)